ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

How powerful is your cellphone

Just got off the phone with said brother-in-law.

He said that I would expect an April Folls joke on April 1st , so he sent it early.

Yep yep April Fool in March

Copy this and keep it handy
----------------------------------------------
5 things your cell phone can do

Five Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do!
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST - Emergency
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number
112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND - Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone. If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. This will save someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
Note: It works! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!

THIRD - Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys: *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH - How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: *#06# A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

FIFTH - Free Directory Service for Cells : Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now

Last edited by imz4n; 03-26-2008 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

1) Dunno
2) Don't believe it.
3) This is for Nokia phones and it changes the audio codec to high quality so this probably uses more power.
4) True
5) Wouldnt know, false advertising?

E-mail spam makes it to the forums.

Next thing you know we'll have to post the same post 10 times or we'll get cancer.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

1. Is True.
2. Don't believe it either...that would be a great trick for car thieves.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
1. Is True.
2. Don't believe it either...that would be a great trick for car thieves.
How could thieves have the right key fob?

Sheesh, you guys are all so negative...oh, no, wait that was the engineering meeting I was just in.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep

OK I tried it and the key thing does not work. I tried it on the BMW and I tried it on the Yukon which has the seperate alarm fob and it did not work either. I guess I should test this stuff before I post it. Can I go to jail for killing my brother-in-law?

Sorry
      03-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
OK I tried it and the key thing does not work. I tried it on the BMW and I tried it on the Yukon which has the seperate alarm fob and it did not work either. I guess I should test this stuff before I post it. Can I go to jail for killing my brother-in-law?

Sorry

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #7
Roland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MCoupe

Quote:

Sorry
Nah - you are giving up to easily. Your brother in law failed to give you the detailed instructions for these cellphone features. You seem like a bright person and I can give you the instructions that will actually work. In order for them to work for you, they need to be customized specifically for you. So...please send me your:
  • mother's maiden name,
  • your date of birth,
  • your full name, and
  • your social security number.
Once I get those things from you, I'll update the instructions and send them back to you so you can see that these things work.

Sorry - couldn't resist.
      03-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep

As it turns out this is a April Fools joke pay back from 30 + years ago. One would think people would get over it and not hold a grudge. Not so In my family.

Explanation:

I was born and raised in southern Ohio on a family farm. My next oldest sister is going to announce that she is to be married, so the whole family is getting together on Sunday for the announcment. The immediate family knows the guy, however not the cousins and the rest of the family. This guy is a city boy to the max. I don't even think he knew what dirt was, before meeting my sister. This city slicker has this really loud, fast, beautiful 69 Camero. The car scares the cows, hogs and chickens every time he comes down the lane. The lane is almost 1/4 mile long mind you. Upon arriving at the house he starts complaining about the ridge in the middle of the lane and how it is tearing up his car. Now you know who's job it is to grade the lane, mine. So I have a bit of a bone to pick with this dude. More work , just what I need. So here comes Sunday and knowing that the dude is going to show up early and help set up. I had talked with my uncle ( the local law) and set up this dude. The dude had been asked to pick up some items from the store before coming out to the house. My uncle who has never met the dude before was waiting for him. He pulls into the store and goes in. When he comes out , here is the uncle writing him a ticket for unbapped headers. He goes to get in the car when he is told the car will be impounded till Monday. So here comes the call to the house to come get him.Arriving at the house we are told this story. Eye contact is being made all over the room and come to focus on me. I was truing so hard not to laugh. My dad states that he will get to the bottom of the problem and not to worry. So off we went preparing for the meal. I'm out getting tables and chairs set up when my dad catches up with me. Dad is telling me he just got off the phone with my uncle and had been told how things happened. My sister and the dude was in the garden picking string beans for the meal. My dad calls for my sister to come to the house and proceeds to tell her what had happened. My sister is about to have my head when the dude starts yelling from the garden. He was in the rows of beans with a hoe just making a mess of the garden. Swinging that hoe like an ax. This dude is 6-4 and about 210 poumds. Dad and I run to the garden to see what was going on. We are told that a big snake had come through the garden and he had killed it and was acting all big and all. Come to find the dead garden snake ( non poisonous ) in this big pile of string bean bushes. I was about to have some choice words with the city slicker when my dad stepped in and started telling him what a good job he had done. Now I'm feeling confused by this time. Dad lets them head for the house while we have a good laugh. All said and done thirty + years later he is now having a good laugh.

After me being had, and a phone call to him, telling what happened today ( I should have just kept my mouth shut ) he now feels better I guess.

Just a few minutes ago my sister called , with him still laughing, wanted me to tell what forums ( plural) I had posted it on. That did not happen, needless to say.

Sorry for the post and I figured I needed to explain how it happened
      03-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

off topic....

112 is police # in korea lol i know for a fact 911 works even when your phone is locked.

i heard the cell phone thing works with the right keyless entry system(frequency issues)

1-800-CALL-411 is free as well
      03-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I got this last year at work. The only one I didn't follow up on was #1.

1. never checked
2. false. Phones transmit audio signals and have no way of recording and transmitting frequencies themselves (unless audible of course). This has been dis proven several times by several people.
3. false
4. false (telephone providers work off the SIM only and not the phone itself)
5. true. There are some free directories available
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
As it turns out this is a April Fools joke pay back from 30 + years ago. One would think people would get over it and not hold a grudge. Not so In my family.
If you would have just waited 6 more days to post this it would have worked to your advantage
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
off topic....

112 is police # in korea lol i know for a fact 911 works even when your phone is locked.

i heard the cell phone thing works with the right keyless entry system(frequency issues)

1-800-CALL-411 is free as well
112 is also the emergency # in europe...so worldwide doesn't seem like a stretch

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

OK Dudes...I've been a Telecom Engineer for over 20 years...16 of them in Wireless/Cellular. So lets see....

1- As some of you have already posted 112 is the emergency number in many parts of the world. So all carriers have a translation for this number. So yes it does work. We even have the numbers for the dislecksic...119 or 211! It would not surprise me that you could dial it from a locked phone...I tried it on a few phones and some do, other don't. Also, you do not need an activated phone to call emergency numbers such as 911, and other specialty numbers a carrier might have such as *police, *16 for the coast guard, etc.

2- I have never tried it because it won't work. First, remotes are RF, so they are MODULATED carriers, not BASEBAND. So they won't work. And even if you had one that was baseband and in the voice spectrum, the PCS system use CDMA or TDMA schemes over the air, that do a number of things to "voice frequencies"...like compression that would mess everything up. CDMA doesn't even pass single frequency tones properly.

3-Special codes like these are manufacturer or phone specific. I'm not aware of this one, but if it did work, it would be because it is making changes to the dormant stages of the phone (time it checks to see if it is paged), turn off or shorten stuff like the screen or even control the output power. So yes it could work.

4-GSM phones in particular have IMEI code (International Mobile Equipment Identity). These numbers can be kept in a database in the HLR (Home Locator Registry) and inputed at time of subsciption entry. So upon registration, itcan be dipped to see if the phone is valid. I work for a very small carrier and we do not do this anymore. Phones are just to cheap and it's too hard to keep track of all these phones.

5-Yes, but you pay for the airtime and need to hear the commercial first.

Hope this helps...BigLeo

Quote:
----------------------------------------------
5 things your cell phone can do

Five Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do!
There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST - Emergency
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number
112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND - Have you locked your keys in the car?
Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone. If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. This will save someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).
Note: It works! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!

THIRD - Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys: *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH - How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: *#06# A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

FIFTH - Free Directory Service for Cells : Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now
      03-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #14
BlackSapphireZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 GLE 53 Coupe

no commercial on 1800 call 411
      03-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
BigLeo48
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphireZ View Post
no commercial on 1800 call 411
Yeah OK...I did not try that one as there are a few services like that, some do. However I don't see how they would make money at this. Perhaps they sell the call records (Calling and Called party info).

BigLeo