Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

04-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Which 1M?

Looking at trading in my M4 for a 1M. Narrowed it down to two options.

AW with ~27k miles and good service records for $53k offering $62k trade in. Warranty still intact.

VO with ~46k miles with a late (6k) break in for $49k offering $64k trade in. No warranty.

Both car are same options, but you can see that there is a $6k spread between the cars when taking the trade in value into account.

I always kinda preferred VO but ~27k miles is really good for the AW at that price and condition. AW is really good too. Both car are in really good condition.

What would people here do?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Any reason why no one is choosing the VO option? is $6k more a good price for 20k less miles?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Any reason why no one is choosing the VO option? is $6k more a good price for 20k less miles?
Depends on you. If you are going to drive 12k miles per year then the mileage is probably not worth it because you would quicly reach that and you could save the 6k for a just in case big repair. If you are only going to drive on Sunday the 6k is warranted because the car will keep more value of you decide to trade. Also if you drive a lot VO has white primer underneath and really shows nicks. White also has white primer and seems to hold up aesthetically a little better. How will you drive it?

My first white 1M was a daily driver. I sold it waited for M3, M235 or M2 but the new cars don't do it for me so I went back and bought VO so I have personal experience with both colors. I hope you come on board! Best wishes.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
Stoney80
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

Quote:
I think it is a combination of the miles and the warranty that is swaying the vote. I bought a BSM 1M with only 18k miles last November for $50k (original owner, with records, no warranty). Low mileage cars are out there for a reasonable price if you can stomach the wait.

Clearly your trade value is a large factor in this deal as well - are both of these 1Ms at BMW dealers?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Depends on you. If you are going to drive 12k miles per year then the mileage is probably not worth it because you would quicly reach that and you could save the 6k for a just in case big repair. If you are only going to drive on Sunday the 6k is warranted because the car will keep more value of you decide to trade. Also if you drive a lot VO has white primer underneath and really shows nicks. White also has white primer and seems to hold up aesthetically a little better. How will you drive it?

My first white 1M was a daily driver. I sold it waited for M3, M235 or M2 but the new cars don't do it for me so I went back and bought VO so I have personal experience with both colors. I hope you come on board! Best wishes.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. My plan is to switch daily drivers between my e36 M3 and the 1M so I would assume I put on about 5-6k miles per year. Perhaps less miles are worth it and knowing the primer situation would help my OCD. I'm pretty excited to get one. I wanted one for awhile and thought now is a good time to save sales tax.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney80 View Post
I think it is a combination of the miles and the warranty that is swaying the vote. I bought a BSM 1M with only 18k miles last November for $50k (original owner, with records, no warranty). Low mileage cars are out there for a reasonable price if you can stomach the wait.

Clearly your trade value is a large factor in this deal as well - are both of these 1Ms at BMW dealers?
Yeah, I would be willing to entertain some private party cars but the trade in will save me ~$3500.

The VO is at a Porsche dealer. The AW is at a used car dealer which specializes in exotics.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney80 View Post

Yeah, I would be willing to entertain some private party cars but the trade in will save me ~$3500.

The VO is at a Porsche dealer. The AW is at a used car dealer which specializes in exotics.
I recommend you look up the original owner on here by VIN and contact them. See how they were broken in, modified etc. we have a registry of last numbers of VIN and you might find the original owner on here. That's what I did. I think both colors look great. Most of my friends tell me they like the VO more but I loved both. I would probably go AW if I did it again based on the white primer and VO seems more delicate too. If you will be switching cars and keeping it low miles the extra dough might be worth it. I think you will see cherry low miles keep good values and rougher higher mileage ones go a bit lower due to M2 effect.

Also my personal belief is that the no nav cars especially the ones with the lighter manual seats and non motorized mirrors etc are significantly different from the current idrive units which makes them not just lighter and 1 1/2" more headroom but also more classically beautiful than idrive 1Ms. I love the clean classic sports at cockpit of my 1M which was a significant part of what turned me off to the mandatory idrive BMW s of today. Not to mention less to go wrong as its a used car. I recommend before you buy to sit in a no nav 1M with manual seats. They are less common than loaded ones but they are out there. If you are tall you will appreciate the lower seating position and the timeless look.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Nick65
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Hi, you have a nice problem :O) I thought long and hard between AW and VO. Having bought AW i am so pleased with it - so i'm biased but that is what i'd go for. I love VO, but in my opinion it only looks outstanding when clean and in bright sunlight. Otherwise it can look a bit dull. AW looks good (to me at least) in good light and poor,and even when a bit dirty.

I would definitely go for the lowest mileage car, and anyway a straight $6k diff for 20k miles makes the lower mileage car look better value.

Good luck
Nick
Past: 997tt, modded 996tt, rs3, rs4 avant, 997S, 993, 1989 3.2 Carerra, 968CS trackcar, 135M coupe, E36 M3 4door, E46 M3 x2, 1M, SWB Landcruiser, AMG, Golf r32, gti V, gti VI & many others. Taking everything into account, the M4 is the best car i've owned.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Stoney80
Private
Rep

Quote:
I recommend you look up the original owner on here by VIN and contact them. See how they were broken in, modified etc. we have a registry of last numbers of VIN and you might find the original owner on here. That's what I did. I think both colors look great. Most of my friends tell me they like the VO more but I loved both. I would probably go AW if I did it again based on the white primer and VO seems more delicate too. If you will be switching cars and keeping it low miles the extra dough might be worth it. I think you will see cherry low miles keep good values and rougher higher mileage ones go a bit lower due to M2 effect.

Also my personal belief is that the no nav cars especially the ones with the lighter manual seats and non motorized mirrors etc are significantly different from the current idrive units which makes them not just lighter and 1 1/2" more headroom but also more classically beautiful than idrive 1Ms. I love the clean classic sports at cockpit of my 1M which was a significant part of what turned me off to the mandatory idrive BMW s of today. Not to mention less to go wrong as its a used car. I recommend before you buy to sit in a no nav 1M with manual seats. They are less common than loaded ones but they are out there. If you are tall you will appreciate the lower seating position and the timeless look.
I have to admit, whereas I like some of the modern features of my additional options, I am jealous of your interior view. As you said, it is timeless. If the 1M ever becomes collectible it will be interesting to see if the no nav cars command an additional premium.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
MinusS50
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

I m love the orange ( and all proper beight color) but i went for an Aw as the car condition was great ( full bmw service history) and on top of that i manage to secure a 5 years warranty.

So to me go for the on in the best condition.

I fully agree on the Cs side as it is more pure (i admit i have one) even so the weight gain is really small.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

either are a good deal. i just like that the mileage is a bit lower. however if a 1M is well maintained i believe it will go for many years to come.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #12
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Found a 3rd one.

30k miles stripper (only heated seats) for $52k and $62k trade-in. VO.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Found a 3rd one.

This seems like the best of both worlds!

I love my VO!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #14
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Found a 3rd one.

I'd go for the VO.

It's a well documented fact that it's much faster than the AW, especially off the line.

You're welcome...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Found a 3rd one.

Strippers are rarer and more in the spirit of the 1M . It's pseudo CSL light. Sit in it and take in the simplicity of the interior the extra headroom and lower seating position and no ugly holes in the bumper. I would go for stripper and have twice now but see for yourself. Every BMW has idrive now and a screen. You should nab the purest version of the 1M while you can!!!
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #16
Mark 1M
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

VO paint looks fantastic, But what others have said it chipped every time i took it out.
So i sold it and got AW no chips ( happy days )
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #17
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

If like to jump on the pile and say aw. Nine of the 1m colors look bad and to me quality and new feeling trump looks every time. So I'd take the lower mileage car and enjoy more worry free miles on the road.
      04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
If like to jump on the pile and say aw. Nine of the 1m colors look bad and to me quality and new feeling trump looks every time. So I'd take the lower mileage car and enjoy more worry free miles on the road.
Yes, but a single owner maintained 40K mile car might be better than one that has been moved through 3 dealerships and an auction where every joe that works there has test driven it cold many, many, many times and the oil changes were 2 years and 15K miles apart. I know what you mean but I can guarantee that my car was 10 times more lovingly cared for than a car that has been through several dealerships. Not that you shouldn't buy one either but just taken into account.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #19
Stoney80
Private
Rep

Quote:
Found a 3rd one.

I think if you created a new poll this VO car would come out on top, especially with the AW car's mysterious Carfax.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney80
Quote:
Found a 3rd one.

I think if you created a new poll this VO car would come out on top, especially with the AW car's mysterious Carfax.
OP, What's the history on the VO stripper or VIN?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing mysterious. Bought and serviced at the same dealer for the entire time with regular intervals.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nothing mysterious. Bought and serviced at the same dealer for the entire time with regular intervals.
That's what you want! Entire history. That sounds like a winner! Good luck. Hope it works out!
Appreciate 0