proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
HuskyBMW
Dr. Feelgood
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

How many miles on stock tires?

Just finished reading thru the latest MotorTrend and read the long-term review on the Z/28. Unless I mis-read, it looks like they went thru 3 sets of tires in 12 months on that thing. Told my wife I must be doing something wrong since I have had my M3 for 9 months and my tires are still in pretty good shape. Holy moly, they must have been driving that thing hard and/or done a lot of track days. But this also made me think, how many miles are people getting on the stock tires?

On a side note, there was also an article comparing the new GT350R and Z/28 and gave lap times at Chuckwalla Valley Racing with Probst as the driver. I briefly looked around but couldn't find any comparable times for M3/4. Anybody know of lap times at that raceway for the M?

Happy Holidays!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

The Z/28 has Pirelli Trofeo R's on it which are basically track tires. They weren't meant to last, only to get you around the track as quickly as possible while have some semblance of streetability. Add 500+hp, aggressive alignment, and 3800+lbs of weight to the equation, and you have a vehicle that is very, very hard on tires.
Appreciate 0