BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

NT05 vs PSS at the track

Used to run PSS all round street and track. Now got my hands on NT05s for the next couple of track days.
Do these have stiffer side walls than PSS, and what is the optimal hot pressure on the track?
I found previously that PSS really don't like less than 35 psi hot at the track, they felt floppy and greasy after a few laps and it looked like a side wall massacre.
Will the NT05s allow 29-32 psi better, and do they take heat better?
      05-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #2
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhat View Post
Used to run PSS all round street and track. Now got my hands on NT05s for the next couple of track days.
Do these have stiffer side walls than PSS, and what is the optimal hot pressure on the track?
I found previously that PSS really don't like less than 35 psi hot at the track, they felt floppy and greasy after a few laps and it looked like a side wall massacre.
Will the NT05s allow 29-32 psi better, and do they take heat better?
Michelin PSS are really not up to the task when it comes to repetitive lapping at the track. Sure, if a beginner wants to jump out there once in a blue moon and does not want to run a more aggressive extreme summer tire, they can work. I tell my customers that it will cost them more in the long run, as these tires will deteriorate and they are not cheap to replace. Furthermore, most extreme summer tires that outperform the PSS on track are actually cheaper.

What you are describing with tire pressures is odd (backwards). When a session starts and your tires are cold, you cannot extract much grip out of them until they come up to temp. As the session continues (especially in hot conditions) your PSI will rise and that is when tires become greasy. Nonetheless you are correct, the PSS will begin to chunk and deteriorate.

The NT05 is a better street-able track tire, but still not my favorite in the extreme summer tire category. You will find that the NT05 does have a better tolerance for repetitive lapping over the PSS, but still not as good as the Hankook RS-3, Dunlop Star Spec ZII, Yokohama AD08, or Bridgestone RE-71R.

One last thing to note is that it is difficult to discuss PSI targets without getting a bit more in depth. Are we talking hot or cold PSI readings? Where are you tracking the car, and what are the track/weather conditions? Also, desired hot PSI readings will vary from driver to driver depending on your driving style.

I suggest keeping a log if you do not already. This will allow you to review results over several track days, finding what works best for you.

- Ryan

Last edited by ApexWheels; 05-28-2016 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I have tracked with the PSS. It's certainly capable of it, as Ryan said, but for someone serious it will hold them back. I also found that after the 20-minute mark, they start to get greasy. The breakaway is very progressive so it won't lead to any tight-butthole situations but after 20 minutes you really have to dial things back or just end the session.

I've since switched to the AD08R. Hard to say if the ultimate grip is any better, but they are very consistent regardless of how hot you get them.
      05-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

I have ran both PSS and NT-05 (200 TW) at the track and autocross with some drift events.... I would chose NT-05 over PSS any day. The PSS get greasy faster than the NT-05 after several runs. At COTA the PSS would get greasy at the end of the runs but its progressive and you slowly lose grip. When that happens I decrease the tire pressure to regain some grip. For drifting the PSS isn't very good because once its get too hot it delaminates. I notice NT05 grip better than the PSS, but NT-05 wears out faster than PSS. I guess its a trade off for more grippier tires. Im on my 2nd set of NT05 and I really do like em.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Run the NTO5's around 33-36 psi hot.
I think it's the best bag for the buck track tire forget than maybe the NTO1 when they go on sale. They don't grip quit as well as the tires Ryan mentioned but they are pretty inexpensive. There's also a 140 tread ware rated version that is suppose to be the NTO1 compound.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Thank you guys for the feedback.

Yes I was talking hot psi, not cold. Tracked at Paul Ricard in 25c outside temps. And yes the greasiness doesn't come with unexpected breakaway I agree, it's actually a good phone call from the tires when it happens, that lets you slow down. Nevertheless, PSS not sticky when hot, so I wanted better tires for street and track even if they wear out faster.
I see others running PSC2 down to 29 without issue. Unfortunately very few tire brand give me the 295/35/18 I want to run at the rear. So with no Yokos or PSC2 or Trofeos in that size, I am really left with RS3s, in 285 size, or Nittos.

@aus do you mean NT05s are available in 140tw with better compound?

I'll try to start my NT05s with same hot pressure and go down to see if they can take 30-32psi. If not I guess it'll be NT01s next.
      06-01-2016, 01:13 AM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWhat View Post
Thank you guys for the feedback.

@aus do you mean NT05s are available in 140tw with better compound?

I'll try to start my NT05s with same hot pressure and go down to see if they can take 30-32psi. If not I guess it'll be NT01s next.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=482213

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-t...formance-tire/

Yep. Limited sizes available with the 140 tw.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
KRZ3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

This is great! Thanks.