ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8 Auto....

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
need your help with a..on line z predator

I placed an on line order, actually for my Z's acrylic windscreen or from drugstore.com and my credit card got stolen, as well as my home phone and address. I'm getting so many calls a night that I turned off my phone. I've received packages charged to me, they have signed me up on an on line data base and these calls reference that i've filled out something on line.

I've talked to the police and was told to fill out an FTC report, which I did, of course i killed the credit card and have the charges being reversed. Put a fraud alert on my credit and signed up for opt out with them as well. I DID have an unlisted number. I'm truly thinking the only way out is to change my home phone......it used to be only family and friends that called, but now its everyone selling ANYTHING.

It sure feels like this person is being vindictive. I've managed to get his ip address and an email address. What do I do with these bits of info? What else can i do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rosie

Last edited by rosierobins2003; 04-16-2008 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

That's nucking futs. Not sure what else you can do after the fact.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Holy _____!!!!!!!!!!

Did you call visa, mc, amex, etc and tell them that you didn't order that stuff and would like the funds back?
Hope everything ends up ok.
      04-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
oh man, that really sucks. If you have their IP address the police should be able to go to their service provider, get their details and go arrest them.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:19 AM   #5
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
I'm assuming you chose to shop @ drugstore.com because they had the lowest price on the windscreen. A lesson to be learned is to buy on line ONLY from a reputable seller and to use Paypal whenever possible.

I agree with 155mph. Get back to the police and give them the IP address, etc.

BTW, are you SURE it was drugstore.com?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
erdoran
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4si

Drugstore.com is very reputable and has been around a long time. I've bought from them personally and never had a problem...but of course every business has employees and it only takes one bad apple. there are also various pieces of spyware that can be sneakily installed on your computer that can steal that info. If you aren't running software like McAfee or Norton/symantec antivirus/spyware, you need to install it IMMEDIATELY and do a full scan of your computer.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
dngrCharlie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Silver Grey

I'm confused. How do you connect the purchase at drugstore.com with the identity theft? Also, how did you get an IP address and e-mail from the thief and how do you know those belong to the thief?

I'm asking because I'm curious how you got this info! I'd really like to know in case it happens to me as I shop at drugstore.com occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post
Drugstore.com is very reputable and has been around a long time. I've bought from them personally and never had a problem...but of course every business has employees and it only takes one bad apple. there are also various pieces of spyware that can be sneakily installed on your computer that can steal that info. If you aren't running software like McAfee or Norton/symantec antivirus/spyware, you need to install it IMMEDIATELY and do a full scan of your computer.
EXCELLENT point! There are an incredible number of computers running spyware and it is often easy to become infected. I run Norton and I THINK I'm OK.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
You sure it wasn't the pool boy?

If you have an ip address it is really easy to do a lookup of who pays for the service and what address the service is to. Just hope they have a password protected wifi or none at all because otherwise you are SOL.

How did you get the ip address? The only way I can think that would be lament enough for the average computer user (no offense) would be to email or call one of the people you are getting the offers from and say you need the ip address that signed you up as evidence in a fraud case (they never want to get police or FBI involved if they are spamming and most systems keep track of stuff like that).

Good luck, at least at this point it is only phone calls They do have privacy screening services, my friend has it. If you call you get a message and they say you have to press *50 if you are not selling or telemarketing anything. If they press it and try to sell you something anyway they get reported to the FBI by your phone company
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
oh man, that really sucks. If you have their IP address the police should be able to go to their service provider, get their details and go arrest them.
so far the police aren't interested in helping, only giving advice, but I tracked down the ip address to an sbc global account and called them, but they weren't interested in policing the airwaves, saying they'd have to police phone calls then. So.......this is quite interesting. i do have another call into the police department now that I have an ip and sp and locale. We'll see if there is anything they can do now.

Pool boy ain't that sharp. LOL!!!

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrCharlie View Post
I'm confused. How do you connect the purchase at drugstore.com with the identity theft? Also, how did you get an IP address and e-mail from the thief and how do you know those belong to the thief?

I'm asking because I'm curious how you got this info! I'd really like to know in case it happens to me as I shop at drugstore.com occasionally.

One of the many phone calls I received got me to finally get where they got my info from, thus the ip address. I am learning how things work along the way too.

Word of caution, don't leave your information posted on the sites you buy from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You sure it wasn't the pool boy?

If you have an ip address it is really easy to do a lookup of who pays for the service and what address the service is to. Just hope they have a password protected wifi or none at all because otherwise you are SOL.

How did you get the ip address? The only way I can think that would be lament enough for the average computer user (no offense) would be to email or call one of the people you are getting the offers from and say you need the ip address that signed you up as evidence in a fraud case (they never want to get police or FBI involved if they are spamming and most systems keep track of stuff like that).

Good luck, at least at this point it is only phone calls They do have privacy screening services, my friend has it. If you call you get a message and they say you have to press *50 if you are not selling or telemarketing anything. If they press it and try to sell you something anyway they get reported to the FBI by your phone company
Privacy screening is good, but I only pay $10 as i have the phone only to get dsl, so it would more than double my phone bill. And probably complicate things so that I'd never hear from my friends on my home phone again. surely my mom would never figure it out...lol!!!

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
bobver
Freedom Isn't Free
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I had a cc number stolen over the holidays. Reccommend you also run a credit report to confirm there isn't anything else amiss.
      04-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
erdoran
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierobins2003 View Post
so far the police aren't interested in helping, only giving advice, but I tracked down the ip address to an sbc global account and called them, but they weren't interested in policing the airwaves, saying they'd have to police phone calls then. So.......this is quite interesting. i do have another call into the police department now that I have an ip and sp and locale. We'll see if there is anything they can do now.

Rosie
Rosie, that's a violation of the TOS (terms of service) of their ISP--call global back and tell them you want to report a violation of the TOS. You could even go on their website first, read their TOS, and quote them chapter & verse of what was violated. But...I wonder if there aren't a couple of things going on here? I wonder if drugstore.com sold your address info, which is tacky but probably legit AND SEPARATELY your credit card # got stolen?

You should also CALL drugstore.com and let them know what is going on. if they did sell your contact info, tell them to STOP IMMEDIATELY and they will. But honestly, I've shopped there and haven't had any problem like this--of course I am on every do not call list that exists too. And if your credit card info was stolen from their site you better believe they want to know. Check their online info--a lot of places indemnify you if your info is stolen from their site, and this may be one of them.

So you have two concrete action steps you can take, if you haven't already!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
mazzawi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: before 05 Z4 2.5 now 08 MRdstr

Garage List
2005 Z4  [5.00]
what you should do is take your Z for a nice long drive with the top down and forget about your problems after the first few KM.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzawi View Post
what you should do is take your Z for a nice long drive with the top down and forget about your problems after the first few KM.
That is probably what I would do (without the top down of course).

The ISP should definitely help you. The police should as well, I know here we have an internet crime division that would love to hear about something like this. Ask if your station has one as well.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #16
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdoran View Post
Rosie, that's a violation of the TOS (terms of service) of their ISP--call global back and tell them you want to report a violation of the TOS. You could even go on their website first, read their TOS, and quote them chapter & verse of what was violated. But...I wonder if there aren't a couple of things going on here? I wonder if drugstore.com sold your address info, which is tacky but probably legit AND SEPARATELY your credit card # got stolen?

You should also CALL drugstore.com and let them know what is going on. if they did sell your contact info, tell them to STOP IMMEDIATELY and they will. But honestly, I've shopped there and haven't had any problem like this--of course I am on every do not call list that exists too. And if your credit card info was stolen from their site you better believe they want to know. Check their online info--a lot of places indemnify you if your info is stolen from their site, and this may be one of them.

So you have two concrete action steps you can take, if you haven't already!
I have tried SBC global and got no where. I called Drugstore.com because I have used their services for a few years now and never had an issue. The only other place was where I ordered my acrylic windscreen from...i'm afraid to say the name here. At Drugstore they were very nice, and said they would look into it, but that it wasn't something that had happened before. And honestly, it was too closely tied to the card being stolen, so it has to be linked....and they have all my info which was on the drugstore.com site.....as part of my account. Now its been removed...by me.

thanks for your help. I'll follow up with the police again to see if they are interested and possibly check out sbc again...though that was frustrating.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
erdoran
Private
Rep

Rosie, use the phrase "I want to report a violation of your TERMS OF SERVICE". You are dealing with probably poorly paid customer service people--you need to get their attention. This ought to.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #18
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Thanks for all your help, I made progress today, and will work more on it tomorrow.....i appreciate you guys a ton.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #19
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosierobins2003 View Post

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
well, its the truth.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
rosierobins2003
Rosie.....
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
just spoke to the police department, and found that i would have to file in the jurisdiction of the ip address, and they are in Texas and more than likely don't have resources for this kind of stuff, since personal injury etc would take priority.

Just spoke with SBC and after 2 phone calls today and an email chat , they sent me on line to fill out an internet fraud form.

I think I have dead ended this thing. I may set the call screening on my home phone or change the number all together.

That's it for now....have a great weekend.

Rosie
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #22
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Rosie

Go to EVERY forum you know and post the asshole's IP address there (an all the other info you have). Tell them what he/she did to you and then let's see what the vigilantes will do to get justice.
Appreciate 0