BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Johto
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

M3 from the Nordics

Hi to all!

I though that i would share some story and experiences as a relatively new E92 M3 owner. I have been reading the forum quite long but haven't posted that much.

My BMW history started with E46 M3 in 2009 with this Pheonix Yellow M3. Had it for few years and absolutely loved it! Bought it as a stock and did few mods. For example coilovers and VMR wheels.

After E46 i wanted something new so i a went the quite usual route and switched to E92 335i. IMO my E92 335i was the perfect spec: Alpine white, M Sport, black leather interior, manual. 335i was also a great car but something was missing compared to E46 M3 and the 335i felt too much as a regular 300-series.

The E92 M3 had been of course in my mind for long time even back in the days when had the E46 but E92's were still too expensive at that time. So few years passed by and prices dropped to suitable level and it came possible for me to get myself a M3 again!

E92 M3 are still relatively expensive cars here in Finland. A good well kept 2008 M3 costs about 45000-50000$ in here. Because Finlands market for used M3's is really small (for example about 15 used E9X M3's in market at the moment) i went and imported the M3 from Germany where there are a lot more used M3's to choose from. E46 and 335i where also imported from Germany.

But finding a good and well kept M3 even from Germany proved to be more difficult job than one thought beforehand. It took me and my importer about 4 months to find a perfect car but i think it was worth waiting for Bought the car last June.

Specs:
Model year 2008
~60k miles

Alpine White, Fox Red interior, CF roof

DCT, M Drive, EDC, PDC, Adaptive Headlights, Individual Audio, BT, USB, Prof. Navi etc.

Mods so far: BMW Performance Exhaust, black kidney grills

With 60k on the clock the first "mod" was the rod bearings as a precaution. I drove only about few weeks when i got the car then immediately did the bearings change. During the bearings change a DCT oil pan gasket leak was found and that had to be also fixed. So the car had also a new DCT oil pan, filter and oils. So that was a fast 2500 euros (roughly the same in $)

M3 is my second car. I have a another car as a family car. But i have also a child seat in the M and in the summer my daughter gets every morning to the kindergarten on it At the moment M is hibernating in my garage because in Finland we have this thing called Winter And as i don't have the real daily need for a second car i though it's best to let the M be in the garage over the Winter.

The E92 M3 filled my all expectations and i am really loving it! I am really liking the color combo Alpine White exterior and Fox Red interior and the DCT is brilliant.

Few pics:

Next plans and mods include lowering and new tyres. Optimal drop that i want would be something like i had in the E46 with H&R coils. Can i get that kind of drop with the KW sleeve kit (i think not?) or are coils the only chance to get that low? With KW sleeve kit i could maintain the EDC functionality. If the choice would be coils, do you have recommendations for coils? KW? KW V3 or would V1 be sufficient? Is there max drop differences between different coilover sets (manufacturers)?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
rdoctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GT3

Garage List
2009 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
That's a beauty! Congrats! One of my favorite color combos. Out of curiosity...did you happen to see or photograph the condition of the old rod bearings?

SOLD: e92 M3 6MT, Jet Black/Black
Dinan: Software Tune | CF Intake | Exhaust | Pulley Kit | Stage 1 Suspension | Pedals /// BBS e88 18x9.5 et19; 18x10.5 et19 on PS4 265/285 /// Lux Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Johto
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoctor View Post
That's a beauty! Congrats! One of my favorite color combos. Out of curiosity...did you happen to see or photograph the condition of the old rod bearings?
Thanks!

I have the old bearings in my garage. This is how they looked after 60k miles:
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Nice weather in Finland today eh! And congrats on a gorgeous AW that looks immaculate!!! Did you DIY on the RB change? What other under the hood components did you replace while you're under there?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 04:42 AM   #5
Johto
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Nice weather in Finland today eh! And congrats on a gorgeous AW that looks immaculate!!! Did you DIY on the RB change? What other under the hood components did you replace while you're under there?
Thanks!

I didn't do the rb change myself so i am not sure what parts where changed. But i think that only bearings and new bolts and oil of course.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Terve - välkommen ombord granne!

Car looks absolutely stunning, specially for a 2008/60k miles. Even driving seat still in mint, and Invidual HiFi on top doesn't make it any worse man...😊.

M3s are pretty costly also over in Sweden so yes I can understand they are crazy in Finland with the good old car tax.

Bearings seems reasonable ok except for one down to the copper? Still, shouldn't look that way after only 60k but is what it is.

Located in Sthlm myself, you?

Kiitos
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #7
Johto
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Terve - välkommen ombord granne!

Car looks absolutely stunning, specially for a 2008/60k miles. Even driving seat still in mint, and Invidual HiFi on top doesn't make it any worse man...😊.

M3s are pretty costly also over in Sweden so yes I can understand they are crazy in Finland with the good old car tax.

Bearings seems reasonable ok except for one down to the copper? Still, shouldn't look that way after only 60k but is what it is.

Located in Sthlm myself, you?

Kiitos
Tjenare Mannen! Tack så mycket

Yeah, the interior and exterior looks like if the car would have only 20K miles. The driven milage doesn't always tell the whole story it's the way it has been used and kept for those miles.

Finlands taxes are nuts. This kind of M3 costs the same ~30-35k€ in Germany as in Sweden and when you import it to Finland you have to pay ~10-15k€ taxes in top of that. It would be only fair that if the taxes are once paid from a car inside EU country that you didn't have to pay the taxes second time inside EU as it goes in every other goods.

Actually copper was visible only as a minor scratches in some of the bearings but the coating was worn quite badly in all of them.

I am located in Hämeenlinna. I have visited Sthml several times as i had relatives near Sthlm in the past.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johto View Post
Tjenare Mannen! Tack så mycket

Yeah, the interior and exterior looks like if the car would have only 20K miles. The driven milage doesn't always tell the whole story it's the way it has been used and kept for those miles.

Finlands taxes are nuts. This kind of M3 costs the same ~30-35k€ in Germany as in Sweden and when you import it to Finland you have to pay ~10-15k€ taxes in top of that. It would be only fair that if the taxes are once paid from a car inside EU country that you didn't have to pay the taxes second time inside EU as it goes in every other goods.

Actually copper was visible only as a minor scratches in some of the bearings but the coating was worn quite badly in all of them.

I am located in Hämeenlinna. I have visited Sthml several times as i had relatives near Sthlm in the past.
Very true mate, it is very much up to the way the car is maintained and looked after. In your case, clearly very well!

Not in Finland very often these days (guess sailing to Åland doesnt count!). Should you pass Sthlm, make sure you give us a shout!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

So jealous of the european seats