BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

2009 E90 M3 MT off throttle lots of resistence

Hi All,

I have not posted in a long time. I have a 2009 E90 M3 that just went over 70K miles. I drove to LA and back this weekend via i5. On the way back, I noticed my car felt strange. Symptoms that just started suddenly:

* When I let off the gas on the freeway while in gear, seems to unnaturally decelerate

* Steering feels stiffer than normal. Power steering still works but it just feels stiffer

* Feels like the car is tram lining more than usual

* Overall, the car just feels like there is a lot of resistence.

i5 has just gotten more terrible with massive dips. Is it possible I bottom out the car and it messed something out? I looked underneath the car w/o a jack and there seems to be some of the bottom covering a bit askew near the middle of the car.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciate. I am not even sure if I should drive it tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 01:35 AM   #2
Arben
Dunce Cap
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M

It's possibly a front end pulley (alt/power steering/idler/etc).
Or have you checked your tire pressure?
Any weird noise?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arben View Post
It's possibly a front end pulley (alt/power steering/idler/etc).
Or have you checked your tire pressure?
Any weird noise?
Thanks for the response. I have not checked the tire pressure but the TPS hasn't gone off. With the hood up, the engine seems to make a ticking sound a lot more than ever before. At highway speeds, the exhausts sound seems to be a bit louder. The steering and suspension feels sloppy.

How could I rule out that it is not an issue with the engine? No warnings on vehicle status.

Want to take the car into Dinan but don't want to drive it if it is possible an engine issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Arben
Dunce Cap
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M

There's a lot of things it can be. Hell it might be engine mounts too. You need a pro to diagnose, I'd take it to whoever is a European shop nearby for a quick check up. Probably a tensioner pulley. Pull off the accessory belts and spin the pulleys. If it's hard to spin, replace it. Probably above your skill level, but any European Indy mechanic can diagnose this pretty easy. Check your tire pressure first though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #5
dallas06m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 6MT SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun
Hi All,

I have not posted in a long time. I have a 2009 E90 M3 that just went over 70K miles. I drove to LA and back this weekend via i5. On the way back, I noticed my car felt strange. Symptoms that just started suddenly:

* When I let off the gas on the freeway while in gear, seems to unnaturally decelerate

* Steering feels stiffer than normal. Power steering still works but it just feels stiffer

* Feels like the car is tram lining more than usual

* Overall, the car just feels like there is a lot of resistence.

i5 has just gotten more terrible with massive dips. Is it possible I bottom out the car and it messed something out? I looked underneath the car w/o a jack and there seems to be some of the bottom covering a bit askew near the middle of the car.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciate. I am not even sure if I should drive it tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
Have you messed with your M mode settings lately? I noticed the deceleration feeling after adjusting to Sport Plus power. Servtronic in sport mode makes the steering stiffer and tramline more.