BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Jedichurn
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Australia - Sydney and Melbourne owners

Hi all,

Just got the 1M in HK and have been enjoying it for two months. The firm I'm working for has offered me the possibility to transfer to Australia - Sydney or Melbourne. It will most likely be a two year stint.
Does anyone know the procedure of shipping the car from HK to Sydney or Melbourne? Cost? Tax? Do I need to retake the driving test?

And lastly the really big question – Sydney or Melbourne. I’ve been to both cities and have some thoughts on both but would like to hear some other opinions from locals.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Iceman21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Depends on what you like mate...Sydney is more glitzy and in your face.
Its also a much prettier city...well in the harbour area anyways. Outside the CBD is much older and more ghetto that Melbourne.

But you need a lot more money to maintain and enjoy the lifestyle you can have in Melbourne.

Melbourne is more relaxed. People generally just let people do what they want and are more accepting.

Food is good in both.

Beaches closer to the city are better in Sydney.

Winter is better in Sydney.

Career wise id say Sydney is still the place to be in Australia. More opportunities.

I lived in Sydney for four years, and then decided to move to Melbourne. Been here for eight years. Make of that what you will.

Lastly, from a driving perspective...Melbourne wins hands down...less traffic, better roads. Oh and great driving roads much closer to the city than compared to Sydney. Owning cars has been a much more pleasurable experience in this city.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Sam
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Iceman21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Forgot to add, might be easier and cheaper for you to sell the VO in HK and buy another when you get here. There are about 20 for sale at the moment.

Have a look on Carsales.com.au
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #4
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Sydney of course mate. It's a much more vibrant and energetic city than Melbourne.

Beaches are best in the world.

Drive your 1M to the beaches every single week, summer to winter all year round.

Much closer to Queensland as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #5
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Welcome!

Not exactly sure on the importing details, but I suspect you will have to pay import taxes/duty in addition to the expense/hassle of shipping the car over and getting ADR approved.

Iceman is correct, you will likely be better off selling in HK and buying one from here in Australia - 20 for sale currently and ADR approved.

As for city of choice, I prefer Melbourne. Sydney has nicer weather and is a great place to visit, but Melbourne is more liveable. I always think of Sydney as more American, Melbourne as more European. Can't go wrong in either city, but they are very different so depends on your preferences. Victoria has some great dedicated race tracks, including Phillip Island, so if you like the idea of tracking your car you should factor that in.

Check out the Australian Government website for more details on importing foreign cars, and best wishes for the relocation
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #6
Jedichurn
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Thanks for all the advice. I'm still debating and I think it will probably take a year for the transfer to happen or at least I hope because I just got the car coated.
Appreciate 0