proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

05-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

I wonder if GM really focused on the interior and brought it up to it's competition if they would even sell then.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
I'm sure I'm not the first to make this point, but I get the sense that vehicles are not the only thing in which this guy is a virgin.

god.

imma have nightmares about those short shorts for a fuckin' month.

05-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
I'm sure I'm not the first to make this point, but I get the sense that vehicles are not the only thing in which this guy is a virgin.

god.

imma have nightmares about those short shorts for a fuckin' month.

I think he does a good job, young guy with popular YouTube channel trying to make shit happen. He has some dope cars for his age and gets a lot of dealerships to loan out new products for review. I admire his enthusiasm. I dress the same douchey way, infact that's usually the look I'm after, if this outfit does not warrant others to want to punch me in the face then I have failed in my Endeavor
Give the kid a break sweet checks
      05-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #5
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
I think he does a good job, young guy with popular YouTube channel trying to make shit happen. He has some dope cars for his age and gets a lot of dealerships to loan out new products for review. I admire his enthusiasm. I dress the same douchey way, infact that's usually the look I'm after, if this outfit does not warrant others to want to punch me in the face then I have failed in my Endeavor
Agreed practice makes perfect
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Though I am a prematurely grumpy old man ("GET OFF MY GOD DAMNED LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!!" ) I am also generally understanding and respectful of the enthusiasm of youth.

That said, he needs work to be taken seriously.

So, the shorts: yeah, sure, everyone has a pair of short shorts somewhere. But if you want to be taken seriously? Don't dress like that. Especially when young and you are trying to be serious. It distracts from your message - contradicts it.

Beyond that, sorry, but a guy in his 20s saying this is one of the greatest cars he has ever driven is...well, a guy without the gravitas to pull that line off as convincing or authoritative. JC can say that because he has been doing this for nearly 40 years and when you watch him say that you know it. Someone who has been reviewing cars for a few years can't use that line.

So instead, he should focus on lines he can use. Talk about the car, how it handles, etc.....but putting out sweeping characterizations like that just aren't convincing and, by making such a weak point, it detracts from the other/stronger points he might have.

Lastly, aim at your generation. This guy is younger than a typical F8X driver so we will naturally tune him out a bit. If he were reviewing subarus, sure, maybe he might have more to say. But do I want to hear a guy in his 20s talk about whether I should by an S class or a 7 series? No. Again, goes to knowing who he is, what he can and cannot credibly sell and say and sticking to that.

For fun, compare him to another 'young-er' youtube 'star', Nick Murray. Nick recognizes he is young-ish and doesn't try to be overly serious. He could wear silly shorts (or drive around with a giant stuffed gorilla in his car) and it is ok because he doesn't pretend he is a pro, doing this for money. He accentuates his youth, doesn't try to hide it in such a poor way. Plus, he doesn't go beyond the scope of his 'credibility' in talking about the cars. He says why he likes it, what it does well, etc, but he doesn't say 'this is the greatest car ever' because he recognizes that he can't. Plus, he isn't reviewing cars way out of his demographic - he owns the F8X and owned the 911 and when he comments on other cars, they are probably cars where he is the target audience.

To play around with Socrates: Know thyself, know what thou can sell and stay away from what thou can't.

Anyway, we all know the best amateur youtube car review site is RegularCar. Period. https://www.youtube.com/user/RegularCars

ps - tom brady is a cheating loser.
      05-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Though I am a prematurely grumpy old man ("GET OFF MY GOD DAMNED LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!!!" ) I am also generally understanding and respectful of the enthusiasm of youth.
infamousdiz

Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post

That said, he needs work to be taken seriously.

So, the shorts: yeah, sure, everyone has a pair of short shorts somewhere. But if you want to be taken seriously? Don't dress like that. Especially when young and you are trying to be serious. It distracts from your message - contradicts it.

Beyond that, sorry, but a guy in his 20s saying this is one of the greatest cars he has ever driven is...well, a guy without the gravitas to pull that line off as convincing or authoritative. JC can say that because he has been doing this for nearly 40 years and when you watch him say that you know it. Someone who has been reviewing cars for a few years can't use that line.

So instead, he should focus on lines he can use. Talk about the car, how it handles, etc.....but putting out sweeping characterizations like that just aren't convincing and, by making such a weak point, it detracts from the other/stronger points he might have.

Lastly, aim at your generation. This guy is younger than a typical F8X driver so we will naturally tune him out a bit. If he were reviewing subarus, sure, maybe he might have more to say. But do I want to hear a guy in his 20s talk about whether I should by an S class or a 7 series? No. Again, goes to knowing who he is, what he can and cannot credibly sell and say and sticking to that.

For fun, compare him to another 'young-er' youtube 'star', Nick Murray. Nick recognizes he is young-ish and doesn't try to be overly serious. He could wear silly shorts (or drive around with a giant stuffed gorilla in his car) and it is ok because he doesn't pretend he is a pro, doing this for money. He accentuates his youth, doesn't try to hide it in such a poor way. Plus, he doesn't go beyond the scope of his 'credibility' in talking about the cars. He says why he likes it, what it does well, etc, but he doesn't say 'this is the greatest car ever' because he recognizes that he can't. Plus, he isn't reviewing cars way out of his demographic - he owns the F8X and owned the 911 and when he comments on other cars, they are probably cars where he is the target audience.

To play around with Socrates: Know thyself, know what thou can sell and stay away from what thou can't.

Anyway, we all know the best amateur youtube car review site is RegularCar. Period. https://www.youtube.com/user/RegularCars

Tom Brady is a loser would be a contradiction.

This old adage where you have to look the part to be the part is a flawed philosophy. It helps with first impressions where each party has zero reference the base their opinion.

I have met many people who don't "look" the part but were superior in their abilities then sight on seen.

I'm 31 I look at most people in suit as crooks. (Well with a weary eye)

He said it was the best car he has ever driven, he gave a subjective opinion based on his prior knowledge with cars and if you look at his channel he has driven ford GT to a Lamborghini Aventador ect.

Take it for what it is, a young guys approach to car reviews.

What makes you an expert anyhow, I say that as a blank statement. Their are many doctors I would not let touch my dog but he is an "expert".

Have fun watching the patriots in the post again, watch terrific tom turn nobodies into pro bowlers
      05-31-2016, 06:18 AM   #9
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

I don't mind the short shorts but Jesus at least do squats or be fit for Christ sake
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Attire aside it wasn't terrible. I'm glad it wasn't a typical "how many tires can I shred on a track" review discussing how a car drives on the road. As for the real discussion here, yes Tom Brady is a good QB. In the end we evaluate QB's based on number of super bowls. Even if you give 2015 an asterisk it's hard to argue he's not one of the all time greats. Did he cheat? yes. do I care? Probably not. Is 4 games enough? More than likely. This is the nfl where we celebrate wife/child beaters, drug addicts, etc
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack
Attire aside it wasn't terrible. I'm glad it wasn't a typical "how many tires can I shred on a track" review discussing how a car drives on the road. As for the real discussion here, yes Tom Brady is a good QB. In the end we evaluate QB's based on number of super bowls. Even if you give 2015 an asterisk it's hard to argue he's not one of the all time greats. Did he cheat? yes. do I care? Probably not. Is 4 games enough? More than likely. This is the nfl where we celebrate wife/child beaters, drug addicts, etc
How is it even argument that his the greatest of all time. Tom can do no wrong in my eyes because he has give me such joy to watch football for 15 years and year after year I know we are a contender. The arguments and sleepless nights he has saved me from are priceless. The patriots always go long into the preseason and tom always does his best.
      05-31-2016, 10:29 AM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Didn't watch this review... but having driven both cars extensively... anyone who compares these cars pound for pound... needs their head examined.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Tom Brady is a cheating loser would be a true statement.
Fixed it for you

Quote:
This old adage where you have to look the part to be the part is a flawed philosophy. It helps with first impressions where each party has zero reference the base their opinion.

I have met many people who don't "look" the part but were superior in their abilities then sight on seen.

He said it was the best car he has ever driven, he gave a subjective opinion based on his prior knowledge with cars and if you look at his channel he has driven ford GT to a Lamborghini Aventador ect.

Take it for what it is, a young guys approach to car reviews.

What makes you an expert anyhow, I say that as a blank statement. Their are many doctors I would not let touch my dog but he is an "expert".
Well, it depends.

In this case, this guy is selling his product (his knowledge/the importance of his opinions) in videos. The way he grows his market is by having people watch those videos - and the assumption has to be that someone might only ever watch one. So he is not someone working with a group of regular clients, who can get past how he looks, rather he is constantly making first impressions with new viewers. So his appearance does matter.

Not saying it is all that matters, but it has an impact. And his thighs are not something I ever need to see again thank you very much

Beyond that, he is still over-reaching in his opinions. He might have driven other cars, but so what? Is he a professional driver like a Chris Harris or a Tiff? No. Has he been reviewing cars professionally for years and years and years? No. So why do I care that he drove another car for a short period of time in limited conditions? (I mean, these are privately owned cars and he is not exactly getting to let loose with them on a track, of necessity he must be pretty tame with them) This is a slicker version of a test drive report. Interesting to some extent, but not that much to go on.

Like everyone who is new at something, he is starting from the bottom and, like everyone starting at the bottom, he should recognize that and work with it, not pretend that he is starting from somewhere else. I think he forgot who he was a little bit on this particular video.

He may have the 'correct' view or even a reasonable view but, again, his job is to sell himself as being someone who has the requisite experience and knowledge to make his opinion credible or worth listening to and I don't think he did that.

Quote:
Have fun watching the patriots in the post again, watch terrific tom turn nobodies into pro bowlers
Lets just hope fewer of them get indicted for murder charges and/or get busted for blatant cheating this year.
      05-31-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I couldn't get past the douchey-ness of the reviewer... Couldn't finish the video. I think if he did a Club Car vs. EZ-Go golf cart review, I could take him seriously. But not this...

But I do agree completely with Myz... Tom Brady IS a cheating loser.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 01:16 PM   #15
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack
How is it even argument that his the greatest of all time. Tom can do no wrong in my eyes because he has give me such joy to watch football for 15 years and year after year I know we are a contender. The arguments and sleepless nights he has saved me from are priceless. The patriots always go long into the preseason and tom always does his best.
I can say the same thing about Joe Montana. You won't get any argument out of me that Brady isn't one of the all time greats, however (IMHO) #16 will always be the greatest of all time. On that list I'd also include Bradshaw and Aikman.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #16
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I couldn't get past the douchey-ness of the reviewer... Couldn't finish the video. I think if he did a Club Car vs. EZ-Go golf cart review, I could take him seriously. But not this...

But I do agree completely with Myz... Tom Brady IS a cheating loser.
"The Club Car is the best golf cart I've driven this year. The suspension provides just the right response as I drive into the trees (again) to look for my sliced drive and the AWD option really helps when I end up 'accidentally' driving through the waste hazards. EZ Go may have been the gold standard, but it looks like we have a new champion on the course."

edit: holy crap, these things exist....

Last edited by myzmak; 05-31-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

so to make sure we are all on the same page. If some one on the internet says a bmw product is inferior to another brands product our initial and only talking points are to engage in viscous insults against the reviewer?

aren't we just the embodiment of our stereotype.
      05-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #18
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
so to make sure we are all on the same page. If some one on the internet says a bmw product is inferior to another brands product our initial and only talking points are to engage in viscous insults against the reviewer?

At last...
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post

Well, three problems.

First, our 'only talking points' are not to engage in vicious insults against the reviewer. We've also engaged in vicious (yet true) insults against cheating tom brady and the cheating pats. And now we are debating which golf cart posts the best 1/4 mile. So get your damn facts right, man

Second, the insults aren't that vicious. I mean, yes, his shorts and thighs are vicious () but most of the discussion on that is just joking. Generally, the criticisms (mine anyway) go more into his lack of credibility. That isn't vicious, that is a comment on why his review isn't that helpful. Which should not be verboten here, no?

Third, you have probably discounted the alternative theory: we're just bored on an internet forum and having fun, taking the piss, bustin' balls, having a lark, or various other expressions with similar meaning and intent. BUT you probably rejected that because it seems a little TOO obvious and convenient, eh? Yeah bro. I'm feelin' that suspicion. I get it. I get it. I'm hip.

But, I dunno, whatever. I mean, I would likely prefer to disembody stereotypes but I think that is illegal in lots of places. Still if you feel your sense of self is being threatened by all the stereotypical behavior being embodied here then I am truly sorry. or something.
      05-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #20
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post

Well, three problems.

First, our 'only talking points' are not to engage in vicious insults against the reviewer. We've also engaged in vicious (yet true) insults against cheating tom brady and the cheating pats. And now we are debating which golf cart posts the best 1/4 mile. So get your damn facts right, man

Second, the insults aren't that vicious. I mean, yes, his shorts and thighs are vicious () but most of the discussion on that is just joking. Generally, the criticisms (mine anyway) go more into his lack of credibility. That isn't vicious, that is a comment on why his review isn't that helpful. Which should not be verboten here, no?

Third, you have probably discounted the alternative theory: we're just bored on an internet forum and having fun, taking the piss, bustin' balls, having a lark, or various other expressions with similar meaning and intent. BUT you probably rejected that because it seems a little TOO obvious and convenient, eh? Yeah bro. I'm feelin' that suspicion. I get it. I get it. I'm hip.

But, I dunno, whatever. I mean, I would likely prefer to disembody stereotypes but I think that is illegal in lots of places. Still if you feel your sense of self is being threatened by all the stereotypical behavior being embodied here then I am truly sorry. or something.
      05-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:

You criticize people judging others looking the part and then you say people in suits are crooks?

did you just contradict yourself?

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #22
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

On a related note, everyone I've ever known who drove a Club Car was a cheating loser.
Appreciate 2