BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Todd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2

M3 suspension parts on 135i

I have searched but cant find solid answers on suspension needs for a new to me E82 135i coupe. I see most doing the front M3 arms, but cant see what is common to do on the rear suspension with M3 parts, arms and bushings wise. Also what is the ideal sway bar upgrade ? OEM M3 bars, or an Eibach or H&R type setup ?

Also what does it take to get an E82 to allow M3 fitment shocks to be installed ? Any input is appreciated on front and rear suspension options.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

If you install M3 Rear lower arms you need to change to a M3 style damper or coilover. It means you have to mix and match between M style rear damper and 135i style front struts. That's ok if you know what you are doing, but it generally costs more to buy front and rear dampers separately. According to Fe1rx's thread where you posted earlier, the stock 135i lower arms and rubber damping mounting are actually stiff enough to give good performance with pretty much any dampers or coilover. The weight saving is quite marginal IMO. Technically the M3 style damper mounting is superior, but functionally they are equivalent, with the likely exception of heavy continuous track use and actual racing. The part that really needs upgrading for a for dual duty car is the soft expanded PU upper shock mount. I have replaced these with the Powerflex product on my car, following Fe1rx's testing. I also have the upper M3 arms / upper guide rods on my car (2 per side), but I still don't really know how much benefit there is besides saving a bit of weight.

Sway bars are really a matter of taste. What are you intending to use the car for? Do you prefer to install coilovers or use OE style springs and dampers?

Last edited by John_01; 10-12-2015 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0