Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
Scarper
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 MG/SO

Scared to wash my car

The rubber trim on my M3 went bad - sorry I don't have a picture.

It looked like it was 10 years old (grey and mottled as opposed to black) and the creaking from the cf roof was unbearable. They said it was acid rain or chemicals from a car wash. I remember reading somewhere before that this happens from time to time with BMWs but can't remember where I read it.

After much arguing with the dealer (and my wife playing bad cop) they changed it.

When she picked it up (I was out of the country at the time) they issued a dire warning that if it happens again we will have to pay for it and that we need to check which chemicals are in use before using a car wash. They have no advice on what chemicals are good / bad though.

My problem is that the car is dirty and I have no information on what is a "safe" product. My bigger problem is I'm disappoint that my car can be damaged by a car wash that a $10k Chevy can cope with.

Anybody have advice as to what I should do?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Whole subforum for this: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=630
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

I hand wash my vehicle twice a month...it's a two hour affair, but I am in control of the endeavor. It is convenient to have a machine wash, but your vehicle is at risk for damage, as these facilities are designed to accommodate a wide spectrum of vehicles/trucks.

If you have the means, maybe enlist the help of a mobile detailer who can clean your vehicle at your place of work (not home for safety reasons).

Most of us have little time to spare, but I actually enjoy the time outside, as it is a period of respite for me.

Turn on some tunes and grab a beverage while you work...it can be enjoyable.

Besides this forum, try autogeek.net...they have a plethora of info there.

Good luck.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 2
      03-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
I hand wash my vehicle twice a month...it's a two hour affair, but I am in control of the endeavor. It is convenient to have a machine wash, but your vehicle is at risk for damage, as these facilities are designed to accommodate a wide spectrum of vehicles/trucks.

If you have the means, maybe enlist the help of a mobile detailer who can clean your vehicle at your place of work (not home for safety reasons).

Most of us have little time to spare, but I actually enjoy the time outside, as it is a period of respite for me.

Turn on some tunes and grab a beverage while you work...it can be enjoyable.

Besides this forum, try autogeek.net...they have a plethora of info there.

Good luck.
You got that right. Most of us on this forum wash, wax and vacuum our own cars. I know I do. I don't trust automatic car washes. The only time some else washes my M3 is when I take it to the bmw dealership and they do a hand wash after service.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Car wash? Don't go to a car wash.

I had that and used some black restore. Problem gone.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I go to a touchless one in the winter, since you know, there is no flowing water outside from November to March/April.

If your car has a problem, bring it in and get it repaired.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprgeorge View Post
You got that right. Most of us on this forum wash, wax and vacuum our own cars. I know I do. I don't trust automatic car washes. The only time some else washes my M3 is when I take it to the bmw dealership and they do a hand wash after service.
Sorry not to spoil your fun and excitement, you actually let the Bmw dealer wash your car, did you check for swirls recently ?

OP, what are you scared about, hand washing your car by yourself or automatic washes?

Any car shampoo you buy online from a reputable supplier should be safe. Stay away from Canadian tire shampoos

If you must go to a touchless car wash, then clean your trims right afterwards and dress them regularly (even when u hand wash car), here's a thread where we helped the OP rejuvenate and maintain his windshield trim http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1164827

Last edited by aboulfad; 03-12-2016 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0