BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Question Upgraded suspension for an E88 M-sport?

Hey all,

As my title elludes to, I'm in the market to upgrade the "soft" M-sport suspension to something more aggressive/firm. Now note: I'm not looking for teeth shattering firm, just a more "sporty" firm that is not the slop my current M-sport suspension is. Also I would like to lower the car about half an inch (1.27cm).

I'm game for some coil-overs vs. the BMW spring upgrades but not sure where to go from there. I just want a sharper more sport suspension that doesn't have me puckering up my butthole when the road starts to dip and bump (like it does now!!!).

With the convertible in mind, should I spend the extra on adjustable dampening or is it not really needed? I'm considering one of these unless you can convince me otherwise:
  • Bilstein - PSS-10
  • ST XTA Performance Coilover System - Adjustable Damping
  • H&R Premium Performance Coilover Kit
  • KW V1 Series Coilover Kit

Thoughts?

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
The thing I don't like about all of those kits is that none of them are actually built for an E88. I went with Ground Control since they'll actually listen to what your plans are for the car and do the research to customize the kit for your car.

The adjustments on the dampers are hard enough to get to that you'll rarely ever end up changing them (especially just for daily driving) unless you get a 1m strut brace and cut holes in your trunk liner.

That being said, there are few people who have any issues with any of the off the shelf kits you've listed (and even fewer who have run more than one of them ).
      11-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
The thing I don't like about all of those kits is that none of them are actually built for an E88. I went with Ground Control since they'll actually listen to what your plans are for the car and do the research to customize the kit for your car.

The adjustments on the dampers are hard enough to get to that you'll rarely ever end up changing them (especially just for daily driving) unless you get a 1m strut brace and cut holes in your trunk liner.

That being said, there are few people who have any issues with any of the off the shelf kits you've listed (and even fewer who have run more than one of them ).
Did you just call them and go from there? I'm interested for sure!

I'm not planning to auto-x like you, but I don't want to rule it out and rather get a setup more customized for my car than a general "fits all E8x" type setups.

Thanks for the info!

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Did you just call them and go from there? I'm interested for sure!

I'm not planning to auto-x like you, but I don't want to rule it out and rather get a setup more customized for my car than a general "fits all E8x" type setups.

Thanks for the info!
I was pretty settled on their single adjustable street/school kit with the M3 rear camber links before I gave them a call, but you could just give them a call and they'll take care of you.

I'd also highly recommend budgeting out the M3 subframe bushings to be done sometime after that as well (even just for the street).
      11-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Already had the M3 bushings on the list!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
I was pretty settled on their single adjustable street/school kit with the M3 rear camber links before I gave them a call, but you could just give them a call and they'll take care of you.

I'd also highly recommend budgeting out the M3 subframe bushings to be done sometime after that as well (even just for the street).
Would you happen to know the part numbers or can you direct me to the obvious post I cannot find that has them listed please?

DISREGARD, I'm an idiot... first sticky, DUH!

Appreciate 1