EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

11-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Canadian ED Process

Hey Guys,

After going through the experience of ordering an M3 for a May ED and reading the boards here plus getting various responses from people it seems im getting conflicting information from my dealer vs people on here. That said all the feedback has been from people in the US so im wondering if I could get some feedback from people in Canada who recently did an ED. Better yet it would be great if someone booked an ED with The BMW Store in Vancouver so I can compare exactly my status and what I have been told vs your experience.

Two weeks ago I gave a deposit for a May 23rd ED. I was told they needed a week to confirm that date would be ok and to hold off booking my tickets etc. A week later i got an email from my SA saying "we have your day confirmed go ahead and book your tickets". I asked for some type of formal confirmation of this and he said "no such thing exists". I asked for a production number and he said I wouldnt get that until March or April.

I dont care about being able to check status of production. All i care about is a confirmation that my delivery date has been confirmed and i get something formal telling me this not unlike a hotel confirmation number when making a reservation.

Can you let me know what paperwork you got and when after giving a deposit for your ED? Keep in mind my deposit was placed more then 6 months before my delivery day.

thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

I did my ED last year and I got a confirmation email from someone at BMW Canada outlining all the details about 3 months before my ED date. I would suggest you send an email to europeandelivery@bmwgroup.ca to confirm the dates etc. before booking any hotels and travel.

Here's what the email looked like with all the private information removed:

Hi xxxxx,

The production number below has been assigned to European Delivery. This vehicle will be held in Munich for this order pending receipt of the appropriate paperwork.

Please ensure that the specifications in REX match your customer’s request. If they do not or if your customer wishes to change their delivery date, please notify europeandelivery@bmwgroup.ca immediately.

Customer: xxxxxx xxxxxx

Model: 2014 3C93 M3

Production #: xxxxxxxx

Confirmed Delivery Date: 28.06.2014 Time: TBD

Retailer Code: 9150

To secure your order, please forward the following to Distribution – European Delivery ASAP:

· Euro Del PO (original copy, i.e. not scanned, not photocopied).

· Copy of Sales Agreement

· Clear copy of customer’s passport photo

If your customer must cancel this order, please notify europeandelivery@bmwgroup.ca immediately.

Regards,

xxxxxx
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

thanks that helps. in so many words I was told I would get something about 3 months out as well. Im guessing that given i booked 6 months out there is probably nothing the dealer can give me even if they wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

I wouldn't worry too much. It's a pretty seamless process. I took a look through my old emails to see what else they gave me. I got my welcome package that gives you more information on the whole process, where to drop the cars off, rules in Europe, etc. about 3 weeks before my delivery date.

Enjoy the experience. I wish I could go do it all over again
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. It's a pretty seamless process. I took a look through my old emails to see what else they gave me. I got my welcome package that gives you more information on the whole process, where to drop the cars off, rules in Europe, etc. about 3 weeks before my delivery date.

Enjoy the experience. I wish I could go do it all over again
thanks. Yea my gut says everything should be fine, but im just a very detailed type of person so like all my confirmations etc. Come Feb march if I still dont see anything ill put some pressure on.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

As long as your SA has done ED before you should be able to trust what he says regarding delivery date. Enjoy! I've done ED 4 times now and it never gets old.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 01:22 AM   #7
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

I just put a deposit down and planning an ED for either March or April. I don't think I could do May since from what I've heard, it takes 2 months from ED date to get the car locally?

I'm in Toronto, so east side. I think west takes a bit longer? Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckJAI View Post
I just put a deposit down and planning an ED for either March or April. I don't think I could do May since from what I've heard, it takes 2 months from ED date to get the car locally?

I'm in Toronto, so east side. I think west takes a bit longer? Can anyone confirm?
Yup. The cars are trained from Halifax west.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
sunnyboy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 - SO/SS, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckJAI View Post

The bulk of the time it takes is from scheduling the boat and getting it on the boat and crossing the ocean. I did not do ED so I cannot say 100%, but I am sure there are those who did on this forum that can provide more info. However, I believe, at least for Torontonian, the car gets trucked directly from Halifax to Toronto for ED. Regular order is trained over to Concord then truck to dealers, but ED gets special treatment, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
duckJAI
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
The bulk of the time it takes is from scheduling the boat and getting it on the boat and crossing the ocean. I did not do ED so I cannot say 100%, but I am sure there are those who did on this forum that can provide more info. However, I believe, at least for Torontonian, the car gets trucked directly from Halifax to Toronto for ED. Regular order is trained over to Concord then truck to dealers, but ED gets special treatment, I believe.
Thanks! If any other Toronto ED'ers can chime in that would be great. I don't think I would do ED later than May since the summer time will get cut short
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
///Machiavelli
Big Mac
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY16 F80

Garage List
Keep in mind that mountain passes may still be snowed in in May. Is your priority to drive famed european roads in the summer or gridlocked, potholed Toronto streets? I did ED first week of May, so I speak from experience. Maybe do end of May, early June then you'll still get late summer in TO
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #12
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyboy View Post
Getting onto a boat is luck of the draw, depends when the car arrives at Bremerhaven from either the factory or from a ED dropoff location. This part of the process isn't really that long, some get lucky with immediate loading, others a week or so max. The biggest holdup for ED cars is the distance they have to travel to Bremerhaven - via truck - from their drop off location.

The port at Halifax and our rail transit system are the culprits that slow down our Cdn deliveries. And ED cars are disadvantaged at port because they are private cars and require a different customs clearance which can take 1-2 weeks in some cases. ED cars are transported by rail like all of the others unless you make special arrangements with BMW Canada - which is rare. And then they arrive at Concord, sit another week or two and then get trucked to the dealership. 7-8 weeks from drop off to re-delivery is the norm for CDN ED customers.
      11-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
mathan416
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
The port at Halifax and our rail transit system are the culprits that slow down our Cdn deliveries. And ED cars are disadvantaged at port because they are private cars and require a different customs clearance which can take 1-2 weeks in some cases. ED cars are transported by rail like all of the others unless you make special arrangements with BMW Canada - which is rare. And then they arrive at Concord, sit another week or two and then get trucked to the dealership. 7-8 weeks from drop off to re-delivery is the norm for CDN ED customers.
UGH. I was hoping to get my MINI which arrived in Halifax a week ago, next week. Sounds like it'll be after I get back from a three week business trip in December and it'll have to sit at the dealer. A nice early Christmas gift, I guess. LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #14
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

All true. Redelivery is the ugly side of ED. Halifax can be especially bad. Last winter, CN was unable to deal with weather for some reason, and cars sat at Autoport for weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Getting onto a boat is luck of the draw, depends when the car arrives at Bremerhaven from either the factory or from a ED dropoff location. This part of the process isn't really that long, some get lucky with immediate loading, others a week or so max. The biggest holdup for ED cars is the distance they have to travel to Bremerhaven - via truck - from their drop off location.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
mathan416
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
All true. Redelivery is the ugly side of ED. Halifax can be especially bad. Last winter, CN was unable to deal with weather for some reason, and cars sat at Autoport for weeks.
Almost all of those vehicles - certainly all the MINIs and a significant number of BMWs had to be replaced because the port tried to use salt water to help melt the snow. Not thinking about the impact to the electricals.
Appreciate 0