BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

Metalic click/squeak

Alright I'm calling it quits. I've searched the 1 series forums and the 3 series forums, and can't find a post regarding the the sound that I have, and I can't find a definitive solution to the problems that are similar...

I've got a Metalic ticking/clicking noise coming from one of my drivers side wheels. Ive taken a video and uploaded to youtube (attached), and it happens while going straight, turning, accelerating, etc... It goes away instantly if I apply the brakes, but it starts again as soon as I release the pedal (which also causes a squeak from the pads/rotor when released).... I've tried to remove any rocks or debris from the metal cover behind the rotors, but that hasn't helped at all...

If I start the car, and drive without touching the brake pedal, there is no sound until I touch the pedal. As soon as I apply the brakes the sound starts.

I won't be able to jack up the car and take the tires off to get a better look until Friday, but any advice on what it could be/what to look for would be great.

Thanks
      12-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I saw your post on facebook. What Pads and rotors are you running?
      12-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
I saw your post on facebook. What Pads and rotors are you running?
Oem rotors with Cool carbon Pads. Fronts were changed about 1000km ago, Rears about 500km. Greased everything properly and used noise free "liberally" on the backing plates.
      12-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

i feel you man,
i am having the EXACT same noise, check with friends on drive bys and such, they have confirmed that driving alongside me the noise i coming from the LEFT REAR wheel,
i plan on trying a small drive around with removing the backing plates and the retainer spring from the rear left brake, only for a short drive around to see if this is the culprit!
      12-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba
i feel you man,
i am having the EXACT same noise, check with friends on drive bys and such, they have confirmed that driving alongside me the noise i coming from the LEFT REAR wheel,
i plan on trying a small drive around with removing the backing plates and the retainer spring from the rear left brake, only for a short drive around to see if this is the culprit!
You may get a brutal rattle if you remove the spring and the guide pins aren't firmly in place. My left rear backing shield is definitely looser than the right side one, but it didn't seem to be contacting the rotor anywhere. I'm installing front mud flaps (sadly) on friday to protect my paint from rocks as much as I can, so I'll be tearing apart the rear brakes at the same time. Let me know if you find out what's causing it in your car.
      12-04-2015, 04:56 AM   #6
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep

i am aware on the consequences of what i am trying to do, but as i said, it will be only for a short spin, just to make sure that it is not the backing spring, i mean, if the noise changes in anyway atleast i know i am in the right direction,
i have also noticed that if i am in a quiet place like my underground parking and i pull and release on my parking brake quickly a few times i can hear the same noise character coming from my rear left wheel, could it be a lose handbrake cable or spring?
      12-04-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i am aware on the consequences of what i am trying to do, but as i said, it will be only for a short spin, just to make sure that it is not the backing spring, i mean, if the noise changes in anyway atleast i know i am in the right direction,
i have also noticed that if i am in a quiet place like my underground parking and i pull and release on my parking brake quickly a few times i can hear the same noise character coming from my rear left wheel, could it be a lose handbrake cable or spring?
I should've clarified what I meant... I figured it may be difficult to hear the squeak if there's an added rattle from the pins... There was a post a whil ago by a guy who's ebrake was contacting the rotor and causing a grinding noise. He sanded down the rust from the where it was contacting and that worked for him.. I had pressure washed the hell out of my rear tire yesterday and the noise was gone until late tonight so I don't think it's dirt or a rock... I'll update tomorrow when I can take the wheel off and take a better look.
      01-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep

well, got some bad news
took apart the entire rear subframe, while upgrading parts
rear m3 control arms, diff, diff bushings, rear top shock bushes, rear antirol bar
took apart the handbrake cables, the hubs, dust shields, everything.
put it all back together and..... the same noise still presists!

wtf?

im done with chasing after that noise, if anyone else has a better insight on this, i will be grateful

p.s -
the DCT diff is a B1TCH to open! the pinion nut is a real pain in the a$$

Name:  20160104_155033_1.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  333.0 KB
      01-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
well, got some bad news
took apart the entire rear subframe, while upgrading parts
rear m3 control arms, diff, diff bushings, rear top shock bushes, rear antirol bar
took apart the handbrake cables, the hubs, dust shields, everything.
put it all back together and..... the same noise still presists!

wtf?

im done with chasing after that noise, if anyone else has a better insight on this, i will be grateful

p.s -
the DCT diff is a B1TCH to open! the pinion nut is a real pain in the a$$

Attachment 1343090
I had the entire brake system taken apart, but couldn't figure out how to remove the dust shield so I also gave up on finding the noise. Although when I put it all back together I noticed there was a "brush" sound for every rotation of the rotor within the caliper, even with pads removed.

Some days the squeak is there, others it's not. I might take a better look in the summer if it's still happening, and possibly try adjusting the ebrake at the same time.
      01-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep

i have adjusted the e-brake, nothing has changed, i even took a rubber hammer and just started hitting random parts just to see if i can hear something that ressembles that noise
nada, as soon as i went for a drive it started ticking again
      01-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i have adjusted the e-brake, nothing has changed, i even took a rubber hammer and just started hitting random parts just to see if i can hear something that ressembles that noise
nada, as soon as i went for a drive it started ticking again
I'd have to assume it's the wheel hub or something not visible when disassembled. It Doesnt make sense that absolutely nothing is solving the problem. Let me know if you find anything else on the issue.

How are you finding all the m3 suspension to feel, though?
      01-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep

i am still in the break-in period for my new lsd, so after the upcoming oil change and after i get to attack some corners i will update this post