BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Close
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF87M2 View Post
My issue my be quite rare but I haven't come across anyone with the same problem I am facing. My e92 M3 is coded to have the mirrors fold/unfold upon locking and unlocking and sometimes if I press unlock/lock simultaneously many times it seems like the folding mirror motor will overheat and stop working for a while, even pressing on the folding switch on the door panel won't do anything. I have to start and then turn off the car every time for the mirrors to fold again. I recoded this feature many times but this problem will eventually come back up. Could this problem be as simple as the motor in the mirror overheating?
It may be totally unrelated, but how old is your battery? When you start the engine, do the mirrors fold normally, without any hesitation or interruption? If yes, then the mirror motors should be fine. Also, there is a reset function for alignment for the mirrors. Just check under the DYI section for implementation.
      11-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01
Quote:
My issue my be quite rare but I haven't come across anyone with the same problem I am facing. My e92 M3 is coded to have the mirrors fold/unfold upon locking and unlocking and sometimes if I press unlock/lock simultaneously many times it seems like the folding mirror motor will overheat and stop working for a while, even pressing on the folding switch on the door panel won't do anything. I have to start and then turn off the car every time for the mirrors to fold again. I recoded this feature many times but this problem will eventually come back up. Could this problem be as simple as the motor in the mirror overheating?
It may be totally unrelated, but how old is your battery? When you start the engine, do the mirrors fold normally, without any hesitation or interruption? If yes, then the mirror motors should be fine. Also, there is a reset function for alignment for the mirrors. Just check under the DYI section for implementation.
Yes the mirrors do fold manually without hesitation. This is unrelated to the misalignment issue because my mirrors are always correctly aligned. Battery is less then a year old and always on the tender if the car is not driven for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Yes the mirrors do fold manually without hesitation. This is unrelated to the misalignment issue because my mirrors are always correctly aligned. Battery is less then a year old and always on the tender if the car is not driven for a while.
How about the battery on the key fab? Do you have the Convenience Package? Even though you have no misalignment issues, I would still try the alignment procedure as it resets the motors.
      11-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Nickdm3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

i have a similar issue. it seems when you over use the function, it goes into a safe mode lockout. i dont think the motor is over heating. if you wait a few minutes and cycle the car , it resets.
Appreciate 1
AWF87M2826.50
      11-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 e92 AW/FR DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah happened to me. Just don't use it, code it out if it happens on press - on mine it's coded to do it when you hold the button, if so, just don't hold it.

Not only are the motors not designed to be used every time you stop/start the car - but they also fail quite miserably with the alignment. I've been stuck in parking lots trying to manually get the mirror to STICK to the correct place, it doesn't. It goes too far away towards the hood or too close to the side window. Once you do the proper alignment procedure, just don't tuch them anymore.

The passenger side one completely stopped folding up as well so, not really thrilled with it. It's a pretty common issue though.
Appreciate 0