BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

10-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

DTRL issue cant turn it off

This is a minor issue but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. I have the LED package. I coded the parking lights to be at 50% power. I noticed prior to coding there was an option, a check box, in Idrive that allowed me to completely turn off the daytime running lights. I no longer have that option. Has anyone else run into this issue?
      10-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

HU_NBT(2): DAYDRIVING_LIGHT = standard for idrive option to toggle DRL's.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Fantastic. I'll give it a shot
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFore View Post
This is a minor issue but I am curious if anyone else has experienced this. I have the LED package. I coded the parking lights to be at 50% power. I noticed prior to coding there was an option, a check box, in Idrive that allowed me to completely turn off the daytime running lights. I no longer have that option. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Was a software update also done and is there a difference between the intensity (and presence of the tail lights on/off) with the various switch positions and exterior ambient brightness (day/night)? Almaretto and I have been discussing DRL on a few different BMW's and the latest software updates have an effect and a few lines on some CAFD files may need some mapping tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Cabriolet

Garage List
Honest question, why would anyone ever actually want to disable DRLs? I can't think of a single valid reason to want to make your car less visible to other people on the road (who likely aren't paying much attention to boot). Personally I code my rear lights to be on with DRLs as well ... anything you can do to decrease the chances of getting hit is time/money well spent in my books.
      10-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan ///M4 View Post
Honest question, why would anyone ever actually want to disable DRLs? I can't think of a single valid reason to want to make your car less visible to other people on the road (who likely aren't paying much attention to boot). Personally I code my rear lights to be on with DRLs as well ... anything you can do to decrease the chances of getting hit is time/money well spent in my books.
When I am living in areas that are sunny at 70+ degrees most of the time, there is no difficulty seeing my vehicle. I sometimes toggle mine off, but I read most people trying to enable rear DRL's, increase brightness, or disable dimming when low beams are turned on rather than disable.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
MFore
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
When I am living in areas that are sunny at 70+ degrees most of the time, there is no difficulty seeing my vehicle. I sometimes toggle mine off, but I read most people trying to enable rear DRL's, increase brightness, or disable dimming when low beams are turned on rather than disable.

Almaretto, perfect info. Thanks so much. I now have the option to toggle the dtrl in idrive back! No on software update applied. I have the software my car came with. I did not notice any affect on the brightness on any of the lights. I do have my parking light angel eyes set to 50%. I would prefer to set the dtrl to 50% and the parking lights to 100% but that may be for another day.

To answer the question of why you would want to turn off the dtrl...first off, that is the way the car comes from the factory. Second, because you cant think of a reason to do something doesn't mean that a reason does not exist. And C) according to your logic why would you not just drive around with your headlights on all the time? Why even have an option for daytime running lights? More options is always better in my book. Some options may be better but I would like to decide not have it decided for me. Don't mean to get all philosophical here just my thoughts.
      10-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #8
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I'm really curious to know if anyone who disables the corona dimming with low beams has ever seen how bright they are at night when exposed to them oncoming or from behind. I get the aesthetic reason but damn...they're extremely bright and so diffused it's almost as bad as high beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFore View Post
Almaretto, perfect info. Thanks so much. I now have the option to toggle the dtrl in idrive back! No on software update applied. I have the software my car came with. I did not notice any affect on the brightness on any of the lights. I do have my parking light angel eyes set to 50%. I would prefer to set the dtrl to 50% and the parking lights to 100% but that may be for another day.
Not exactly what you're thinking but very close and easy to do...leave the DRL and parking light settings as original. Want the parking lights at 100%? Just leave DRL active in iDrive and turn the switch. No dimming will occur. Change your mind and want them dim or have he "DRL" dim? Disable DRL in iDrive and turn the switch. Instant dimming.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
I'm really curious to know if anyone who disables the corona dimming with low beams has ever seen how bright they are at night when exposed to them oncoming or from behind. I get the aesthetic reason but damn...they're extremely bright and so diffused it's almost as bad as high beams.
Never coded on my vehicles, so i could not say. I do not even really get the aesthetics.
Appreciate 0