M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

03-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
Cali01
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 Lexus LX570

S63 AMG Sedan thoughts?

I'm really close friends with a GM of a Mercedes benz dealer and he just gave me a really good offer on an leftover 15 S63, MSRP of 161 and he offered me 137 and I can probably get it lower. Early last year I put in an order for a Turbo S but ended up canceling because there was a investment opportunity that I could not pass up. Now that I'm back in the market for something fast, the S63 really pulls at my strings. S63 is kind of a mature car for someone my age, but I always been ahead of the curve taste wise so I dont think it too far out of the realm. I drive a LX570 so there is a enough said there about my old boring taste.

Anyways has anybody had any seat time in an S63? Any long term experience with the M157 motor? What are your guys thoughts on the S63? What number should I aim for if I do go with the deal? I plan to keep the car for about 90k miles which usual happens within 4 years for me, would it be worth to get an extended warranty?

Thanks in Advance
-Cali01
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
Rosspbig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I looked into S63s briefly before I got my M5. Sweet car, but definitely more of a cruiser. The other thing is how much those cars depreciate. Those expensive mercs tend to take a big hit after the first couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
Niko1414
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 720S, s550, S7, 997GT3RS

We have a 2015 S550 that my wife drives and we love it for the kids and long trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

A perfect car for majority of people at age 45+ who need excitement and luxurious ... not 20s
I believe AMG GTS is a better choice for your age... IMO
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Two of my buds in Houston have that car. They really are nice
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

That's a smoking deal which helps on the depreciation.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #7
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

One of my company car is S550, they are very nice cars. And S63 is plenty fast in straight-line (AZ tested it 0-100km 3.9, 0-160km 8.1, 0-200km 12.6), M5 would have to go WOT to beat it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Cali01
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosspbig View Post
I looked into S63s briefly before I got my M5. Sweet car, but definitely more of a cruiser. The other thing is how much those cars depreciate. Those expensive mercs tend to take a big hit after the first couple of years.
Exactly what I need tbh. I commute 150 round trip five days a week so comfort plays a bug role. What was your overall impression of the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko1414 View Post
We have a 2015 S550 that my wife drives and we love it for the kids and long trips.
How has yours been holding up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
A perfect car for majority of people at age 45+ who need excitement and luxurious ... not 20s
I believe AMG GTS is a better choice for your age... IMO
I know its the same thing my father said, but I reverse commute from the Bay to Valley everyday, 150 mile round trip and a GTS I feel wouldnt be the best commuter. Maybe in a year or two Id consider it as a weekend car. I tried commuting in my fathers GT3 for about a week definitely not about that life, I like to set the cruise control at 80 and just get to work in comfort with minimal effort and the same getting home. It's nice for change to take different car to the office every now and then but every day I feel like it would lose its charm and kind of be cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Two of my buds in Houston have that car. They really are nice
Do you know of any issues they have had so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
That's a smoking deal which helps on the depreciation.
Basically took the first year hit. He really wants to move the car out of inventory he called me this morning asked if I had an offer. I'm still deciding whether to buy the car personally or lease it through my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
One of my company car is S550, they are very nice cars. And S63 is plenty fast in straight-line (AZ tested it 0-100km 3.9, 0-160km 8.1, 0-200km 12.6), M5 would have to go WOT to beat it.
Wouldnt expect a S550 to be that fast but wow
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #9
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

get the E63S. it's plenty quick, AWD. considering this car as well, along with the m5. i love the E because size wise it feels just like my c63.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #10
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali01 View Post
I know its the same thing my father said, but I reverse commute from the Bay to Valley everyday, 150 mile round trip and a GTS I feel wouldnt be the best commuter. Maybe in a year or two Id consider it as a weekend car. I tried commuting in my fathers GT3 for about a week definitely not about that life, I like to set the cruise control at 80 and just get to work in comfort with minimal effort and the same getting home. It's nice for change to take different car to the office every now and then but every day I feel like it would lose its charm and kind of be cumbersome.
So you want to spend around 200k to get a car and drive about 40k miles in a year and fill the tank around 2000 gallon of gas to commute? Even if money is not an issue (this car worth about 100k after a year with that much mileage ), I would say it's not a wise decision IMO If I were you I would get a C300 as commuter It has cruise control button too
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #11
Cali01
Private
Rep

Quote:
So you want to spend around 200k to get a car and drive about 40k miles in a year and fill the tank around 2000 gallon of gas to commute? Even if money is not an issue (this car worth about 100k after a year with that much mileage ), I would say it's not a wise decision IMO If I were you I would get a C300 as commuter It has cruise control button too
That catch is I wouldn't be anywhere near 200k more like 140k-150k otd maybe even less and like I said its still on the table. I commute in a LX570 3 days a week as of now getting around 15.5 though it doesn't matter I'm sure the S63 would slightly easier on my wallet. Every car depreciates might as well use it whats the difference. I dont think a S63 with 90k in 4 years time and one with 60k miles on it would be get me all that more when I go to trade in most likely will be offered around 10k less but whats that really if you actually enjoy the use of the car. But as a sound decision I agree with 100% it isn't, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I'm someone who enjoys and appreciates daily comforts, I'd rather have a car I can enjoy everyday rather than something I take only on the weekends and fret that if the mileage gets too high that I won't get enough money back out, that reality of that is I'd probably drive that car a lot too lol. You buy them to drive them, no new car is an appreciating asset might as well get most of it if you can afford to am I right? The real practical decision here is to buy a Toyota Corolla Eco because even buying a Prius isn't practical because it would take me quite a while to make up the hybrid premium before I start I saving money in a Prius versus a Corolla Eco. I wouldn't be in business if I couldnt make financially sound decisions, but Id rather not let the practicality ruin my personal life. That being said I agree with you 100% that buying a S63 to commute around 22k miles a year in is not very rational but rather extremely irrational but sometimes you have to enjoy life. I thank you for your perspective, I always like to see other peoples POV allows me to consider other options that were once not on the table and to be very honest you do have me thinking me now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #12
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That catch is I wouldn't be anywhere near 200k more like 140k-150k otd maybe even less and like I said its still on the table. I commute in a LX570 3 days a week as of now getting around 15.5 though it doesn't matter I'm sure the S63 would slightly easier on my wallet. Every car depreciates might as well use it whats the difference. I dont think a S63 with 90k in 4 years time and one with 60k miles on it would be get me all that more when I go to trade in most likely will be offered around 10k less but whats that really if you actually enjoy the use of the car. But as a sound decision I agree with 100% it isn't, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I'm someone who enjoys and appreciates daily comforts, I'd rather have a car I can enjoy everyday rather than something I take only on the weekends and fret that if the mileage gets too high that I won't get enough money back out, that reality of that is I'd probably drive that car a lot too lol. You buy them to drive them, no new car is an appreciating asset might as well get most of it if you can afford to am I right? The real practical decision here is to buy a Toyota Corolla Eco because even buying a Prius isn't practical because it would take me quite a while to make up the hybrid premium before I start I saving money in a Prius versus a Corolla Eco. I wouldn't be in business if I couldnt make financially sound decisions, but Id rather not let the practicality ruin my personal life. That being said I agree with you 100% that buying a S63 to commute around 22k miles a year in is not very rational but rather extremely irrational but sometimes you have to enjoy life. I thank you for your perspective, I always like to see other peoples POV allows me to consider other options that were once not on the table and to be very honest you do have me thinking me now.
Well if you check the inventory of dealers, there are rare S63 Sedan less than 160k price point since usually this luxury car is coming with some packages for US market. A loaded S63 with features you might be in favor (such as CCB , Nappa leather and CF interior)would be most likely close to 180k-190k which is about 200 out the door with 8% sales tax in California. As far as mileage, you mentioned 150 miles per day five days a week so with basic calculation you will be at 39k (52 x 5 x150) per year if not driving over weekend so in 4 years you will have over 150k miles on the clock instead of 40k ( 4 years / 10k per year) which is normal mileage for people get this car. .... I don't think anybody wants to compromise over 100k mile difference for just 10k ... do you?
Overall my point was not to encourage you to get a Prius or Corolla... you don't need to go extreme
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 01:18 AM   #13
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali01
Quote:
Plenty of irrational decisions made in this forum. I paid more than 300k for my M5, and I believe "Clar" paid a million for his 458 in Singapore.

My wife to this day still complained about paying that much for a M5 (we travel back and forth between Taiwan and California so she knows cars are much cheaper over in the USA) but I think I will go crazy if I have to drive Toyota to work everyday.

If you want it and can afford it, why not?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 03:38 AM   #14
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Exactly what I need tbh. I commute 150 round trip five days a week so comfort plays a bug role. What was your overall impression of the car?
If u commute that much a day, u will want something with a kick ass adaptive cruise control. U know the kind with a radar to detect the speed/distance of the car in front of u. It would also brake for u to a stand still. Most top tier cars has this option, so u want to make sure the car u pick has it!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #15
Cali01
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well if you check the inventory of dealers, there are rare S63 Sedan less than 160k price point since usually this luxury car is coming with some packages for US market. A loaded S63 with features you might be in favor (such as CCB , Nappa leather and CF interior)would be most likely close to 180k-190k which is about 200 out the door with 8% sales tax in California. As far as mileage, you mentioned 150 miles per day five days a week so with basic calculation you will be at 39k (52 x 5 x150) per year if not driving over weekend so in 4 years you will have over 150k miles on the clock instead of 40k ( 4 years / 10k per year) which is normal mileage for people get this car. .... I don't think anybody wants to compromise over 100k mile difference for just 10k ... do you?
Overall my point was not to encourage you to get a Prius or Corolla... you don't need to go extreme
I'm getting getting a deal on a left over '15 which would come in at 140-150 otd. A GM of a MB dealer nearby is a close friend of mine and he offered me 137 on car that stickers 161, and i know I can go lower. It's the only reason I'm considering a S63. I put about 22k miles a year on my LX a year so I'd figure it would be about the same, this isn't the only vehicle at my disposal and a lot of times I end up riding with my father to the office if he ends up leaving at 6am like I do. I mean I most likely will end up driving it more than that because let's be honest a s63 is a little more exciting to drive than a LX570. I trade in my cars so I don't have to hassle with selling the car myself, yes they give you a crap price I know but that's the price you pay for conveince. So as long as the car is off my hands I could care how much mileage I'm putting on it. My father told me one thing he said if you have worry about any of the associated costs and or projected depreciation of a car maybe you shouldn't be buying it in the first place, because what's the point of driving a car if you can't drive it worry free. Now lots of people who don't have to worry about that kind of stuff still do, I get it sometimes you want your irrational decisions to impact you as least as possible financially but as of know I'd rather not worry about such details. I have a business to grow and God willing if I keep on expanding at the rate I am now, I'm sure I'll be able to pocket the depreciation and if something happens along the way, I guess it sucks to suck right. And once thank you I do highly appreciate your opinion.

Last edited by Cali01; 03-14-2016 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
Cali01
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Plenty of irrational decisions made in this forum. I paid more than 300k for my M5, and I believe "Clar" paid a million for his 458 in Singapore.

My wife to this day still complained about paying that much for a M5 (we travel back and forth between Taiwan and California so she knows cars are much cheaper over in the USA) but I think I will go crazy if I have to drive Toyota to work everyday.

If you want it and can afford it, why not?
The theory is if you can afford to why not right. If your not scrafcing anything significant in its place then might as well enjoy life right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
If u commute that much a day, u will want something with a kick ass adaptive cruise control. U know the kind with a radar to detect the speed/distance of the car in front of u. It would also brake for u to a stand still. Most top tier cars has this option, so u want to make sure the car u pick has it!
I actually think the new C300 probably has that too, but that is defiantly deal breaker option on the list when I decide whether or not to purchase whatever car I end up purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm getting getting a deal on a left over '15 which would come in at 140-150 otd. A GM of a MB dealer nearby is a close friend of mine and he offered me 137 on car that stickers 161, and i know I can go lower. It's the only reason I'm considering a S63. I put about 22k miles a year on my LX a year so I'd figure it would be about the same, this isn't the only vehicle at my disposal and a lot of times I end up riding with my father to the office if he ends up leaving at 6am like I do. I mean I most likely will end up driving it more than that because let's be honest a s63 is a little more exciting to drive than a LX570. I trade in my cars so I don't have to hassle with selling the car myself, yes they give you a crap price I know but that's the price you pay for conveince. So as long as the car is off my hands I could care how much mileage I'm putting on it. My father told me one thing he said if you have worry about any of the associated costs and or projected depreciation of a car maybe you shouldn't be buying it in the first place, because what's the point of driving a car if you can't drive it worry free. Now lots of people who don't have to worry about that kind of stuff still do, I get it sometimes you want your irrational decisions to impact you as least as possible financially but as of know I'd rather not worry about such details. I have a business to grow and God willing if I keep on expanding at the rate I am now, I'm sure I'll be able to pocket the depreciation and if something happens along the way, I guess it sucks to suck right. And once thank you I do highly appreciate your opinion.
So this quote is completely different from the OP
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I wont get into the numbers game- that's personal and caters to each of us individually based on needs and wants along with what one is willing to spend.

I have two close friends with S63's (new models) that I have driven enough- both are tuned, lowered slightly and roll HRE's. They look incredible and the interior is awesome. The room in the back, as expected, ample in all forms with rear sunroof controls, tilting seats, cooled seats, heated seats and so much more. I love the giant center TFT screen for radio and NAV review. The car actually moves too with AWD and a tune its pushing 650 bhp and the tq is off the charts- It romps from zero to 60 very fast and I enjoy driving them. Yes it will not be the fastest car out there in higher speed runs but it looks great and makes one feel great INSIDE the cabin too.

Ive owned 3 M157 AMG cars and the engine is intense and bulletproof. The growl and power that comes from it is strong even in today's world. The one issue with the M157's I had was the MCT transmission. Its not efficient and can be irritating at times in stock TCU set up. I tuned all my cars and the tranny definitely communicated better with my inputs. The MCT is good for heavy tq rated cars and is a great tranny when mods are installed like downpipes and tune. You can get around the small dissatisfaction it creates, like I said, with a tune. Ive had 5 MCT's so Ive got a lot of experience there.

These are the only numbers Ill go into (not personally related but more market indicative):

If the car had an msrp of 161 then there is 12% from msrp to triple net of holdback in the car (dealer cost). Remember dealer cost is NOT invoice. Invoice is about 6% from msrp. So that car cost the store circa 142k back in the day unless they floored and are probably hitting curtailment payments since it hasn't been sold in over a year or more. That car just based on age and market is worth much less especially at the wholesale level. I think you can get it for 130 if you push but its worth less than that.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #19
fkim119
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 Porsche Panamera Turbo

If you are going to keep these cars long at all, I wouldn't pull the trigger.

MY dad had a 2013 S63 bought new, and in 2 years drove it 60K plus. Air suspension started to lose air, lights come on and is something that these cars are weak on. Expensive fix to say the least. Common problem with the S63. I had the same issue with my AMG E63 after it accumulated lots of mileage after 2 shorts years. Air suspension started to sag, tires had too much negative camber and MBZ wouldn't fix it. Sold the car.

Short term wise, the AMG's are great. Long term wise, pass on them.

I bought a 2015 MBZ S550 brand new and I lemoned it 3 months later. Had severe brake issues that cause the brake to warp 3 times in 1000 miles. I'm not the only one having them as many others are building a case towards MBZ.
22' Porsche Cayenne Turbo
24' Porsche GT4RS on order
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #20
NightM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw

S63 is nice! Tunning isa bit price for them, but if its just stock car and just pure enjoyment id definitely get one too. And they depreciatemore thanbmw goodluck on your choice
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #21
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
If you drive that much, I would really invest in a hybrid on the side.
Especially when your buying this car.

I mean 150 x 5 x 4 x 12.
Thats 36k a year and only if your driving to work and back... thats crazy.

I went out and bought a Lexus ct hybrid Fsport that I drive around to keep all my cars values up. Paid 27k otd for it has a bumper to bumper UNLIMITED MILE warranty til 2025.
Thats what you need if you drive the way you do.

IDK man, honestly the S63 AMG is awesome... not my 1st choice.. but if you plan to drive it like that, its not worth it.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |

Last edited by combatbmw; 03-15-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #22
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I'm predicting the OP won't buy anything mentioned in this thread. He's been hanging around this board since 2012. First he asked a bunch of questions about M3s. Then he disappeared. Then came back around 18 months ago talking about buying an M5. Then disappeared. Now he wants advice on this Mercedes.

Waste of time for everyone contributing here. The guy is an idiot. A real man, goes for test drives, and buys what he likes, without asking for validation from a bunch of random strangers.

In his garage he has a couple of Lexus SUVs. I don't think he's shopping for a TTS or a S63 to do a 40mile commute. I mean if you have loads of money to burn, why not spend it on a condo closer to your office? A 5 mile commute is the luxury a man of means would want.
Appreciate 2