Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

03-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #1
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

NJMP April 2 - introduction to track day

Anyone attending the April 2nd event at NJMP, specifically the introduction to track session? Looking for some feedback on what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
skioutwest
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC, 2017 M3ZCP, 2014 M5

My car will not be broken in in time but I went to this session before and it is great fun. Well worth the money...you get an instructor, about 4 sessions, and some classroom time.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

I'm scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday, but will not be 100% confirmed going until just a few days out.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I'm scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday, but will not be 100% confirmed going until just a few days out.
Hope to run in to you if u do go, I'll be with the beginners group on Sunday in the mineral white M3 looking lost lol
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
M3lbournE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I love njmp, its a great track to learn and theres so many run offs that if you go off track you wont crash, unlike palmer. I'll be going to palmer with scda on april 10th for the first time, gonna take it nice and slow before trying to get some decent lap times
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid3r View Post
Hope to run in to you if u do go, I'll be with the beginners group on Sunday in the mineral white M3 looking lost lol
AWESOME! Most fun you can legally have with your pants on, that's not hyperbole either. My biggest "watch out" for is big - the addiction. Doing this one or two times, the bug gets her claws right into your cerebellum. It's thrilling, exhilirating, and for the most part still fairly safe. Especially if running with the NJBMWCCA group. They have a hyper-focus on safety, which is proper to be frank. If you were doing the two day I'd mention the classroom time is liable to get boring after the first 3 sessions or so, but take one thing new away from each classroom session. They'll build you up progressively, introducing newer/more advanced concepts in each class time. From there, though, it is on you to communicate to your assigned instructor what it is exactly that you'd like to focus/concentrate on in your next driving session. It's easy to say, "I'm just here to have fun and drive fast without getting a ticket", but that's not the right approach. See this as a cheap way to get to learn the closer-to-the-limit handling characteristics of your (super)car. Identify one thing you really want to improve on, and work at that. Whether it be threshold braking, finding "the other" line for your car with confidence, putting power down progressively without lighting the rear up (if no Traction Control), etc.

The day is what you make of it - don't be cocky, and be open minded; you'll have a blast. Look forward to seeing/meeting you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lbournE92 View Post
I love njmp, its a great track to learn and theres so many run offs that if you go off track you wont crash, unlike palmer. I'll be going to palmer with scda on april 10th for the first time, gonna take it nice and slow before trying to get some decent lap times
Super jealous - some broken ribs have me avoiding planning/scheduling/paying for any more future track time; BUT, I'm absolutely dying to run Palmer (Insurance mandatory for that circuit, IMHO), and hope that I can get it checked off of my list by seasons end.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
AWESOME! Most fun you can legally have with your pants on, that's not hyperbole either. My biggest "watch out" for is big - the addiction. Doing this one or two times, the bug gets her claws right into your cerebellum. It's thrilling, exhilirating, and for the most part still fairly safe. Especially if running with the NJBMWCCA group. They have a hyper-focus on safety, which is proper to be frank. If you were doing the two day I'd mention the classroom time is liable to get boring after the first 3 sessions or so, but take one thing new away from each classroom session. They'll build you up progressively, introducing newer/more advanced concepts in each class time. From there, though, it is on you to communicate to your assigned instructor what it is exactly that you'd like to focus/concentrate on in your next driving session. It's easy to say, "I'm just here to have fun and drive fast without getting a ticket", but that's not the right approach. See this as a cheap way to get to learn the closer-to-the-limit handling characteristics of your (super)car. Identify one thing you really want to improve on, and work at that. Whether it be threshold braking, finding "the other" line for your car with confidence, putting power down progressively without lighting the rear up (if no Traction Control), etc.

The day is what you make of it - don't be cocky, and be open minded; you'll have a blast. Look forward to seeing/meeting you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3lbournE92 View Post
Super jealous - some broken ribs have me avoiding planning/scheduling/paying for any more future track time; BUT, I'm absolutely dying to run Palmer (Insurance mandatory for that circuit, IMHO), and hope that I can get it checked off of my list by seasons end.
I'm actually hoping I do get addicted so I can utilize this car more and spend money on actual mods and not cosmetics lol ... also I'm going to learn and not really to check the limits of the car just yet ... on the insurance point is it good idea to get for this track I wasn't thinking about it and I wanted to do the 2 day originally but then just thought it might be too advanced
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      03-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Is registration closed? Did not see anything on the NJMP site.
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      03-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
It's still open closes on the 24th, they will wait list you and then enroll you in a day or so

http://bit.ly/2n92kZG
Appreciate 1
clutchdj1878.50
      03-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj
You signing up for this one? If so let me know your travel schedule heading down.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #11
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid3r
Quote:
It's still open closes on the 24th, they will wait list you and then enroll you in a day or so

Should've mentioned this earlier, but if you aren't far from the facility it may not be a bad idea to pass through on the Saturday just to get a look around the facility and a feel for where all of the things happen.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #12
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Should've mentioned this earlier, but if you aren't far from the facility it may not be a bad idea to pass through on the Saturday just to get a look around the facility and a feel for where all of the things happen.
I'm in Central nj so kinda far, was just thinking of driving their the day of, but will decide once I get details on start timing etc
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
dngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '98 M3/4 TiAg, '15 M3 SO

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in Central nj so kinda far, was just thinking of driving their the day of, but will decide once I get details on start timing etc
I would strongly suggest you get a local hotel room and plan on arriving the night before. Things get started very early and it's a long, mentally tiring day. Being fresh in the morning goes a long way. I personally like the Fairfield since I can use my Marriott points. Even better, you can rent a villa at the track for a very reasonable price.
Appreciate 1
Rid3r121.50
      03-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #14
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngo View Post
I would strongly suggest you get a local hotel room and plan on arriving the night before. Things get started very early and it's a long, mentally tiring day. Being fresh in the morning goes a long way. I personally like the Fairfield since I can use my Marriott points. Even better, you can rent a villa at the track for a very reasonable price.
great points here.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
Rid3r121.50
      03-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Anyone attending the April 2nd event at NJMP, specifically the introduction to track session? Looking for some feedback on what to expect.
I've found the site linked below to be a useful primer for first timers. Given, we all are running new(ish) cars, so a lot of the "bring with's" are not necessary for us Re: Maintenance concerns.

Do/Bring these things though:
  • Clean everything loose out of the car that's not needed for your trackday - includes trunk/glovebox/center console
  • Remove driver floormat before tech inspection
  • Have a reputable mechanic/tech check out your car and fill in your tech inspection form - this should be done well before you head to the track, ideally to give you more than enough time to rectify any concerns.
  • NEW brake fluid. This one is important, and not an option. Get this done each season - a full flush, with bleeding prior to any future events. You can run OEM fluids, but if spending the $ to do a full flush, I'd recommend changing the fluid to Motul 600 (OR, if you don't love your hard-earned money, Castrol SRF, which is about $70 a liter).
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Window cleaner
  • Lots of rags/towels/paper towels
  • a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen (Especially on that drivers side arm)
  • Closed toe shoes (thin soles preferred if you can)
  • Helmet (& Balaclava?)
  • I bring a rubbermaid container for tools/supplies and my backpack
  • Extra pair of socks/shoes/pants/shirt (for the drive home if you get nasty)
  • Torque wrench and socket that fits your wheel lugs (You should be able to borrow a TW from someone if needed, but make sure you have your sized socket - and it can get tiring borrowing before each session; if you've got your own that goes up to 105 lb/ft. then bring it)
  • Piece of wood for a wheel chock (I've heard our E-Brake uses a dedicated system so this isn't needed, but I still bring one and use it)
  • A cooler filled with water/gatorade. You wouldn't imagine how much water you'll go through.
  • A chair or something to sit on (Cooler?)
  • Painters Tape (For Car #'s, but I think NJBMWCCA provides stick-ons)
  • Pen/Pencil and Paper (You should take some notes to help yourself just after a session ends and review them before your next one - this will help you remember things that happen very quickly, and/or serve as a reminder of those skills you think you need to focus on.
  • Fully review the guide that NJBMWCCA will send out (maybe available on their website also). Try to get familiar with what all of the flags mean, and understanding proper & safe pit-in and pit-out procedures.
  • The most important thing is saved for last. Check your ego at the door. Not doing that gets expensive rapidly.

Have a blast, can't wait myself!!

https://driver61.com/resources/track-day-guide/

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've found the site linked below to be a useful primer for first timers. Given, we all are running new(ish) cars, so a lot of the "bring with's" are not necessary for us Re: Maintenance concerns.

Do/Bring these things though:
  • Clean everything loose out of the car that's not needed for your trackday - includes trunk/glovebox/center console
  • Remove driver floormat before tech inspection
  • Have a reputable mechanic/tech check out your car and fill in your tech inspection form - this should be done well before you head to the track, ideally to give you more than enough time to rectify any concerns.
  • NEW brake fluid. This one is important, and not an option. Get this done each season - a full flush, with bleeding prior to any future events. You can run OEM fluids, but if spending the $ to do a full flush, I'd recommend changing the fluid to Motul 600 (OR, if you don't love your hard-earned money, Castrol SRF, which is about $70 a liter).
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Window cleaner
  • Lots of rags/towels/paper towels
  • a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen (Especially on that drivers side arm)
  • Closed toe shoes (thin soles preferred if you can)
  • Helmet (& Balaclava?)
  • I bring a rubbermaid container for tools/supplies and my backpack
  • Extra pair of socks/shoes/pants/shirt (for the drive home if you get nasty)
  • Torque wrench and socket that fits your wheel lugs (You should be able to borrow a TW from someone if needed, but make sure you have your sized socket - and it can get tiring borrowing before each session; if you've got your own that goes up to 105 lb/ft. then bring it)
  • Piece of wood for a wheel chock (I've heard our E-Brake uses a dedicated system so this isn't needed, but I still bring one and use it)
  • A cooler filled with water/gatorade. You wouldn't imagine how much water you'll go through.
  • A chair or something to sit on (Cooler?)
  • Painters Tape (For Car #'s, but I think NJBMWCCA provides stick-ons)
  • Pen/Pencil and Paper (You should take some notes to help yourself just after a session ends and review them before your next one - this will help you remember things that happen very quickly, and/or serve as a reminder of those skills you think you need to focus on.
  • Fully review the guide that NJBMWCCA will send out (maybe available on their website also). Try to get familiar with what all of the flags mean, and understanding proper & safe pit-in and pit-out procedures.
  • The most important thing is saved for last. Check your ego at the door. Not doing that gets expensive rapidly.

Have a blast, can't wait myself!!

https://driver61.com/resources/track-day-guide/
That's a great list and almost answers all my questions ... should I bring a spare tire and will their be any place to put it?

Are you going to be able to make it or still TBD?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's a great list and almost answers all my questions ... should I bring a spare tire and will their be any place to put it?

Are you going to be able to make it or still TBD?
What do you mean spare tire? I never have brought a spare, but considered bringing a single front and single rear just in case I needed it to get home. Bringing one would be ripe for Murphy's law to bite you in the ass and cause you to need the one you don't have.

As far as things you'll bring - I neglected to mention you should bring a large tarp for the ground. You'll be parking on a dirt semi-grassy lot and if there is any precipitation, and certainly first thing in morning if there's dew, you're putting your stuff down on the wet ground. I lay out a big tarp, put my crap on top of it, then pull the back half over and tuck it under something heavy inside the tarp.

I'm 80/20 at the moment. Still looks like I can go without issue.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

All points well stated.....welcome to the addiction with no cure unfortunately