Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

Winter set up?

Hello All! I will be taking delivery of my M3 around late oct or early Nov. Leaving me with just a few weeks to enjoy the snow free weather.

This is also my first RWD car and my first BMW. I live in New England and I was hoping to get some recommendations on Wheel/tire combos for the winter months.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I'm in RI and I have the 640M with the Contis (BMW package). I don't challenge a snow storm so I am happy with the performance aspect of the tire with the ability to get through a few inches of snow. But if you're going to be using it during heavier snow you might want to consider X-Ice or Blizzak.
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

I will be going with Apex EC-7 18x9ET31 square set up. Will most likely be running 255/40/18 Dunlop Wintersport 3D, although I may consider the Continental TS830 as well. The reviews have been pretty good for them (Although mostly European reviews. Can't seem to find any North American perspective on the tires).
Appreciate 1
Tobes95.00
      08-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics80 View Post
Hello All! I will be taking delivery of my M3 around late oct or early Nov. Leaving me with just a few weeks to enjoy the snow free weather.

This is also my first RWD car and my first BMW. I live in New England and I was hoping to get some recommendations on Wheel/tire combos for the winter months.

TIA
Your situation sounds pretty similar to mine from last year (I also live in southern NH). The M3 was my first RWD car and also my DD so I needed it to work in everything but blizzards. If the M3 is your only car or if you plan to drive your car in snow or just the cold will determine what tire you want.

I really didn't want to break the bank so I ordered everything off tire rack (Tulley may give you a discount on the BMW OEM set though, but it was listed at something over $3000).

I picked up a set of Michelin X-ICE XI3 245/45/18 tires, they're a studless ice and snow tire. I had no issues in any storm last year, no problem driving through 4-6 inches of snow, even doing a 3 point turn at the end of my driveway. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true

I also picked up the cheapest 18 inch rims on tire rack at the time. They happened to be Rial P10s. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...kageFlow=false

A winter performance tire will perform better in dry cold conditions (little more traction) than a studless ice and snow but won't be as good in actual deeper snow. Also if you optioned the CCBs you'll need to step up to a 19 inch tire and rim. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

Perfect! thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
MadBeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics80 View Post

TIA
Your situation sounds pretty similar to mine from last year (I also live in southern NH). The M3 was my first RWD car and also my DD so I needed it to work in everything but blizzards. If the M3 is your only car or if you plan to drive your car in snow or just the cold will determine what tire you want.

I really didn't want to break the bank so I ordered everything off tire rack (Tulley may give you a discount on the BMW OEM set though, but it was listed at something over $3000).

I picked up a set of Michelin X-ICE XI3 245/45/18 tires, they're a studless ice and snow tire. I had no issues in any storm last year, no problem driving through 4-6 inches of snow, even doing a 3 point turn at the end of my driveway. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true

I also picked up the cheapest 18 inch rims on tire rack at the time. They happened to be Rial P10s. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...kageFlow=false

A winter performance tire will perform better in dry cold conditions (little more traction) than a studless ice and snow but won't be as good in actual deeper snow. Also if you optioned the CCBs you'll need to step up to a 19 inch tire and rim. Good luck
I am debating this right now. Blizzaks, which I had on my E92 or a studless snow like yours. Any thoughts on the amount of mileage you can get out of the studlesss set?

I live in WI and waiting the arrival of my M4 this December after doing ED.

We get a lot of snow but my commute is 50 miles daily and it's almost all highway. The part I sometime struggles with is getting the 5 miles to the highway. So I am stuck between these two choices. Any thoughts / experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
pdx_m3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M2 G87 | 08 E90 | 16 F80

Hi jpics80 I lived in New England a few years ago and can vouch for bridgestone blizzaks. The only thing is that I had a square setup on 18" rims on my 328i; this was before I got my F80. Nonetheless, I plowed through several feet of unplowed snow both and travelled over 20 miles from Back bay up through I93 north through the snow storms of 2013 and 2014.

Now that I'm in Portland, Oregon, I just bought a toyota tacoma and will keep my M3 in the garage until the freezing rain stops!
2008 BMW M3 Saloon
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeamer View Post
I am debating this right now. Blizzaks, which I had on my E92 or a studless snow like yours. Any thoughts on the amount of mileage you can get out of the studlesss set?

I live in WI and waiting the arrival of my M4 this December after doing ED.

We get a lot of snow but my commute is 50 miles daily and it's almost all highway. The part I sometime struggles with is getting the 5 miles to the highway. So I am stuck between these two choices. Any thoughts / experience?
Just saw this, can't really say on mileage. I put about 4000 on last winter and they still look great. They do carry a 6 year 40,000 mile warranty though http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=X-Ice+Xi3
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Here is my setup with Michelin PA4
$2600 for everything. Tires, wheels, TPMS, shipping, mounting

Initial Thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1176260

Follow up Thread with more pictures mounted:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1219580