Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
brad-cam
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, E46 M3, F12 640, F80

ECS Tuning Spacers - Hub Fit Clearance

Anyone running the ECS Tuning spacers on their F8x ?

I just put a set of ECS 12.5mm spacers on my brand new F80 (50 miles on it)
and one thing I noticed was that the hub centric fit between the hub on the car and the spacer was not tight. I could feel a slight amount of play - hard to estimate the amount but really slight, enough that sliding the spacer against the hub face could make a clicking noise from the play in the spacer to hub fit.

I have used Turner spacers in the past on my E60 M5 and I seem to remember the hub fit being tighter.

During the road test I sense a very very slight vibration at 60mph+ but to be honest it's very hard to detect and I haven't had the car long enough to know if it was there in the stock configuration.

The ECS spacers are very nicely made - great finish, clearly precision made.

Any experiences or advice ?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
brad-cam
Private
Rep

Update, I test fit a 12mm spacer from VR Speed Factory (http://www.vr-speed.com/performance/...eel-bolts.html).

These VR spacers are also very nicely made and finished. And they have the same slight looseness of fit on the hub. When you place it on the hub, it can moved very slightly such that you can make it "click". I would expect a slight interference fit.

Seems like it might be the hubs have a little tolerance in them on the F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Maxis
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F83

If the hub is dirty, rusted, or pitted use a wire brush to clean up the surface. Wipe down the entire hub surface, making sure it is clean and smooth.
      01-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
brad-cam
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
If the hub is dirty, rusted, or pitted use a wire brush to clean up the surface. Wipe down the entire hub surface, making sure it is clean and smooth.
Yeah, car is 1 week old and never driven in the rain yet, so hubs are factory new
Appreciate 0