BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #1
SD-MAC
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Coding

I finally got around to having my vehicle coded tonight as part of the Invisihitch package. The process went well even though having someone remotely takeover my computer and car was, at least initially, a little unnerving. The service is offered by Codemycar and though the initial goal was to program the hitch related functions, they offer a bunch of other options at no cost. I probably did 20 codes, which includes such things as folding mirrors, increasing seat cooling, removing iDrive warning, etc... You can even swap out interior lighting colors.

I also had them turn off the ASD. I was surprised how much it changed the sound of what I thought was my exhaust. Simply put, the vehicle now is very quiet in all modes. I had to roll the windows down just to make sure I was still driving my M. Even though it's nearly laughable to think we need artificial exhaust sounds pumped into the cabin, I now understand why BMW does it.

After talking to the coder, the one downside I see is that any future software updates at the dealer will wipe out the coding. After getting accustomed to all of the changes, I can only imagine that would be very frustrating. Codemycar offers free re-coding in the event that happens but it takes time to download the files, arrange a time and about 45 minutes to actually code. All said, it took probably 2 hours of my time.

If I recall correctly, they charge $150 for the service if purchased directly from them. I don't remember seeing another post on this so I though I would share my experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 02:22 AM   #2
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-MAC View Post
I finally got around to having my vehicle coded tonight as part of the Invisihitch package. The process went well even though having someone remotely takeover my computer and car was, at least initially, a little unnerving. The service is offered by Codemycar and though the initial goal was to program the hitch related functions, they offer a bunch of other options at no cost. I probably did 20 codes, which includes such things as folding mirrors, increasing seat cooling, removing iDrive warning, etc... You can even swap out interior lighting colors.

I also had them turn off the ASD. I was surprised how much it changed the sound of what I thought was my exhaust. Simply put, the vehicle now is very quiet in all modes. I had to roll the windows down just to make sure I was still driving my M. Even though it's nearly laughable to think we need artificial exhaust sounds pumped into the cabin, I now understand why BMW does it.

After talking to the coder, the one downside I see is that any future software updates at the dealer will wipe out the coding. After getting accustomed to all of the changes, I can only imagine that would be very frustrating. Codemycar offers free re-coding in the event that happens but it takes time to download the files, arrange a time and about 45 minutes to actually code. All said, it took probably 2 hours of my time.

If I recall correctly, they charge $150 for the service if purchased directly from them. I don't remember seeing another post on this so I though I would share my experience.
Nice! I prefer just pulling the wire out for ASD as you can turn it off and on whenever you like.

Can you give more info about the interior light colors and increased seat cooling?
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
SD-MAC
Rep

If you go to www.codemycar.com they have the coding lists and other information. I didn't change colors as I like the blue, but so far I like the auto fold mirrors, disabled legal disclaimers and ability to shut the tailgate (both from inside and remotely).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

I thought the interior light color thing was already configurable in iDrive? I saw a video from a dealer showing off this feature on the X5M, and it seemed standard.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
SD-MAC
Rep

It is standard but the coding allows you swap out standard colors for non-standard, e.g. blue to pink.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-MAC View Post
Crap. I had mine coded and now there's a new software update for iDrive. If I update it, it will definitely wipe the old codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
SD-MAC
Rep

Yes, the coder was pretty clear the updates restore the factory settings. How recent is the update?
Appreciate 0