Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
mjcecil
Sometimes, I wear a cape...
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Black Sapphire

Bluetooth auto-plays visual voicemail

Anyone else having the issue where your Visual Voicemail app starts playing immediately when connecting to the car?

It's driving me insane. Plus, I'm not interested in my passengers hearing what might be personal messages every time I start my car.

Phone is a GS6 Edge.

I just want my phone to do nothing when I connect.

Help!
      09-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The OEM Bluetooth is following what your phone is doing. If I manually go to Voicemail in my iPhone and hit "Play" then it will play over the speakers. But only then.

Most probably there is a setting in your phone for autoplay Visual VoiceMail. If so then disable it. Otherwise you will have to disable OEM Bluetooth in the car and enabled it ad hoc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcecil View Post
Anyone else having the issue where your Visual Voicemail app starts playing immediately when connecting to the car?

It's driving me insane. Plus, I'm not interested in my passengers hearing what might be personal messages every time I start my car.

Phone is a GS6 Edge.

I just want my phone to do nothing when I connect.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
mjcecil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The OEM Bluetooth is following what your phone is doing. If I manually go to Voicemail in my iPhone and hit "Play" then it will play over the speakers. But only then.

Most probably there is a setting in your phone for autoplay Visual VoiceMail. If so then disable it. Otherwise you will have to disable OEM Bluetooth in the car and enabled it ad hoc.
I agree that there is something in the phone that autoplays voicemail. But, it is responding to a play request issued by the BMW. I know this because in the Audi, it never happened on connect, and my Bose system at home does not autoplay when BT connected. And, it's a BMW thing not limited to the M3. It happens this way in my X5 as well.

So, I will pursue the phone angle (Androidcentral, here I come), but it would be nice to tell the BMW to "please do not issue a play command when BT connects."

Mark
      09-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

The phone can only respond to something external if it is programmed to do so. So still looks to me that your Visual Voicemail is programmed to play automatically at pairing with a particular Bluetooth profile.

Quote:
I agree that there is something in the phone that autoplays voicemail. But, it is responding to a play request issued by the BMW. I know this because in the Audi, it never happened on connect, and my Bose system at home does not autoplay when BT connected. And, it's a BMW thing not limited to the M3. It happens this way in my X5 as well.

So, I will pursue the phone angle (Androidcentral, here I come), but it would be nice to tell the BMW to "please do not issue a play command when BT connects."

Mark
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
mjcecil
Rep

Quote:
The phone can only respond to something external if it is programmed to do so. So still looks to me that your Visual Voicemail is programmed to play automatically at pairing with a particular Bluetooth profile.
Two things about that.

First, I am very aware of the causal/deterministic nature of the relationship here. No need to point out that my phone must react only in a way that was predetermined by intent (or unintended consequence of some other intent). Thus, yes, my phone is responding in a predetermined way to the play command when a media player is not already selected.

Second, in that regard, my question was less about "how do I get my car to not play my voicemail" and more "how do I get my car to not try to play ANYTHING upon connect". This would solve the issue entirely and allow me to initiate whatever music/audio I wanted into the A2DP stream. This is the question that hasn't been answered.

As a side note, I did discover that it wasn't my VVM app at all that was playing, but the built-in Samsung Music Player. My VVM app "autosaves" old VM's as mp3's or aac's or some such audio file right in the filesystem of the phone. So, the Samsung music player catalogs them, and given no other media player currently running, a PLAY command via A2DP will initiate the Samsung Music Player, which immediately plays everything it has cataloged, which, in this case, is the voicemails in the filesystem. I just removed all the VM's from the filesystem and turned off autosave. Problem semi-fixed.

Now to figure how to root the phone, and disable that app (Yay Samsung bloat).

mjc
      09-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I've had weird behaviour happened twice that my car would be dialing my phone number ... I've thought it was related to coding but there's some glitches I think in the HU.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

You asked a question, it was answered twice, then you said that it is not answered, then discovered that your problem is something else in your phone while I answered twice that whatever the problem was it was indeed in your phone.

By the way, you are not the only member reading your own thread. So yes, I do have the need to be precise in my responses, even if you get "confused".

Quote:
Two things about that.

First, I am very aware of the causal/deterministic nature of the relationship here. No need to point out that my phone must react only in a way that was predetermined by intent (or unintended consequence of some other intent). Thus, yes, my phone is responding in a predetermined way to the play command when a media player is not already selected.

Second, in that regard, my question was less about "how do I get my car to not play my voicemail" and more "how do I get my car to not try to play ANYTHING upon connect". This would solve the issue entirely and allow me to initiate whatever music/audio I wanted into the A2DP stream. This is the question that hasn't been answered.

As a side note, I did discover that it wasn't my VVM app at all that was playing, but the built-in Samsung Music Player. My VVM app "autosaves" old VM's as mp3's or aac's or some such audio file right in the filesystem of the phone. So, the Samsung music player catalogs them, and given no other media player currently running, a PLAY command via A2DP will initiate the Samsung Music Player, which immediately plays everything it has cataloged, which, in this case, is the voicemails in the filesystem. I just removed all the VM's from the filesystem and turned off autosave. Problem semi-fixed.

Now to figure how to root the phone, and disable that app (Yay Samsung bloat).

mjc
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #8
mjcecil
Rep

Quote:
You asked a question, it was answered twice, then you said that it is not answered, then discovered that your problem is something else in your phone while I answered twice that whatever the problem was it was indeed in your phone.

By the way, you are not the only member reading your own thread. So yes, I do have the need to be precise in my responses, even if you get "confused".
I understand that you believe you provided helful information. You did, in fact provide information and speculation on two different occasions. However, I did not ask if the playing voicemail problem was a problem with my phone (or with the car). I merely asked if anyone had the same issue (assuming that a solution or helpful suggestion may already be known).

A point of fact: Neither the car nor the phone have a "problem." They are both behaving exactly as designed (well, at least with respect to this particular issue).

With that in mind, the implicit question which I should have asked explicity is, "Since I cannot solve this annoyance at the phone level, is there a way in the CIC to suppress the behavior in which the car's media system initiates a play command upon media device connection through Bluetooth, or upon a subsequent selection of that same device via the media menu? I would prefer to play my media of choice explicitly."

In any case, I am sorry I was not more specific, and have so thoroughly wasted your time.

mjc
      09-13-2015, 04:11 AM   #9
t0ny32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 328xi msport

Go to your general phone settings and check "smart settings". There is an option to choose what app starts automatically once connected to Bluetooth devices. See what you have and change accordingly. I don't have this issue on my LG G4 as my smart settings are set as I like.
Appreciate 0