BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
oppy8567
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Radiator Support

Hi everyone, I have a 135i which have a slighty radiator support(front panel) damaged. I just order a replacement. Does anyone here know how to replace the radiator support? Do I need to remove the radiator to remove it?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I've never removed the radiator support bracket, but have done a lot of work around that area of the car (including pulling the radiator). I'm 99% sure you can replace the bracket without removing the radiator, but it may be easier to just pull the radiator while you're at it. You'll obviously need to remove the bumper cover, the bumper, unbolt the headlight supports and head lights, remove the intercooler, and the intake scoops. There are two rubber screws (~3/4" diameter) on top of the bracket that support the radiator from the top, and if I remember correctly two plastic/rubber blocks that support the radiator from the bottom. The blocks are just above where the intercooler t-torx screws are located. I believe they snap into the bracket/frame. The snap works like the connection on a telephone cord. To release, press the "ramp" clip toward the inside of the car and the block will drop down. If you go this route, I would pull the radiator fan out so that you can manipulate the radiator a little easier. That being said, removing the radiator fan is the biggest challenge. There's a t-torx screw on the passenger side of the fan shroud (at the top) that needs to be removed and clips (similar to what I attempted to describe above) midway down the side of the shroud. Once the fan is released, you need to move it around quite a bit to get it to come out from the top. You'll actually find that one of the radiator hoses is the biggest obstacle to removing the fan from the top, but it can be done without removing the hose. Wear gloves or your knuckles will be shredded, and be careful not to damage the radiator fins. Oh, one more thing. There are a few aluminum rivets where the bumper bolts to the frame that you will need to drill out. You'll need a long drill bit to reach the rivets. Probably 10-12" long. I think the rivets are 3/16".
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
oppy8567
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Re:

Hey, Thank you for the reply. I think I will try to remove the radiator support without removing the radiator. My only concern is, if I remove the bolts that connect radiator on to radiator support, will the radiator have any other supports to let it stay in place?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppy8567 View Post
Hey, Thank you for the reply. I think I will try to remove the radiator support without removing the radiator. My only concern is, if I remove the bolts that connect radiator on to radiator support, will the radiator have any other supports to let it stay in place?
Only the hoses.
Appreciate 0