BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
sandyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

BMW driving schools

Hi, just purchased a new M3 and am thinking of going back to school, bmw driving school that is.

Any comments, experiences, suggestions, etc. that you could share.

Thanks sandyc
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #2
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

I did the one day M school on the 22nd in South Carolina. Loved it. Plenty of real seat time. Very informative and, more importantly, incredibly fun. Drove M 3's, 4's, and 5's. Really shows what our cars are capable of. Playing at the limit in a safe manner was probably of most benefit. Very confidence inspiring. You feel safer once you've seen what these M cars can do. Ask any questions....
Bottom line- well worth time and money.
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyc View Post
Hi, just purchased a new M3 and am thinking of going back to school, bmw driving school that is.

Thanks sandyc
Definitely lookup local BMW CCA driving school (DE) and auto-cross (autoX) events.
If you are not yet a CCA member, join here: www.bmwcca.org

NY-chapter already ran theirs one and only event for the year in June (www.nybmwcca.org/school.php), but NJ chapter has many more scheduled, including one later in September coupled with Oktoberfest activities on the Joysee shore (http://ofest.bmwcca.org/register and njbmwcca.org).

See you on track!

a
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Rude Boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 6MT

I was in California over the weekend I did the one day M School in Thermal on the 29th, the facility itself is not completely done but the track is..... It was a blast I did learn a good amount of things finally got my drift career started 2 lol (still need a lot more practice) but overall good experience the instructors were good very knowledgeable and not afraid to tell you what your doing wrong. They will help you get your line down on the track and help you be where your supposed to with the aid of radios in every car and instructors looking on, It was 110+ degrees out in the desert heat that was a negative but car still performed like a champ and I did also cuz i paid for it lol. My suggestion do it you wont regret it, the school will make you a better driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Work your way up, it takes time. My progression was from the 1 day BMW performance driving school (non-M), then a track day with an instructor, then the BMW M school. I was appreciative of the experience I had going into the M school, its really a serious 2 day course on aggressive driving.
      09-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Another idea is to buy a data logger for your car, find a pro locally who will do some laps for you to gather baseline data, give you coaching on driving and how to interpret the data and the gaps between your data sets and go from there.

Could save a lot of money versus the schools.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Definitely lookup local BMW CCA driving school (DE) and auto-cross (autoX) events.
If you are not yet a CCA member, join here: www.bmwcca.org

NY-chapter already ran theirs one and only event for the year in June (www.nybmwcca.org/school.php), but NJ chapter has many more scheduled, including one later in September coupled with Oktoberfest activities on the Joysee shore (http://ofest.bmwcca.org/register and njbmwcca.org).

See you on track!

a
I agree. How much is M school? $3k? How much is one CCA event? $300?

I would go to ten CCA events rather than one M school day if you are serious about actually learning something and improving.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you look around enough in socal you can get track days a low as $67/day so if you are just looking for seat time you can do it for much cheaper than than several thousand for a school or several hundred for BMWCCA or PCA or etc.

Don't count on any type of instruction, and the environment will sometimes be closer to test and tune / race prep than to a "driving school"
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #9
sandyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
sandyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you all for your information suggestions!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #11
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Don't just attend an open lapping day because it's less expensive. That's bad advice. You'll need proper instruction in a more structured environment.

Start with a BMWCCA driving school (HPDE). M school is awfully expensive and not at all worth it in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #12
sandyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the good info chili cheese.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Don't just attend an open lapping day because it's less expensive. That's bad advice. You'll need proper instruction in a more structured environment.

Start with a BMWCCA driving school (HPDE). M school is awfully expensive and not at all worth it in my opinion.
+1 on getting full-time instruction from a someone in the passenger seat with you all the time. BMWCCCA DE's cover that in spades.

DO resist the temptation to modify your car or going cheap with "lapping" or "test and tune" days at the track until AFTER you've done a few DEs.

Buying "data loggers" for a novice is only good for documented all the things you are likely doing wrong (going slow in fast places and fast in slow ones) and will likely end up collecting detailed data on how you stuff yourself into a wall.
Please don't do that anymore than you would buy data loggers to learn how to fly the DIY way, without an instructor!

a
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
+1 on getting full-time instruction from a someone in the passenger seat with you all the time. BMWCCCA DE's cover that in spades.

DO resist the temptation to modify your car or going cheap with "lapping" or "test and tune" days at the track until AFTER you've done a few DEs.

Buying "data loggers" for a novice is only good for documented all the things you are likely doing wrong (going slow in fast places and fast in slow ones) and will likely end up collecting detailed data on how you stuff yourself into a wall.
Please don't do that anymore than you would buy data loggers to learn how to fly the DIY way, without an instructor!

a
Just wanted to reiterate that my full post was

Quote:
buy a data logger for your car, find a pro locally who will do some laps for you to gather baseline data, give you coaching on driving and how to interpret the data and the gaps between your data sets and go from there.
Note that I agree instruction is important
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If you look around enough in socal you can get track days a low as $67/day so if you are just looking for seat time you can do it for much cheaper than than several thousand for a school or several hundred for BMWCCA or PCA or etc.

Don't count on any type of instruction, and the environment will sometimes be closer to test and tune / race prep than to a "driving school"
ha that's why I recommended CCA at first. I haven't run with them in 2 years now. The last straw was when I asked to run in A group and then was told it was very strict and hard to get in.

That last event, I'm just coasting along putt putting in my first three sessions and then lapping everyone when we did the A+B group. So never going there again.

They do have a good classroom but in my opinion it starts getting too technical. For me it's just about driving the damn car after a certain point and I don't want to hear students talking about weight transfer, trail braking, etc when their tires aren't even squealing yet. LOL.

I guess it can be hit or miss or depending on your local chapter because there are plenty of crazy skillful drivers there.

edit: I will add that it is a MUST for fundamentals though.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
sandyc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #17
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:

Thanks sandyc
Im planning on going later this year, friends have done it and they say its a blast. Pricey but a blast.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #18
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese

on a side note, do you think m school is better for those who are open passing instructor level drivers?

i just want to go get special treatment, a helmet, and thrash every single m car they have available.

i have a feeling they will be amazed at my skidpad skills
      09-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #19
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca
Quote:

Thanks sandyc
Im planning on going later this year, friends have done it and they say its a blast. Pricey but a blast.
thats the difference right there.

mschool is for fun (and a false sense of all of a sudden being a so called better driver).

cca events over time is where you will gain real skill.
      09-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #20
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
on a side note, do you think m school is better for those who are open passing instructor level drivers?

i just want to go get special treatment, a helmet, and thrash every single m car they have available.

If you don't want to beat on your own car, then M School is a good choice. I thought I read on here that they aren't doing the helmets any more?

If you are an A+ student (like I am) then I would imagine M School would be a waste of money. I don't think you want to waste time doing braking exercises, skid pad and lead follow....you want to go fast doing open lapping right?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 07:55 PM   #21
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese
Quote:

If you don't want to beat on your own car, then M School is a good choice. I thought I read on here that they aren't doing the helmets any more?

If you are an A+ student (like I am) then I would imagine M School would be a waste of money. I don't think you want to waste time doing braking exercises, skid pad and lead follow....you want to go fast doing open lapping right?
oh i thought they had lapping sessions and drift sessions. nvm then .
      09-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #22
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
oh i thought they had lapping sessions and drift sessions. nvm then .
The track at SC is a very short track. It is more like a long go kart track than a full size road course.
Appreciate 0