BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Betalink Applicator Tool Needed?

So I purchased the Betalink K2 adhesive kit for a DIY CF front splitter install. This kit comes with almost everything you need which includes:

solvent cleaner
cleaning cloth
2-part epoxy
primer
mixing tips
application syringes
sandpaper
applicator spatula
application daubers

What the kit does not include is the applicator gun-type tool used to blend and apply the epoxy. This tool is a little pricey and difficult to find.

Is there a way to mix and apply the 2-part Betalink epoxy without the applicator tool? Would a simple 50/50 squirt-n-mix, then apply with the plastic spatula work? Thanks…
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIn2 View Post
So I purchased the Betalink K2 adhesive kit for a DIY CF front splitter install. This kit comes with almost everything you need which includes:

solvent cleaner
cleaning cloth
2-part epoxy
primer
mixing tips
application syringes
sandpaper
applicator spatula
application daubers

What the kit does not include is the applicator gun-type tool used to blend and apply the epoxy. This tool is a little pricey and difficult to find.

Is there a way to mix and apply the 2-part Betalink epoxy without the applicator tool? Would a simple 50/50 squirt-n-mix, then apply with the plastic spatula work? Thanks…

I also would like to know.. Installing front splitter this weekend. If theres a step by step DIY how to deal with this Betalink, that would be ideal.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
PeanutButterJellyTime
'06 525xi, '14 435xi, '17 X5 50i, '16 428xi GC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi GC

Not sure if you will receive many comments regarding this issue. From what I have noticed most use the 3m tape instead beta link. I remember reading somewhere that BL is a pain to use because it is less forgiving. Others have cited that BL would likely cause damage in the event that you choose to take off the piece.

I have the task of removing the original splitter from BMW in a few well here so i will have to decide between using the 3m or BL at the time. I will also be able to provide insight on how much of a Pita it will be too remove BL.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
sbinshihon
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by taile77 View Post
Not sure if you will receive many comments regarding this issue. From what I have noticed most use the 3m tape instead beta link. I remember reading somewhere that BL is a pain to use because it is less forgiving. Others have cited that BL would likely cause damage in the event that you choose to take off the piece.

I have the task of removing the original splitter from BMW in a few well here so i will have to decide between using the 3m or BL at the time. I will also be able to provide insight on how much of a Pita it will be too remove BL.
I would recommend Beltalink. In bad weather with strong wind the 3M won't hold up, and the splitter will eventually fall off.

In the case you chose to take the piece off you still have a bumper with holes in it, so basically you need take it to a body shop and have it fixed and repainted.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Zucka
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i M Sport MP CF kit

I hope I can help here...
I installed the entire M performance kit my self using Betalink as recommended by BMW, IMHO I believe is just not worth the risk of the 3M tape, and no, I'm not afraid of drilling holes, those pieces will never come off. I'm planning on keeping my X5 for years to come.
I found the same issue you have, the tool is not included in the kit, so this is what I did: on the first Betalink kit (I had to use two for all the pieces) I grabbed a silicone application gun and placed two pieces of pipe on each of the Betalink tubes and attached them to the silicone gun diaphragm, this worked pretty well for me using the mixer probe. On the second kit I pushed out the epoxy using my fingers and mixed them together with a plastic stick (this time I did not use the included mixing probe).
The second option was faster, just make sure to use a thick plastic bag and place it over a cardboard piece and will do the trick. YOU MUST USE LATEX GLOVES ALL THE TIME, THRUST ME. Make sure to mix the Betalink once you are ready to go, it dries fast, you have 5 mins tops before it starts drying.

Last edited by Zucka; 03-17-2017 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Thanks Zucka, great info, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:05 AM   #7
PeanutButterJellyTime
'06 525xi, '14 435xi, '17 X5 50i, '16 428xi GC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 428xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zucka View Post
I hope I can help here...
I installed the entire M performance kit my self using Betalink as recommended by BMW, IMHO I believe is just not worth the risk of the 3M tape.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be referring back to this thread for application of this goo. After reading many forum posts from here and other car forums I am more comfortable in using it. I am also confident of removing the betalink from the old splitter. Let's just hope it all goes well.
Appreciate 0