GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Ambient Lighting Not Working??

Hey guys!

I noticed today that my ambient lighting isn't working at all (and it is set to the highest brightness in the settings).

I honestly don't remember how long ago this started... Which is annoying.

I had the car coded for euro mdm, folding mirrors and some other stuff a long time ago, and the lighting has 100% world since then, so I don't think that is necessarily the cause. I also have the BMS exhaust valve obdII plug in, but again, the lighting has worked since that install.

I did have service not too long ago. So maybe something happened then? I'll call up my service rep and ask to be sure.

Thanks for any help. I can post pics if anyone wants, but it should be self explanatory.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Hey guys!

I noticed today that my ambient lighting isn't working at all (and it is set to the highest brightness in the settings).

I had the car coded for euro mdm, folding mirrors and some other stuff a long time ago, and the lighting has 100% world since then, so I don't think that is necessarily the cause. I also have the BMS exhaust valve obdII plug in, but again, the lighting has worked since that install.

I did have service not too long ago. So maybe something happened then? I'll call up my service rep and ask to be sure.

Thanks for any help. I can post pics if anyone wants, but it should be self explanatory.
Maybe it's wiring.

I cannot imagine suddenly they all stop working all at once, that would be strange.
      05-21-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades
Quote:
Hey guys!

Maybe it's wiring.

I cannot imagine suddenly they all stop working all at once, that would be strange.
Ya, it's very weird! I'm mad at myself that I didn't realize exactly when it happened.

I am going to call my service advisor tomorrow
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
As it looks, the lights are actually on, just VERY dim. I'm going to post photos. You can see my settings have it set to brightest, but a photo of the car in the dark shows that you can't see the lights at all. And a photo of the actual lights show they are on, just invisibly dim ...

Thoughts with this new info?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:18 AM   #5
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

when the car is coded, there's actually a coding for making these even brighter and then splicing controlling the brightness from ambient vs instrument clusters. It might have been inadvertently adjusted to be lower despite being full brightness. have the coder check it out.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Have you tried adjusting your instrument cluster brightness to full? The two are linked - if that makes them brighter, look into coding to split the two so they're not linked as mentioned above.
Appreciate 3
      05-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Try Changing it from Sport to Regular.

Sport lighting is White, normal light is Red. Sport lighting is very hard to tell, as well as turn everything up to brightest.

I had it in Sport Light before I didn't like it so I flipped it back to Normal.
      05-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Have you tried adjusting your instrument cluster brightness to full? The two are linked - if that makes them brighter, look into coding to split the two so they're not linked as mentioned above.
^ I would try this first.

As is posted, the ambience lighting is adjusted as a function of the instrument cluster lighting; which is controlled by the little dimmer rotary know beside the main headlight switch. If your instruments are dimmed very low, ambience lighting will barely show.

You can also code so that the ambience lighting intensity is independent from the cluster dimmer switch.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades
Try Changing it from Sport to Regular.

Sport lighting is White, normal light is Red. Sport lighting is very hard to tell, as well as turn everything up to brightest.

I had it in Sport Light before I didn't like it so I flipped it back to Normal.
I did that. Both are equally as dim
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:

As is posted, the ambience lighting is adjusted as a function of the instrument cluster lighting; which is controlled by the little dimmer rotary know beside the main headlight switch. If your instruments are dimmed very low, ambience lighting will barely show.

You can also code so that the ambience lighting intensity is independent from the cluster dimmer switch.
I will try this! I'll have an update in the evening when it gets dark out (or if I find myself in a parking lot or something haha)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Quote:

I will try this! I'll have an update in the evening when it gets dark out (or if I find myself in a parking lot or something haha)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Quote:
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, this ended up being the culprit. Not a fan of the 2 being linked.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #13
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
I had the same issue a few weeks ago, this ended up being the culprit. Not a fan of the 2 being linked.
That link can be removed via coding.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Well, it turns out that was my issue as well! I must have accidentally lowered it all the way. Put it back to the top and everything brightened up!!

I don't necessarily mind the two being linked, I'll just always keep it at full brightness.

Thank you all for the help!!
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #15
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, it turns out that was my issue as well! I must have accidentally lowered it all the way. Put it back to the top and everything brightened up!!

I don't necessarily mind the two being linked, I'll just always keep it at full brightness.

Thank you all for the help!!
Ya mine is always on the brightest so.