BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

06-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
hjahmad
Rep
Drives: Imaginary e92 M3

First the house, now my car

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here and am finally serious of buying my favorite car, e92 M3. Currently in the process of building a house and baby 2 on the way, but buy next spring, I am looking to buy the car.
I am hoping to buy a newer version, specifically looking for a 2013 with lower miles.
Since I have some time before I buy, and I wont be in any rush to do so, I want to research as much as possible so I can get the car that I want.
I have some ideas for some of the basic items but I was hoping to find more information on the standard features and packages.
There are a few currently for sale at Enthusiast Auto in Ohio with the competition packages but I want to be sure it is worth the extra cost. (am I the only one that feels EA is overpriced?)
Is there anywhere I can find the original standard feature lists and package information?
one of the items I am curious about is the adjustable suspension? is that standard or competition only?

The other side of the research would the problems. I have seen the rod bearing issue mentioned a lot in the threads and a few videos such as on The Smoking Tire. how bad can this issue get? is this something that can kill an engine? any chance there is a recall or preemptive service that can be completed to avoid the issue completely?
By the time I am ready to buy, most of the available cars will be out of the original 4 year service plan and warranty. What other issues are there that I would need to keep an eye out for?

lastly, is it possible to get a car CPO'd if you don't buy if from a BMW dealer?

Thanks for the help. I apologize if these have been asked before. I have searched around as much as I could but most of the information I am looking for is difficulty to find or fragmented. any info or links are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
kb9uwu
Supreme Czar
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3 6MT (GONE)

Enthusiast Auto overpriced?!?!? No way!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
hjahmad
Rep
Drives: Imaginary e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post
Enthusiast Auto overpriced?!?!? No way!
Hahaha
anyone here ever bought from them and tried to negotiate?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #4
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjahmad View Post
Hey everyone,

Long time lurker here and am finally serious of buying my favorite car, e92 M3. Currently in the process of building a house and baby 2 on the way, but buy next spring, I am looking to buy the car.
I am hoping to buy a newer version, specifically looking for a 2013 with lower miles.
Since I have some time before I buy, and I wont be in any rush to do so, I want to research as much as possible so I can get the car that I want.
I have some ideas for some of the basic items but I was hoping to find more information on the standard features and packages.
There are a few currently for sale at Enthusiast Auto in Ohio with the competition packages but I want to be sure it is worth the extra cost. (am I the only one that feels EA is overpriced?)
Is there anywhere I can find the original standard feature lists and package information?
one of the items I am curious about is the adjustable suspension? is that standard or competition only?

The other side of the research would the problems. I have seen the rod bearing issue mentioned a lot in the threads and a few videos such as on The Smoking Tire. how bad can this issue get? is this something that can kill an engine? any chance there is a recall or preemptive service that can be completed to avoid the issue completely?
By the time I am ready to buy, most of the available cars will be out of the original 4 year service plan and warranty. What other issues are there that I would need to keep an eye out for?

lastly, is it possible to get a car CPO'd if you don't buy if from a BMW dealer?

Thanks for the help. I apologize if these have been asked before. I have searched around as much as I could but most of the information I am looking for is difficulty to find or fragmented. any info or links are appreciated.
Do not buy from those guys, out of principal alone (aside from getting raped on price). Do your due diligence, post a WTB add on the forum and get the word out. You'll be able to find one yourself.

See this recent thread I was involved with regarding EAG.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234775
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 02:16 AM   #5
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post
Do not buy from those guys, out of principal alone (aside from getting raped on price). Do your due diligence, post a WTB add on the forum and get the word out. You'll be able to find one yourself.

See this recent thread I was involved with regarding EAG.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234775
It was the original seller on that thread who have a bad experience. EA just snapped up a good car and sold it at a higher price.What's wrong with that? Except to suggest they have good card but bigger mark up
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
mreed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 | 2020 X3M

Here is a good site for info on packages.

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50

As for the rod bearings, there is potential for major damage requiring a brand new engine, ~$20k. It doesn't seem to be very common and outside of replacing the bearing early, there isn't really a fix/recall for it. I don't think you can CPO outside of a BMW dealer, but you could get an extended warranty, just make sure if covers the standard issues (bearings, throttle actuators, etc) and get it in writing.
      07-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

I may be selling my mint condition '13 comp pkg w/ 6,500mi.
PM me if you're interested.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

EA marks cars up? Wow, I learn something new here every day...
They have a compatriot up in Seattle that operates in the same fashion. Saw a nice 2011 e90 SS local dealer was offering @ 47k, left messages for the GSM to call me back to work out a price, and these @$&#! :-+ swept in bought it from under me...only to. offer it @ 54,500 the next day! Best part of the story, they sold it to some well heeled dude with $$$ to burn and zero brains on what to pay...
Then again everything happens for reasons...I found my garage queen here from another forum member with less miles, more features and less $$$!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #9
mharris2007
Need a 458
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 6MT E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing
EA marks cars up? Wow, I learn something new here every day...
They have a compatriot up in Seattle that operates in the same fashion. Saw a nice 2011 e90 SS local dealer was offering @ 47k, left messages for the GSM to call me back to work out a price, and these @$&#! :-+ swept in bought it from under me...only to. offer it @ 54,500 the next day! Best part of the story, they sold it to some well heeled dude with $$$ to burn and zero brains on what to pay...
Then again everything happens for reasons...I found my garage queen here from another forum member with less miles, more features and less $$$!
Lol! You speak the truth. Eag has morphed into a scalping agency that just takes people's money who have financial sense (or just don't care to). Glad you found your car!
Appreciate 0