BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-20-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Hey so I have less then a years experience driving a stick shift could you guys help me out so I've gotten every gear down except 1st and 2nd. Like downshifting wise and rev matching but for some reason I'm afraid to downshift into second how do you guys let out the clutch quickly or do you hold it in for longer I seem to always not give enough gas or to much when trying to rev match into second from 3rd also I'm assuming downshift rev matching from second to 1st is completely useless so I really don't care about trying to do that but I definitely want to get better at downshifting into second. Do you guys have any tips?

2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
It takes more throttle than you think it will. Gotta hit the throttle hard and time it perfect. Unless you are track driving, it's pointless tbh.
      11-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

As the other poster said, there's no reason to do it unless you are trying not to upset the car on the track. It's not easy. All modern cars have synchronized gearboxes so there's really not much benefit to doing it.

There are a lot of YouTube videos that detail it if you decide you have to learn it. Maybe find an empty parking lot and drill it into your head? It'll take a long time until it becomes second nature.
      11-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
yahoo_mks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///Madd View Post
It takes more throttle than you think it will. Gotta hit the throttle hard and time it perfect. Unless you are track driving, it's pointless tbh.
+1 - if you can do 6-5, 5-4 and 4-3 downshifts already, consider each throttle blipmis harder the lower gear match. 3-2 is definitely the hardest and requires a big blip to hit it right.

I borrowed a technique from this site to blip the throttle while depressing the clutch rather than trying to time it perfectly while releasing the clutch.

May only be a track maneuver but I think it's worthwhile to learn for every day driving because:

1) it sounds great

2) feels good when you get it right...

Good luck -
Appreciate 1
M3Dimi177.50
      11-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

You are not alone. I still can't get the 3-2 rev match downshift perfectly especially when I'm heel toeing. I find that it's easier to accomplish with the Power button "On" but usually find myself giving too little throttle and sometimes even too much. Very hard to get it right so I don't do it unless I'm driving spiritedly. But keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I can rev match in my DCT perfectly every shift.

DCT > 6MT.

Sorry, had to.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #7
M3Dimi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 4.6L M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
I can rev match in my DCT perfectly every shift.

DCT > 6MT.

Sorry, had to.
I don't have a problem with dct I just always thought it was cooler to drive a stick lol that's why I got one and learned I always wanted to know how plus in the US it's rare so yea lol the dct cars were going for a lot less when I was looking to buy also idk why lol like a couple grand same condition.

2008 E92 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

6MT fellow drivers, I am surprised a lot of you are struggling with this. I have to disagree with posts above. This is easy as pie if you learned it the right way. If you cannot do this 100% of times at any speed in any condition on any road I can tell you you have the wrong approach. I heel and toe / rev match 100%, there is no such thing as "getting it right sometimes" (that includes 9 times out of 10). You either can do it all the time or you are not doing it right.

I'm going to try to help those who want to learn. First of all throw the "timing it" idea out of your head, that's what's been stopping you from learning it right. Once you do things in the right order, it will automatically work every time and your blips will be exactly what they need to, without revving it more than needed.

Ironically it is much easier to downshift rev match if you heel and toe. If you're only trying to rev mach with clutch and throttle pedals you are delaying braking after shifting, or braking too much before downshifting either way this isn't good. I'll go as far as saying if you don't know heel and toe there is not much point to rev match. But once you master those two techniques, boy, you won't do it any other way.

First thing you need to understand, at each car speed and for each gear there is a unique engine RPM where both the flywheel and the gear you want have the same rotation speed. Let's call it RPM_opt. The most efficient way to shift at RPM_opt is to blip above and catch it on the engine way down.

1) Moment before downshifting, position left foot on the clutch pedal and right foot on the brake pedal but extending enough to the right to be able to catch the throttle pedal with the side of your foot. Position your right hand on the stick.

2) Start to brake the car with the toe of your right foot using a slight twisting of your foot inward to be able to blip the throttle (not yet).

3) while continuing to brake floor the clutch pedal, as soon as you have floored the clutch pedal without delay twist your right foot edge to tap the throttle to blip the engine while pulling the 3rd gear out with your hand using only light force and positioning the stick at the entry of 2nd gear using only light force.

When first learning to heel toe blip the throttle remember that it is more important to blip it long enough moderately than to press it far down too briefly (we are talking fraction of a second once you know how to do it).

4) as the RPM blip falls back down maintain a light pressure with your right stick hand at the entry of the 2nd gear. Once the RPM falls down to RPM_opt the gear will slide in easily WITHOUT any force.

5) immediately release clutch and depending on the situation either apply more braking or enter a turn or accelerate if this was for overtaking after being forced to slow down behind another car.

Practicing right foot heel toe : with car parked learn to push the brake pedal and blip the throttle while watching RPM needle. Learn to adjust your blip to get the amount of blip you want. Next time you brake to a stop try it again without shifting, just to get used to using 3 pedals at the same time.

Last edited by Rajmun340; 11-21-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
GabeS1180.00
      11-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Throttle blip/downshift with the M button on is a lot easier. It's easy to rev match but I find it hard to rev match while the rev's are going up than dropping.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
MMM3PWR
E90 6MT MASTER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII
6MT fellow drivers, I am surprised a lot of you are struggling with this. I have to disagree with posts above. This is easy as pie if you learned it the right way. If you cannot do this 100% of times at any speed in any condition on any road I can tell you you have the wrong approach. I heel and toe / rev match 100%, there is no such thing as "getting it right sometimes" (that includes 9 times out of 10). You either can do it all the time or you are not doing it right.

I'm going to try to help those who want to learn. First of all throw the "timing it" idea out of your head, that's what's been stopping you from learning it right. Once you do things in the right order, it will automatically work every time and your blips will be exactly what they need to, without revving it more than needed.

Ironically it is much easier to downshift rev match if you heel and toe. If you're only trying to rev mach with clutch and throttle pedals you are delaying braking after shifting, or braking too much before downshifting either way this isn't good. I'll go as far as saying if you don't know heel and toe there is not much point to rev match. But once you master those two techniques, boy, you won't do it any other way.

First thing you need to understand, at each car speed and for each gear there is a unique engine RPM where both the flywheel and the gear you want have the same rotation speed. Let's call it RPM_opt. The most efficient way to shift at RPM_opt is to blip above and catch it on the engine way down.

1) Moment before downshifting, position left foot on the clutch pedal and right foot on the brake pedal but extending enough to the right to be able to catch the throttle pedal with the side of your foot. Position your right hand on the stick.

2) Start to brake the car with the toe of your right foot using a slight twisting your foot inward to be able to blip the throttle (not yet).

3) while continuing to brake floor the clutch pedal, as soon as you have floored the clutch pedal without delay twist your right foot edge to tap the throttle to blip the engine while pulling the 3rd gear out with your hand using only light force and positioning the stick at the entry of 2nd gear using only light force.

When first learning to heel toe blip the throttle remember that it is more important to blip it long enough than to press it far down (we are talking fraction of a second once you know how to do it).

4) as the RPM blip falls back down maintain a light pressure with your right stick hand at the entry of the 2nd gear. Once the RPM falls down to RPM_opt the gear will slide in easily WITHOUT any force.

5) immediately release clutch and either continue braking if needed or get ready to accelerate.

Practicing right foot heel toe : with car parked learn to push the brake pedal and blip the throttle while watching RPM needle. Learn to adjust your blip to get the amount of blip you want. Next time you brake to a stop try it again without shifting, just to get used to using 3 pedals at the same time.
what he said ^^^^^. I have 143k miles on my original clutch and I always downshift into hard corners and blip throttle as well as use the clutch and brake to decelerate after i shift into gear .
      11-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Rajmun340
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP factory order

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Throttle blip/downshift with the M button on is a lot easier. It's easy to rev match but I find it hard to rev match while the rev's are going up than dropping.
M button only changes throttle gain.
First learn to downshift rev match sucessfully 100% of times with the rev dropping after the blip. Only then you can try doing it on the rev way up otherwise it is like trying to run when you haven't learned to walk yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Good stuff Joe! I'm still learning to get the 3-2 right.

Totally agree that it is not really rev matching. It is more like over blipping and catching the rev on the way down. I like your suggestion on #4 to find or feel the RPM_opt and will try that. Right now I just put it into 2nd while clutch is in and then focus on catching the revs myself.

Rev matching on the way up is less important, I think, in most braking scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
M3///Driver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 Track Car

Find a interstate cloverleaf to practice on.

4 Real world opportunities each lap

Early early morning with NO TRAFFIC
      11-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #14
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM3SSII View Post
M button only changes throttle gain.
First learn to downshift rev match sucessfully 100% of times with the rev dropping after the blip. Only then you can try doing it on the rev way up otherwise it is like trying to run when you haven't learned to walk yet.
I've owned countless manuals. I'm still trying to adjust to the M from my previous car which had stage 2 clutch. Can 10/10 nail it from when revs fall but I'm only successful 2/10 when revs are climbing.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat3d ///M View Post
My car's computer can rev match in my DCT perfectly every shift.

DCT > 6MT.

Sorry, had to.
FTFY.

6MT > DCT.

Sorry, had to.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0