BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 6mt CP

F16 2017 X6 xDrive50i 5000 mile review

To all,

This is my first BMW, I drove pickup trucks (Sierra Denali, F150 Platinum) for the last twenty years. I made the decision to drive something different, so I bought an X6.

Details,
17XM X6 xDrive50i
Carbon Black Metallic
Canberra Beige / Black Dakota
Cold weather package
Driver Asssitance
Executive Package
M Sport
Total Dynamic Handling
20" 469 wheels with summer tires, staggered setup
20" 469 wheels with Perelli Ice and Snows, staggerd setup
All the other small standard stuff

Current mileage 5100
Current overall MPG 15.2

Issues that would require service in the first 5000, None.

Issues that are annoying, two.
The color of my seats and the blue jeans I wear don't like each other. Cleaning the blue dye off the seats is a weekly chore.

I puchased some WeatherTech mats, the velcro hold down tabs that insert into the floor removed very hard and the Weathertech hold downs went in even harder and one of them didn't lock in. The drive side mat which is the most important, didn't fit at all around the accelerator, if you want a set I will be selling them very soon, cheap!
I bought the BMW "M Performance Floor Mats" very nice, putting the factory velro floor tabs back in was also very hard and a couple didn't lock in. minor issue.

Driving
In my younger years I had a GSXR 750, I loved that motorcycle, I rode that thing hard. I get the same smile while I'm driving the X6 hard. I know the TDH package is the key. The X just stays flat and planted. I love roundabouts, I did get the X to slide once when I really took a roundabout hard, i just stayed in the accelerator and it cornered through. I plan on going to both of the "Track Days" at Road America this year. Then I will let the X really go.

Acceleration
Great pull, put it in manual and keep the engine in the 3000 - 5000 rpms and that thing will respond right now. I'm still on winter tires so no real high speeds, I took it to 120 once, it had alot of throttle left.

Steering
I like the feel of the steering in both comfort and sport

Braking
Great brakes, I haven't had the chance to brake down hard from high speeds, but normal hard braking is good.

Interior
I have ventilated seats, some like the look, some don't. I personally like them. I haven't had to use them for the pupose of cooling, that will be on the 10,000 mile review.
The leather dash is relly nice, get it.
The touch screen is very nice.
The controls on the dash are basic and actually quite simple once you get into them.
I really like the hard drive for all of my music, downloading into the hard drive and managing it is easy.
Navigation is simple.
Seats, the multicontour seats are nice, full of adjustment.

Tires
I bought a set of rims and tires just for the winter. 20" staggerd with Perelli Ice and Snow. Aboslutley no problem in any of the snow we recieved. Largest snow fall was 10". We had a very bad ice storm that left the roads literaly covered in a 1/2" of ice for two weeks. I never had a problem, I know how to drive in the winter also.
Do not buy the 19" winter package, you will regret the looks and you don't need it.

Overall
I couldn't have made a better decision, I am extremely happy with the first 5000 miles.

Cautjit
KP
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I like mine well, would like to have a softer suspension setting for cruising days though.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
wolfnards
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92

Nice review, thanks! I was planning to get ventilated seats but read in forums that he seats aren't tied to AC and doesn't blow warm/cold air at all. I tested this in a '16 740i and it definitely did not blow cold air like the Porsche or MB so I decided to forego. Looking forward to your updated when the weather is warm enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

The heat/cool function is more or less useless. My wife's Genesis G80 excels in this area. BMW mostly fails.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I'd like if someone made vacuum seats. Could pass gas and not smell a thing.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
2016sx5
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I have white seats. Just sit on a towel on jean days. Didn't think much
about it.

Grew up with parents having white leather in various Cadillacs. You
just had to clean more and yes put something down at times.
If like white leather its worth the trouble
Appreciate 0