ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: GTC4/M2/930/LP640Perf/GT4CS/X7

Trade my Z3MC +Cash for your Z4MC

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
2000 Z3MC for trade

It's been a while since I sold my Z4MC, and I am considering getting back into one. I've been through a few cars since but I sure do miss the '07 Z.

I have an 88k mile Silver on Black 2000 Z3MC (S52 motor) in great shape. I am either supercharging the Z3MC or selling/trading for Z4MC. I can throw in cash for the right trade. I don't really want anything valued over $35k, my M Coupe is valued somewhere around $25k.

I just finished a full rehaul on the car as it was lady owned locally here in Southern California and completely stock. I've had it in EAS and Castros and told both shops to replace anything needed. Here is the list off memory of work performed over the last few months amounting to about $8k:

-New 17" Apex Arc8 wheels and Hankook R-S3 tires. Stock wheels and tires will be included in trade.
-New Ground Control Full Coilover kit with some custom work/ install done at EAS. Can be set lower but I have at a nice level for the street.
- Strut tower reinforcements
- Subframe reinforcement (a must for all Z3M cars. will run you $2k and up) Done by Castros
-New Castros custom cat back exhaust
-Windows tinted
-Full service by castors
-New Headliner
-Kenwood KDC bluetooth headunit. Looks very close to stock and has the same orange color to match the other gauges.
-Dinan carbon fiber intake (amazing induction noise)
- Tune by RK Tunes with flash loader.
-Magnetic stone guards

This is a solid car, runs great, never tracked, setup perfectly. I planned on keeping it for a long time and watching the values continue to skyrocket. I have been so spoiled by my other cars ( 997TT, 997 GT3 RS, 73 911, modded this and that, etc etc ) that I feel like I need to boost the Z3M, but don't want to ruin such a perfectly balanced car. The Z4M was a bit more in line with my expectation of power so I think that is the better route to go. If I don't get any bites I'm going with the RMS Stage 2 kit for 420 then I have the better (funkier) looking and faster car, but it would be a shame to do to such a rare vehicle. Sorry for the long-winded rationale, let me know if you are seriously interested.

I am located in Orange County, CA

Thanks,
Seth
SethDHamilton@Gmail.com

pics:

Before/After Wheels, tires and GC

GC Coilovers

The good people at the Bacara knowing where the M Coupe belongs:

I'll try to get more pics soon.

Last edited by HamiltonSeth; 03-28-2016 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MCoupe,3.0Si R,E61 535xiT

Some of these Z3MC valuations must come out of a Cracker Jack box.
Be prepared to put up at least $10 - 15K for a trade up to a similar condition 4, and probably a naive seller.
      03-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
RickySixx6
Rep
Drives: S54 M Coupe/NSX/R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpathic View Post
Be prepared to put up at least $10 - 15K for a trade up to a similar condition 4, and probably a naive seller.
Z3 M Values are purely supply and demand. Do you think the sellers community spontaneously came up with higher asking prices out of the blue without concrete and documented sales comps?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I think the seller will have an infinitely easier time selling his car first, then just buying a Z4M Coupe.

The Z3M prices blow me away, especially the Coupes. I understand they are commanding numbers close to the Z4M (or even more in many instances), but as somebody who has owned 3 Z3Ms including a S54 M Coupe, and now two Z4Ms, it's complete insanity to me. There is a not a single thing the Z3M does better than the Z4M, nothing. I loved all of my Z3Ms dearly, but I could never drive another one with the Z4M being in existence.

This is not to say the Z3M is overpriced, but rather I believe the Z4M is incredibly under priced. I think it's one of the finest cars available for the money today.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
RickySixx6
Rep

I've owned a number of S54 and S52 coupes and have driven the Z4 M Coupe. NickyC "Better" is subjective. No doubt the newer one is more refined, but some folks prefer that older raw feeling. With that said, S54 rarity explains the price, and with that we see why lower mileage S52s are also climbing. - So w/ all that nonsense said - you're 100% right. The issue here is Z4 M prices haven't risen "YET" to where they should & will be.

It is why I feel the Z4 M Coupe is the true value in the BMW collector car market at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySixx6 View Post
I've owned a number of S54 and S52 coupes and have driven the Z4 M Coupe. NickyC "Better" is subjective. No doubt the newer one is more refined, but some folks prefer that older raw feeling. With that said, S54 rarity explains the price, and with that we see why lower mileage S52s are also climbing. - So w/ all that nonsense said - you're 100% right. The issue here is Z4 M prices haven't risen "YET" to where they should & will be.

It is why I feel the Z4 M Coupe is the true value in the BMW collector car market at the moment.

I agree with the comment above, mostly. I'm a Porsche and BMW guy. I'm selling a 930 that 5 years ago was a $50k car, today it's 3x the price. Why? Who the hell knows or cares, buts that's what it's worth. Both the M Coupes are great cars for the money. The Z4M is nowhere near collectible yet because it simple isn't a classic in any way. It's a beautiful, fun, and modern car. The Z3M is analog and funky. Each are great in their own respects. I'm "prepared" (as suggested by a post) to spend what is needed to make up the difference between values. Anyways, I went from the z4m to the z3m and enjoyed the experience. Maybe someone else will as well. The microeconomics of the issue are as follows- When I trade plus cash my wife only asks what's was spent...$10k perhaps. When I sell and purchase... Full price. Gotta find clever ways to keep the garage full.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Find me a $10k-$15k M Coupe and I'll buy it sight unseen. I can find you a $25k z4 m coupe any day of the week, and I would treat it with near the same enthusiasm. I do understand what you are saying, but the price gap between the cars is closing quickly, if not swapped. Neither car is particularly fast, so it just becomes a matter of enjoyment in driving and ownership. Both cars have their positives and negatives.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 07:42 AM   #8
RickySixx6
Rep

For what it's worth, [for those looking for a Z4 M] I have a good relationship with AvaziAuto. They currently have 2 White Z4 M Coupes 39k miles & a 9k mile car. Also a Sepang Bronze @ 26k miles. If any of those 3 strike your interest, let me know and I could probably get your the best possible deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I think the seller will have an infinitely easier time selling his car first, then just buying a Z4M Coupe.
X2, finding someone that has a Z4MC like the owner here wants, then this Z4MC owner looking for a Z3MC like the owner here has, then both of them agreeing on a price = almost 0 chance.
      04-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
HamiltonSeth
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
X2, finding someone that has a Z4MC like the owner here wants, then this Z4MC owner looking for a Z3MC like the owner here has, then both of them agreeing on a price = almost 0 chance.
I'm in talks with a local owner right now. Looks to be a fair straight trade. But yes, there is a slim chance of finding the perfect deal and actually executing.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #11
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Good luck, looks like a clean well kept car! Any interior shots? If this was an S54 I would swap straight up.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #12
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MCoupe,3.0Si R,E61 535xiT

With the Z3MC being an S52, model year 2000, California now requires all the READY codes to be ready. The S52 barely passed CA limits when new and stock. I sold my E36M3, passing smog with one persistent "Not Ready", but that motor in a year 2000 car would not have passed.
Not sure where that list of work adds up to $8k, but it doesn't add more than $2k to the car's value. Most buyers avoid coilovers and buzzbomb exhausts because a track suspension and raspy noisemaker muffler turns off many more than prospects than it would be a selling point to.
Suggestion: Enjoy the money you spent on the mods, while listing the car for sale for the $25k you claim. List the car for $15k and you might get some interest.
The Z3 3.0 is at least as fast, with the later model year upgrades that your car does not have. I sold my '98 Z3M for an '01 3.0 that's 200# lighter, takes all the same suspension pieces, and apples for apples with the same rear axle ratio, and Street Touring level intake mods, accelerates at least as fast, with better MPG too.
The non-M Z4 Coupe market still overpowers your car, for less money.
Like it or not, unless you have an S54, your car will not sell for close to your claimed value. Its the S54 that makes and Z3M worth so much more. People who know performance in a Z3 go for the 3.0i, not the S52. An S52 is just an older dirtier running lower MPG version of what BMW did much better with the M54 3.0. Even Z4M Coupes go for under $25K unless they are low mile prime examples. Having just bought one, I have an accurate idea of what these sell for versus the asking prices.
You might find a naive trader on Craigslist, but ZPost is a magnet for experienced and knowledgeable BMW owners, most of whom have had many BMW's before graduating up to a Z4M.
Sorry if this sounds harsh. I had to learn my buying and selling lessons along the way too, but I'm glad others told me the straight story as some of us here are trying to describe to you.

Last edited by mpathic; 04-01-2016 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
With the Z3MC being an S52, model year 2000, California now requires all the READY codes to be ready. The S52 barely passed CA limits when new and stock. I sold my E36M3, passing smog with one persistent "Not Ready", but that motor in a year 2000 car would not have passed.
Not sure where that list of work adds up to $8k, but it doesn't add more than $2k to the car's value. Most buyers avoid coilovers and buzzbomb exhausts because a track suspension and raspy noisemaker muffler turns off many more than prospects than it would be a selling point to.
Suggestion: Enjoy the money you spent on the mods, while listing the car for sale for the $25k you claim. List the car for $15k and you might get some interest.
The Z3 3.0 is at least as fast, with the later model year upgrades that your car does not have. I sold my '98 Z3M for an '01 3.0 that's 200# lighter, takes all the same suspension pieces, and apples for apples with the same rear axle ratio, and Street Touring level intake mods, accelerates at least as fast, with better MPG too.
The non-M Z4 Coupe market still overpowers your car, for less money.
Like it or not, unless you have an S54, your car will not sell for close to your claimed value. Its the S54 that makes and Z3M worth so much more. People who know performance in a Z3 go for the 3.0i, not the S52. An S52 is just an older dirtier running lower MPG version of what BMW did much better with the M54 3.0. Even Z4M Coupes go for under $25K unless they are low mile prime examples. Having just bought one, I have an accurate idea of what these sell for versus the asking prices.
You might find a naive trader on Craigslist, but ZPost is a magnet for experienced and knowledgeable BMW owners, most of whom have had many BMW's before graduating up to a Z4M.
Sorry if this sounds harsh. I had to learn my buying and selling lessons along the way too, but I'm glad others told me the straight story as some of us here are trying to describe to you.
I will never understand the value of coming to someone's classified ad and posting that you don't think it is worth what they are asking.
      04-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

love the Z3M coupe, miss mine dearly.. GLWT