BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

07-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M F85 Akra, RaceChip

Exclamation Extensive RaceChip inquiry and correspondence no bashing intended

Unfortunately I had a rough start with RC

I was not able to confirm 100% that there will be no CEL on 2nd and 3rd setting....In fact, I was advised to stay on the first setting because of the possibility of triggering a CEL light and Germany explained if that happens I will need to revert back to original setting and drive around 150-200 miles and the CEL will go away then I can reinstall! so 2nd and 3rd setting is pointless and could ruin my engine while warranty might not cover my car.
I am not a big fan of " it might" or "it could" i would rather go the "it will not" route

"https://www.racechip.eu/chip-tuning/quality-warranty-guarantee.html"

FYI Germany would give you 30 return period if you are not satisfied and they are not aware if the USA does the same. They assured me that the same product they sell in Germany is being sold in the USA

To be fare, I contacted the USA office and the available person answering the phone sounded like they were selling bolts and nuts only! he said that the business owner (Ben I believe) was out of the country. So I left my number and E-Mail address so Ben could get back to me while he wanted me to send Ben an E-Mail with my inquiry (and I did not) and I mentioned in my correspondence that I did and it was a typo while I was upset and that was a mistake on my behalf.

and here is what happened:
Germany

Hello I tried calling today and I was on the phone for 10 minutes but no one was picking up. To be honest that was not a great sign but nevertheless, I have a question about your product. my car is a 2016 BMW F85 X5M with 5500 KM on it. I noticed that it is selling in the USA. The problem is that they have Ethanol in their fuel but we don't here in Saudi Arabia and I was afraid that the software might be a bit different. What would be the gains if I had an Akra exhaust on and would it be a problem to have an Akra exhaust or not?
As for he setting, does it have multiple settings? is it compatible with Iphone?
How fast will be the process of install and uninstall for dealer warranty purposes and will anything show on their BMW Diagnostics?
Regards,
Luai Dahlan
Would your engine warranty cover my car knowing it was delivered to me early 2016

------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Dahlan,

Thank you for contacting the RaceChip Customer Service.

More Ethanol in the petrol is no problem for our modules.
The RaceChip will work fine.

If you have change the exhaust, then it's possible that the power is not the same as on our Homepage.

The basic setting is not the maximum power.
You can increase the power step by step till the maximum power with the rotary switches in the module.

Unfortunately we don't offer a module for this car.
So wen can not say if we will offer the RaceChip Ultimate Connect and the exact parameters.

As soon as you've completely uninstalled the RaceChip product and all plug connections are connected in the original condition,
then the vehicle is in series condition. So your garage can not prove the installation.

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Kind regards
Burcu Er

------------------------
-----Facebook Chat-----

Tim I was speaking with your representatives in Germany he told me the second and/or the third Setting of the Piggyback could trigger a check engine light. when I asked about this issue I was told it could be triggered depending on the weather and temperature and density of air going into the vehicle . These conditions could occur here in Jeddah Saudi Arabia*

-------------------------------------------------

Hi Luai,

I think the best information about the RaceChip in your clima condition can give you a guy who´s also in your area.
Unfortunately we do not have a reseller in Saudi Arabia - but we do have a friendly guy in Abu Dhabi (UAE).
http://jzmgulf.com/
I´m pretty sure he can give you proper information. Also it should be possible to place the order via his company. So you will have a better responsable person.
Best regards
Tim

------------------------------
Filled an Inquiry and tried to call with no response

------------------------------
-------------E-Mail back to Germany--------------

I was not able to get a clear answer about the possibility of triggering a CEL light on 2nd and 3rd setting.* I called USA, I called Germany, I called Dubai, I sent an email to all of them and I chatted online (on Facebook) and I am active about this topic onwww.bimmerpost.com.* Your company is very hard to deal with and get a solid answer from.* I was told that Velos ( www.velosdesignwerks.com/tuning/) is an inferior product on the road but maybe your company should learn how they handle their clients.* Try speaking to Omar and you will understand the difference in service.*
I decided to go against Racechip due to lack of valid information of reliability, CEL on different setups and performance with gasoline in the Middle-East ( knowing we have 2 grades 91,95.* Octane )
I will not rant about my experience on the forums because it's too long and boring to type. *
Regardless, Thank you for sending this survey link and good luck with your business.*
--------------------------------
E. Major (RaceChip)
Jul 21, 15:43 CEST
Dear Mr. Dahlan,

Hereby we inform you,that the RaceChip will work with your car even , if you have changed the exhaust on the car. The fuel typ will not influence the chip, because the chip is working with the sensors of the engine and the low octane fuel might affect the general power of the car, because the better the fuel , the better the car performs. The posibillity of triggering a error ligt on a higher setting is minimal, in case you will respect the recommended settings for this car.
In case you wish, you can give us your phone number an I will call you to discuss further details.

Should you require any more information or assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
You may simply reply to this message and a member of our team will get back to you.
E. Major
-------------------------
Dear Mr. Major,

* * *I would appreciate if a member of your upper management could communicate with me to clarify several issues.

Regards,*
--------------------------
Dear Mr. Dahlan,

thank you for the fast response. If you wish to clarify further questions or issues, I am more then glad to help you out with any problem or question ,that you would have.
E. Major
---------------------------

I thank you for your time and I wish you all the best with your business.*

Warm Regards,*

Last edited by LBBX5M; 07-22-2016 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
jlawphoto
Rep
Drives: X6M

Ive found the best resources for the RaceChip are X5OnFire and the owner of RG Sport Shop (+1 626 217-2161).

Call that number and they will talk to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawphoto View Post
Ive found the best resources for the RaceChip are X5OnFire and the owner of RG Sport Shop (+1 626 217-2161).

Call that number and they will talk to you.
Done that for both thanks though and X5onfire helped me a lot. Respect!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

LBBX5M , just to clarify some of your statement.
I am not the owner of RaceChip USA. I am the owner of RG Sport and I was out of the country.

If I didn't reply to your email or sent an email, my apology. I was in 3rd world country and where I stayed, internet was a luxury necessities.

If you haven't got any concrete answer, feel free to PM me.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
LBBX5M , just to clarify some of your statement.
I am not the owner of RaceChip USA. I am the owner of RG Sport and I was out of the country.

If I didn't reply to your email or sent an email, my apology. I was in 3rd world country and where I stayed, internet was a luxury necessities.

If you haven't got any concrete answer, feel free to PM me.
My apologies for misunderstanding forgive me. My issue is not with you at all !! don't get me wrong as I promised myself to always look at your shop before buying anything for my X5M. You have an unprecedented reputation of taking care of your customers among fellow members of this forum and you will always have my respect . My issue is with the product itself, and thinking out load of pros and cons since this will void the 10,000 USD I paid my dealership extra to extend my warranty on both engine and fully covered service for 5 years.

I hope you understand

Last edited by LBBX5M; 07-22-2016 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Sorry to hear the issues. I have been running my race chip for several months on the 3rd setting and have no issues at all.

Is it possible that it was not installed correctly. That would be hard to believe as it's pretty simple. I installed it myself
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Sorry to hear the issues. I have been running my race chip for several months on the 3rd setting and have no issues at all.

Is it possible that it was not installed correctly. That would be hard to believe as it's pretty simple. I installed it myself
I think you misunderstood what i am trying to get at I have not purchased the tune yet. I was considering buying it but Germany store advised me that the 2nd and 3rd setting could trigger a CEL and it seems like they have experienced that before since they offered the solution of reverting back to stock and driving for a while to get rid of the CEL. I am not a technical person but i am afraid that the triggered CEL will cost me my warranty.

My concern is the whether I live in, humidity and general atmosphere conditions. As i understood that the kit is "completely" safe... maybe for USA condition... not here.. Generally they advised not to go above the 1st setup to avoid the possibility of a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

I live in northern caifornia so it's not humid and not really hot. You can feel the difference in setting 1 but really felt the difference in 3

The cost of the race chip in my opinion is cheap enough to take the chance. If you trigger a CEL you should be able to change the setting or just remove without harm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBX5M View Post
I think you misunderstood what i am trying to get at I have not purchased the tune yet. I was considering buying it but Germany store advised me that the 2nd and 3rd setting could trigger a CEL and it seems like they have experienced that before since they offered the solution of reverting back to stock and driving for a while to get rid of the CEL. I am not a technical person but i am afraid that the triggered CEL will cost me my warranty.

My concern is the whether I live in, humidity and general atmosphere conditions. As i understood that the kit is "completely" safe... maybe for USA condition... not here.. Generally they advised not to go above the 1st setup to avoid the possibility of a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
LBBX5M
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
I live in northern caifornia so it's not humid and not really hot. You can feel the difference in setting 1 but really felt the difference in 3

The cost of the race chip in my opinion is cheap enough to take the chance. If you trigger a CEL you should be able to change the setting or just remove without harm
How about the 30 day money back guarantee? any ideas?
Appreciate 0