BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-01-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Board of Drivers Survey

Did anyone else receive a survey request from corporate lately? I got an email a few days ago asking for my thoughts specifically regarding Autonomous Driving. It's no surprise that many corporations are racing to develop the technology, infrastructure, and product integration plans for self-driving cars. Pretty routine/obvious questions about top usage models, top concerns, etc. I responded mainly with the fact that I'd personally "never" rely on an autonomous car. The ONLY time I'd consider it is for long trips, i.e. replacement for a train or bus ride.
My personal opinion here is not the point of this post. The last two questions of the survey are:
1. "Have you ever driven a car on a race track?"
2. "If you answered yes to the previous question, would you ever utilize a Track Mode feature of an Autonomous Capable car wherein it would lead on you on practice laps and point out proper apexes and breaking points?"

Now THAT got my attention!

Imagine future generations of ///M ZCP cars that had this feature? Never thought they'd want to take on the liability, but perhaps they are willing to investigate.
I've done plenty of HPDE events and wonder if organizers would ever allow/take on this extra/huge liability? Wonder if BMW lawyers would ever let the engineers put this feature in? Would it be at-speed or just slow-speed recon laps? Very interesting questions and scenarios to ponder, but it's cool to see that they are at least thinking about it!
      02-01-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doanster View Post
Did anyone else receive a survey request from corporate lately? I got an email a few days ago asking for my thoughts specifically regarding Autonomous Driving. It's no surprise that many corporations are racing to develop the technology, infrastructure, and product integration plans for self-driving cars. Pretty routine/obvious questions about top usage models, top concerns, etc. I responded mainly with the fact that I'd personally "never" rely on an autonomous car. The ONLY time I'd consider it is for long trips, i.e. replacement for a train or bus ride.
My personal opinion here is not the point of this post. The last two questions of the survey are:
1. "Have you ever driven a car on a race track?"
2. "If you answered yes to the previous question, would you ever utilize a Track Mode feature of an Autonomous Capable car wherein it would lead on you on practice laps and point out proper apexes and breaking points?"

Now THAT got my attention!

Imagine future generations of ///M ZCP cars that had this feature? Never thought they'd want to take on the liability, but perhaps they are willing to investigate.
I've done plenty of HPDE events and wonder if organizers would ever allow/take on this extra/huge liability? Wonder if BMW lawyers would ever let the engineers put this feature in? Would it be at-speed or just slow-speed recon laps? Very interesting questions and scenarios to ponder, but it's cool to see that they are at least thinking about it!
I also received the survey and my thoughts on self driving are the same as yours. I was very surprised at the track mode feature.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:35 AM   #3
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Received the invitation to B O D but not the survey, yet.
Very interesting last questions. I mirror your thoughts regarding those questions.