BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Lately I've had a bunch....

....of trucks trying to test me from a dig....for no reason. First was a 5.7 Tundra. We both had what I like to refer to as "pole position" (being the first car in front of a stoplight), and I knew that in about 600 ft, I'd need to get over in his lane to make a left turn. Light turns green, I roll into the throttle, and dude is like, "Not on my watch!" and proceeds to floor it. Game on. By the time I got to the point where I needed to execute the lane change, I was ahead enough, but it would be close, and I didn't want to be a d*ck. I decelerated and hopped in behind him.

Yesterday was the opposite scenario. I needed to change into the right lane about the same distance, but the truck was a V8 Denali. Light turns green, I ease into the throttle, and dude ROMPS it. The Tundra pulled *much* harder than the Denali, and it was over for the Denali after the 1-2 shift.

Last was while I was out and about in the evening and it was from a roll. I was traveling down a long straight at about 35mph and came across a Yukon. As soon as I started to slowly pass him, the truck surges and takes off. Of course I took the bait *lol*. Speed limit in that area was 65, but this was over at 60. When I flew past him, I stayed @ 65, then started to drop my speed, and he wouldn't pass, he just kept slowing down. This went on literally for 2 miles. When we caught a light a little bit up the road, we were the only 2 vehicles on that stretch, and he wouldn't pull all the way up, choosing instead to stay in my blind spot.

Off the line, the trucks are no joke, as they have all that tq down low, but 6000ish-8600rpms is the place where the M3 shines. I wonder how many truck guys actually know that there's a V8 under the hood?

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-03-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

A lot of people I've met don't believe I have a V8 under the hood.
      10-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

fun post to read, this definitively mirrors my experience. I've come to realize everybody on the road, or almost, misjudge this car. This car is the biggest sleeper in stock form i can think of and the worst poser car ever. Nobody will give it credit. Even when someone thinks it's a nice car they mean - nice for a 3 series - not nice sports car. I mean Porsche get overestimated by the masses, this car gets underestimated. No way do they think it's anything different than the hundred thousands little 3 series they've seen before.
I've pulverized too many trucks trying to challenge to count. But once they got schooled i love how they hang out behind in your blind spot or further back no wanting to show their face no more.
Neighbors who see me with the dealer 528i loaner think i've 'upgraded' to a bigger more expensive car . They even have a hard time believing a 528i could not keep up with an M3. For a long time this country vehicle manufacturers GMC / Chevy / Ford was trying to supersize all their prehistoric trucks. A lot of people still have that mentality. They think truck size means more power than smaller car, big mistake with an M3.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 10-03-2016 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
rmcard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (AW/ZCP)

The "Native Texan" in your profile cracks me up. Please tell me you don't have those license plates too.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
fun post to read, this definitively mirrors my experience. I've come to realize everybody on the road, or almost, misjudge this car. This car is the biggest sleeper in stock form i can think of and the worst poser car ever. Nobody will give it credit. Even when someone thinks it's a nice car they mean - nice for a 3 series - not nice sports car. I mean Porsche get overestimated by the masses, this car gets underestimated. No way do they think it's anything different than the hundred thousands little 3 series they've seen before.
I've pulverized too many trucks trying to challenge to count. But once they got schooled i love how they hang out behind in your blind spot or further back no wanting to show their face no more.
Neighbors who see me with the dealer 528i loaner think i've 'upgraded' to a bigger more expensive car . They even have a hard time believing a 528i could not keep up with an M3. For a long time this country vehicle manufacturers GMC / Chevy / Ford was trying to supersize all their prehistoric trucks. A lot of people still have that mentality. They think truck size means more power than smaller car, big mistake with an M3.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I tell my friends all the time that I drive a sleeper, and they all tell me that there's nothing sleeper about an M3. My car is LOUD when I step on the gas, and I mean *loud*. a. f. It's very docile when I'm shifting based on the Efficient Dynamics recommendations, but if I'm it, you know I'm in it. The dual nature of the setup lends to everyone thinking that it's stock, as most of the time, I'm not trying to nail it. And I guess most people think a quiet BMW is a slow BMW. With the proliferation of JB4-equipped 335Is, one would think that this belief has been dispelled, but alas, no. So, I'll keep doing my part to educate the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcard View Post
The "Native Texan" in your profile cracks me up. Please tell me you don't have those license plates too.
Negative, I do not....regular state-issued, everyday plates.....I don't want people to be able to readily identify my car, and vanity plates would help them do exactly that Outside the drop, wheels, exhaust, c/f rear valence and c/f rear deck spoiler, my car looks like every other AW 3-series

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-03-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said. I tell my friends all the time that I drive a sleeper, and they all tell me that there's nothing sleeper about an M3. My car is LOUD when I step on the gas, and I mean *loud*. a. f. It's very docile when I'm shifting based on the Efficient Dynamics recommendations, but if I'm it, you know I'm in it. The dual nature of the setup lends to everyone thinking that it's stock, as most of the time, I'm not trying to nail it. And I guess most people think a quiet BMW is a slow BMW. With the proliferation of JB4-equipped 335Is, one would think that this belief has been dispelled, but alas, no. So, I'll keep doing my part to educate the masses
I think most people who don't know bmw 'want' this car to be nothing more than the thousand-and-one 3 series they've seen, and it's my explanation they think the quad rear pipes is some aftermarket China fake part for the looks, and the ///M3 logo something you've invented and glued on the car. They know what a 3 series looks like, they conclude this one is cosmetically modified. They snark at it, thinking big poseur ahead with imaginary performance parts, time to teach a lesson to that beemer. We know the rest.

You're right about people's assumption that a quiet bmw is a slow bmw. I bet a loud exhaust would give us a break and maybe that is one valid reason to get one. I'll admit there are times i wished the car was a little better known among the masses, so that most challengers would know their place ( behind ) and not try to compete out of their league. Truck people are probably not well connected with European brands. They may make all the above incorrect assumptions.

I think that sizes is what make people treat cars a certain way. The M3 is small, the track is too narrow for that assertive fast car look. Spacers, larger offset wheels, big tires can help but it's never as good as a wider stock chassis like on a Porsche or GT-R, that's when people assume it's more capable. When they see the tight M3 rear they think mid-size regular car.

another factor that you pointed out, is they imagine we're trying to race when we're only driving relaxed. I've seen fools with windows down who suddenly give it all they have when they hear the S65 taking off leisurely from a stop.

I think the exact opposite to a sleeper is a corvette. Very conspicuous, probably never gets taunted by lowball challengers, not because it's better but it's designed to dissuade anyone who would even think about it. Superwide, and big fat ass, rambling truck engine sound idle, lol. I think the M3 is a bit too much on the sleeper side, but there it's limited by having a chassis shared with the regular serie. The M3 weakness as a sports car is on the looks but at least the engine is no regular serie derivative. The new gen Ms can no longer say that much. It's ok not to have pure sports car looks if you got the engine, and it is why i like the E92 M3.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 10-03-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Get over yourself. M3 is not a special car.

OP, I think you're dumb for street racing. Took "bait?" LOL. What are you trying to prove, that your car is fast? Who cares. It doesn't matter, unless, I guess, you're trying to boost your ego, which is pathetic.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #8
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Came across these red neck-like turds before but I have no interest in proving to them or easily provoked. The things I don't like tho is when they cut in front of you slinging all that dirt or other crap they drove on to your car. So to avoid their slinging shit on my car I usually drop a gear and pass them so they can change lane behind me.

Another thing I hate is when these fukkers tries to tailgate you.

Last edited by Agent-GHQ; 10-03-2016 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname
....of trucks trying to test me from a dig....for no reason. First was a 5.7 Tundra. We both had what I like to refer to as "pole position" (being the first car in front of a stoplight), and I knew that in about 600 ft, I'd need to get over in his lane to make a left turn. Light turns green, I roll into the throttle, and dude is like, "Not on my watch!" and proceeds to floor it. Game on. By the time I got to the point where I needed to execute the lane change, I was ahead enough, but it would be close, and I didn't want to be a d*ck. I decelerated and hopped in behind him.

Yesterday was the opposite scenario. I needed to change into the right lane about the same distance, but the truck was a V8 Denali. Light turns green, I ease into the throttle, and dude ROMPS it. The Tundra pulled *much* harder than the Denali, and it was over for the Denali after the 1-2 shift.

Last was while I was out and about in the evening and it was from a roll. I was traveling down a long straight at about 35mph and came across a Yukon. As soon as I started to slowly pass him, the truck surges and takes off. Of course I took the bait *lol*. Speed limit in that area was 65, but this was over at 60. When I flew past him, I stayed @ 65, then started to drop my speed, and he wouldn't pass, he just kept slowing down. This went on literally for 2 miles. When we caught a light a little bit up the road, we were the only 2 vehicles on that stretch, and he wouldn't pull all the way up, choosing instead to stay in my blind spot.

Off the line, the trucks are no joke, as they have all that tq down low, but 6000ish-8600rpms is the place where the M3 shines. I wonder how many truck guys actually know that there's a V8 under the hood?
Uhm, did you know that some lowlife put a "I eat trucks for breakfast" bumper sticker on your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #10
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcard View Post
It is a warning for normal people.

I served a 2 year sentence in Texas.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #11
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

This has been my experience driving in Texas close to all my life.. both bimmers I've had, nobody wants to conceive and let you be in front of them no matter the cost, but really only in Texas. I tried to be a dick to those kind of truck drivers when at all possible lol. I'll get cut off for absolutely no reason, and immediately go around and cut them back off..but when they try and 'race' me off the line, I'll give it half throttle or so to 4k and keep even then just let off and let them waste their gas. Make themselves look and realize they were being an asshole to everybody around
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #12
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

Quote:

I had someone in a minivan trying to race me from a dig in the E90 M3. I didn't take the bate, but I know full well that a late-model, AWD minivan with no passengers and close to 300 hp could very well embarrass an E90 M3 shifting below 5k rpm. It's the love/hate relationship with the S65's powerband and gear ratios. You do honestly need to be in the upper 1/3 of the RPM range to extract meaningful power and it's easy to get caught off guard in a manual so not surprised that some of these V8 trucks gave a good run off the line.
Appreciate 1
Yeru211.50
      10-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Get over yourself. M3 is not a special car.
Uhm, did I ever say it was?

Quote:
OP, I think you're dumb for street racing. Took "bait?" LOL. What are you trying to prove, that your car is fast? Who cares. It doesn't matter, unless, I guess, you're trying to boost your ego, which is pathetic.
Who said anything about racing? As I said, I rolled into the throttle, never did I mention anything about racing. If I were racing, I would have depressed the "M" button for the added benefits, including the stiffer EDC suspension setting. I *also* would've been using launch control, as I have that coded in courtesy of Mike Benvo. As I mentioned, I was trying to change lanes.

Chances are you and l will most likely bump into each other at a meet or something at some point. Which should be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPop View Post
I had someone in a minivan trying to race me from a dig in the E90 M3. I didn't take the bate, but I know full well that a late-model, AWD minivan with no passengers and close to 300 hp could very well embarrass an E90 M3 shifting below 5k rpm. It's the love/hate relationship with the S65's powerband and gear ratios. You do honestly need to be in the upper 1/3 of the RPM range to extract meaningful power and it's easy to get caught off guard in a manual so not surprised that some of these V8 trucks gave a good run off the line.
Yeah, I was just wanting to do a little lane changing, and next thing I know, dudes were like, "uhm, no." I know the trucks had all the low end grunt, so I wasn't necessarily surprised, I was just like, "Really? This is happening right now?"

There's a guy in my parking garage with an SRT-4 Neon w/a front mount. Some of my co-workers and I were walking by it, and they were making fun of it. They thought I was kidding when I said, "Yeeeeaaahhhhh......I wouldn't race that atm."

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-03-2016 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #14
gfisher99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3, '18 M2, '22 X3M

I'm in Austin as well and have never had anyone try to race me. Not sure where you are driving where you are running into this business.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
I'm in Austin as well and have never had anyone try to race me. Not sure where you are driving where you are running into this business.
West Texas

..Half of drivers in Dallas
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #16
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
It is a warning for normal people.

I served a 2 year sentence in Texas.
I'm around Austin. Think California in regards to the majority of us here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
McNeil by 620
183N in Cedar Park
Brushy Creek by 183A

And there have been countless times people attempt shenanigans on 183 N near Anderson Mill, on 130, on 45. I can hear the racing on the tolls every Friday and Sat night from my place. It's nuts, as I can't see how the police can't hear it. I goes on until 2-3am most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Uhm, did you know that some lowlife put a "I eat trucks for breakfast" bumper sticker on your car?
Good looking out, man. I didn't notice that earlier

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-03-2016 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #17
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Uhm, did I ever say it was?

No, talking to Joe. He seems like the typical "my car and I are special" kind of guy. I should have made that more clear in my post, sorry.

Who said anything about racing? As I said, I rolled into the throttle, never did I mention anything about racing. If I were racing, I would have depressed the "M" button for the added benefits, including the stiffer EDC suspension setting. I *also* would've been using launch control, as I have that coded in courtesy of Mike Benvo. As I mentioned, I was trying to change lanes.

Reread your third scenario. I highly doubt your EDC suspension would be helpful in straightline driving. If anything, the extra weight of that suspension is slowing you down. I did not know you could use launch control while moving. I should give it a try.

Chances are you and l will most likely bump into each other at a meet or something at some point. Which should be fun

We won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #18
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Reread your third scenario. I highly doubt your EDC suspension would be helpful in straightline driving. If anything, the extra weight of that suspension is slowing you down. I did not know you could use launch control while moving. I should give it a try.

We won't.
Obviously, 3rd scenario excludes using launch control, but in the 3rd scenario, I explicitly pointed out that I didn't exceed the posted speed limit.

Never say never, my man. You never know who you'll run into. Austin is a pretty small town, especially in the car circles. Dollar to donuts if you've ever done any track days @ COTA, visited Collin for your alignment, or spent any time @ H2R, we probably know quite a few of the same people. Just a matter of time.....

BTW, here's some video you posted in your collection https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvl...w=0&shelf_id=0 of you redlining your car in 2 or 3rd gear in a residential neighborhood, (starting @ the 3:00 mark according to your description of the video) so miss me with your self-righteous bull$hit. Perhaps one shouldn't attempt to throw stones when in a glass house. I'm pret-ty sure you were going waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the speed limit. I don't drive like this in places like that. You, however....

Keep it safe, player.....and watch out for that glass.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 10-04-2016 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Obviously, 3rd scenario excludes using launch control, but in the 3rd scenario, I explicitly pointed out that I didn't exceed the posted speed limit.

Never say never, my man. You never know who you'll run into. Austin is a pretty small town, especially in the car circles. Dollar to donuts if you've ever done any track days @ COTA, visited Collin for your alignment, or spent any time @ H2R, we probably know quite a few of the same people. Just a matter of time.....

BTW, here's some video you posted in your collection https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvl...w=0&shelf_id=0 of you redlining your car in 2 or 3rd gear in a residential neighborhood, so miss me with your self-righteous bull$hit. Perhaps one shouldn't attempt to throw stones when in a glass house. I'm pret-ty sure you were going waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the speed limit I don't drive like this in places like that. You, however....

Keep it safe, player.....and watch out for that glass.
Understood, but cmon, took bait? Seriously. Why not just ignore people? You won't get anything out of proving anything.

I'm actually going up to around 7k RPM in second, not redline. That's around 35 MPH? That's not a neighborhood road actually, just connects to the neighborhood entrance.

Yes, I used to drive like an ass and would speed all the time. I stopped, simple as that. I may open the car up a bit from time to time, but absolutely no speeding. I'm an angel now.

Edit: Did you link the right video? Sounds like you're referring to a different one.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #20
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Nice read and I've had my fair share of truck drivers trying to race me, but my car is loud all of the time and is bright ass blue so a lot less sleeperish. I usually just give it a little gas to show them who's boss and how loud the car can actually be just for fun.

I recently bought a 2014 V8 f-150 so maybe I'll bring it to the next meetup or cars and coffee and we can run up to 40 MPH .
      10-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Almost any pole position light, where a merge is required up ahead, this will happen. Doesn't matter if it's a sports car, truck, or a damn Prius.

I think it's two things. Some people always want to win, they literally treat this as a drag race. Others think the person trying to merge wants to win. And they refuse to allow it. Thinking the person merging is an asshat for wanting to be first. Lol. People....
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2016, 10:28 AM   #22
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Understood, but cmon, took bait? Seriously. Why not just ignore people? You won't get anything out of proving anything.

I'm actually going up to around 7k RPM in second, not redline. That's around 35 MPH? That's not a neighborhood road actually, just connects to the neighborhood entrance.

Yes, I used to drive like an ass and would speed all the time. I stopped, simple as that. I may open the car up a bit from time to time, but absolutely no speeding. I'm an angel now.

Edit: Did you link the right video? Sounds like you're referring to a different one.
Your own commentary at the bottom of the video says "Redline @ 3:00". You were already moving at a decent speed when you downshift, so that puts you at lowest, in 1st. You then proceed to redline, by your own admission, so you're *at least* at the top of 2nd, which is way more than 35.

My point is, we all have our moments of weakness in our cars. No one drives like an angel 100% of the time, so don't sit in judgment of someone else when you no doubt do some janky $hit yourself sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Almost any pole position light, where a merge is required up ahead, this will happen. Doesn't matter if it's a sports car, truck, or a damn Prius.

I think it's two things. Some people always want to win, they literally treat this as a drag race. Others think the person trying to merge wants to win. And they refuse to allow it. Thinking the person merging is an asshat for wanting to be first. Lol. People....
Yeah, I see that, too. I drive my truck 95% of the time, and I know it's slow, so there's no point in even trying to out-accelerate anyone *lol*. It is a complete exercise in futility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Nice read and I've had my fair share of truck drivers trying to race me, but my car is loud all of the time and is bright ass blue so a lot less sleeperish. I usually just give it a little gas to show them who's boss and how loud the car can actually be just for fun.

I recently bought a 2014 V8 f-150 so maybe I'll bring it to the next meetup or cars and coffee and we can run up to 40 MPH .
You'll win that. By that time, getting traction through the first couple gears will *also* be an exercise in futility
Appreciate 0