BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
javaperson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

Loose wheel locks from dealer

This past weekend, I had the spacers from r33_RGSport installed on my rear wheels. When the shop went to remove the bolts and wheel locks (which came with the X5 when I got it from the dealer), they found the wheel locks were not very tight at all. Fortunately, the four bolts were tight on all the wheels.

There's probably some factor of safety built into tightening of the wheel bolts, but it was worrisome that I was basically driving with only 4 tight bolts.

If your X5 came with wheel locks from the dealer, you may want to check them...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
All of my wheel lugs required very heavy weight on a breaker bar to loosen up from improper use of a impact wrench. If the "lock" lug is loose, it's possible it's just actually torqued correctly. 140 Nm which is the required torque would seem loose if the shop you go to uses an impact wrench instead of a torque wrench to install their lug nuts.
      02-28-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
javaperson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5

Thanks, that's what i thought as well, but the shop uses a torque wrench to tighten and are very careful, so I may trust their assessment on the loose lock bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
All of my wheel lugs required very heavy weight on a breaker bar to loosen up from improper use of a impact wrench. If the "lock" lug is loose, it's possible it's just actually torqued correctly. 140 Nm which is the required torque would seem loose if the shop you go to uses an impact wrench instead of a torque wrench to install their lug nuts.
Appreciate 0