BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #1
8400Euphoria
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

In New York.... Buy from Cali

Hello folks

So I finally find the color scheme I've been looking for. I'm in New York and the car is in Cali. I'm thinking if it's worth buying a car out of state without looking at it in person.... It's a 2013 m3 coupe cpo. I was thinking of taking a flight to Cali and driving it back to New York or just shipping it. I've never shipped car before. Is it safe or is it prone to dents, rock ships suspension damage etc? Or maybe I need to use closed transport? How would it work with taxes ? Do I have to pay California tax and New York or just California? I've been waiting over three months for this color scheme which I only came across this one but 3,000 miles from me. I don't know if I should go for it or just keep waiting for another one to come closer to my area which is a risk and did I mention the dealer is charging around 2k more for it? I really don't know what to do. What if the car has an issue I heard no dealer will treat you as good as the selling dealer but in my case is 3,000 miles away. Can anyone shed their opinions and advice?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

1. I would definitely take a flight one weekend and check out the car rather than risking buying without any personal inspection
2. You would have to pay NY tax since you are a NY resident
3. I'm sure there's bunch of closed shipping companies for good prices. This is very common transport (shipping across West-East), so it should be safe + affordable.
      11-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
/Rock//It///M
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

I have done this twice in the last 5 years.
My collector car was a perfect deal, not a complain in the world.
Earlier this year. I bought my 11 E90 Lemans 1 owner from cali. Not so good of an expericene, wish I had flown out to see the car in person would have never paid the price I did for it.
The Dealer and the sales staff were the worst. The car was disgusting when I got it, they used an enclosed trailer, but the engine bay was filty. The seats were disgusting and scrathes all over the car.
I didnt expect a flawless car. But at least put a quick 150 detail on the car to present it properly.
Dont trust the dealer. Take an off peak flight and see the car and negotate the shipping, i used DAS. With great results before. Reliable is also highly recommended.
      11-15-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

I was in a similar boat as you for my car was down in Houston. Not only did I get a PPI but it was worth it for me to take a flight there and drive back and get acquainted with the car. Was well worth it but my drive was only 1700 miles compared to your 3k.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

I've bought 2 BMW's from out of state in the past 2 years - if your particular about color/options/etc., it's oftentimes the only way to do it. I bought both of mine without seeing them in person, and had them shipped open transport.

Since this car is CPO I think your pretty safe. A CPO'd car must pass a number of mechanical/condition tests before BMW will certify it.

From my experience, my X5 was CPO'd and arrived in great shape (mechanically/condition), just as I expected. My M3 was not CPO'd and arrived in less than great shape. I'd likely still have bought it had I seen it in person, but the condition was a bit disappointing. I had to work hard/spent $ to get it to my standards.

Still, I'd buy out of state again no question. You can certainly pay more for closed transport, that might be worth it. My M3 had something splattered all over it that was a PITA to remove, I'm pretty sure it was from the ride out west and not on the car prior.

You'd pay NY taxes on the car only, that's where the car will be licensed.

What's the color combo? Or is it secret for now
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #6
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

you'll get more rock chips driving it than on an open trailer. like way more
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
CPO means nothing. I bought my car out of state and the dealer agreed to split the cost of the CPO so I paid extra and extra 2K to have it CPO'ed.
I don't think they checked anything they said they did on the CPO check list that I got with the car. They missed a few things that CPO should have caught. They replaced the front tires. The rear tires should have been replaced but they claimed they met the CPO requirements. I measured them and found that they were not to spec but it was too late at that point.

A buddy of mine happened to be on vacation and only 10 minutes from the dealer that was selling the car so I had him go check it out for me and drive it.

My advise it to go and see it for yourself before pulling the trigger. If you can't do that, then at minimum ask them to send you pictures.

If the car is already CPO'ed they should have a checklist of what was checked and/or replaced. Ask to see that.

If you have it shipped, have it shipped enclosed.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW View Post
CPO means nothing. I bought my car out of state and the dealer agreed to split the cost of the CPO so I paid extra and extra 2K to have it CPO'ed.
I don't think they checked anything they said they did on the CPO check list that I got with the car. They missed a few things that CPO should have caught. They replaced the front tires. The rear tires should have been replaced but they claimed they met the CPO requirements. I measured them and found that they were not to spec but it was too late at that point.

A buddy of mine happened to be on vacation and only 10 minutes from the dealer that was selling the car so I had him go check it out for me and drive it.

My advise it to go and see it for yourself before pulling the trigger. If you can't do that, then at minimum ask them to send you pictures.

If the car is already CPO'ed they should have a checklist of what was checked and/or replaced. Ask to see that.

That sounds more like a specific dealer issue to me...that being the dealer selling that car. My CPO'd X5 came with new tires on all 4 corners, and my non-CPO'd M3 even came with new tires at all 4 corners. If the dealer is cutting corners on tires of all things, that's pretty weak.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, but in general CPO'd vehicle's should almost always be a safe bet.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
That sounds more like a specific dealer issue to me...that being the dealer selling that car. My CPO'd X5 came with new tires on all 4 corners, and my non-CPO'd M3 even came with new tires at all 4 corners. If the dealer is cutting corners on tires of all things, that's pretty weak.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, but in general CPO'd vehicle's should almost always be a safe bet.
I agree but my point is, when you buy a car site unseen, in this case out of state, once you take ownership of the car you will be out of luck on any issue that was missed under CPO. So in my case with the tires, my local dealer didnt want anything to do with the issue. They were basically like, "we are not paying for 2 new tires"...
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Never buy a pre-owned BMW no matter where it's located without having a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) done on at an independent BMW shop. Money well spent and most only charge $100-$150. If the seller won't agree to this you have your answer. Fly and drives are common and sellers are willing to pick you up at the airport. Then enjoy driving your new car home in the spring, summer and early fall. Winter is a different story. You don't want to subject your new car to road salt.

This late in the year where snow is expected it is imperative that if shipping to use an enclosed transporter to avoid calcium chloride exposure.
Appreciate 1
M43S7RO503.00
      11-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #11
Manda Mew
Dog Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT M3

Wouldn't a car from CA also be more desirable bc it has never been in snow or seen salt on the roads or been in extreme heat (depending on where in CA)? Could be another plus..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Marza View Post
Wouldn't a car from CA also be more desirable bc it has never been in snow or seen salt on the roads or been in extreme heat (depending on where in CA)? Could be another plus..
Yes, I thought about that too, but if you live in NY and are bringing it back there, will it matter? Now, the other way around...you live in CA and are looking at a NY car? No thanks.

I had a PPI done on an X5 here in Seattle that came from NJ and the entire underside was corroded. I personally wouldn't buy a car from the NE after that experience. Not saying they're all that way. Finally found my X5 in CA and no issues with that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #13
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

Quote:
I agree but my point is, when you buy a car site unseen, in this case out of state, once you take ownership of the car you will be out of luck on any issue that was missed under CPO. So in my case with the tires, my local dealer didnt want anything to do with the issue. They were basically like, "we are not paying for 2 new tires"...
I will say that the TX dealership I bought from seemed to care. They followed up after the car was delivered, and I mentioned that the tires didn't match and I was buying new tires. They cut a check to split the cost with me that day without me even asking.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #14
monterey
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

I didn't know you can retroactive make a cpo car. The dealer told me in order for a car to be a cpo that meant every service was done at the dealer, not by an independant.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #15
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

I just leased a car from Iowa and I'm in CA. Shipped open transport, no issues and it arrived 2 days early. It was $1,000 from Iowa to CA. I presume you pay around $1,500 open from CA to NY, more if it is closed, but i don't think closed is necessary.

I think your experience will depend on the dealership. Read reviews. If they seem reputable, then you'll probably be OK. The dealer in Iowa was great. Followed up, emailed, called. Helped me with a little registration snafu and even tossed in a shirt for the wife and sent us cookies.

I would definitely get a PPI if it is used or have someone out here at least eyeball it for you.
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0