European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

JB4 vs JB Sage 1 with limited mods

All,
I have been reading hrs and hrs of threads on the JB4 & Stage 1 and am still missing a bit of info. I have been running a Stage 1 with just MPE and charcoal filter delete and it has been flawless but just want a bit more bump and smoother power. I bought a JB4 and am waiting on a bluetooth adapter to arrive to install. My plan is to run it dedicated map 2 with fuel connector hooked up and play around with 3.5 gal of E85 with 93oct, I always run 93oct by the way. Not going to run down pipes at this point but may do secondary cat delete since the MPE retains them. I am still under warranty for awhile.

So my question is:
I have read where peeps state the JB4 map 1 is milder than on the JB stage 1 and map 2 does not do much for you over the plain JB stage 1 unless your running E85. Is the true? Also there are comments where they say that the JB4 delivers better controlled and smoother power than the JB Stage 1. I have seen many low numbers and high numbers, happy and unhappy so wanted to throw this up here. I am running it either way and am looking forward to the other advantages.

Believe me I have read, read, searched, searched. Can someone give me the straight scoop for a newbe? I read all the posts and specs from BMS and other sites....just curious
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #2
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

I believe the BMS Stage 1 and JB4 Map 1 are the same exact thing
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
So my question is:
I have read where peeps state the JB4 map 1 is milder than on the JB stage 1 and map 2 does not do much for you over the plain JB stage 1 unless your running E85. Is the true? Also there are comments where they say that the JB4 delivers better controlled and smoother power than the JB Stage 1. I have seen many low numbers and high numbers, happy and unhappy so wanted to throw this up here. I am running it either way and am looking forward to the other advantages.
JB4 map 1 is milder than on the JB stage 1
They are the same in terms of power

Map 2 is more aggressive than Jb stage 1 by ~ 20 whp

Jb4 power delivery is smoother

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
All,
I have been reading hrs and hrs of threads on the JB4 & Stage 1 and am still missing a bit of info. I have been running a Stage 1 with just MPE and charcoal filter delete and it has been flawless but just want a bit more bump and smoother power. I bought a JB4 and am waiting on a bluetooth adapter to arrive to install. My plan is to run it dedicated map 2 with fuel connector hooked up and play around with 3.5 gal of E85 with 93oct, I always run 93oct by the way. Not going to run down pipes at this point but may do secondary cat delete since the MPE retains them. I am still under warranty for awhile.

So my question is:

Believe me I have read, read, searched, searched. Can someone give me the straight scoop for a newbe? I read all the posts and specs from BMS and other sites....just curious
If you plan to mod any further and want the drivability and control, stay with the JB4.

Stage 1 is for folks who just want that quick bump in power but don't really plan to mod further.

Sounds like you are trying to hear from folks with experience so I'll let them chime in personally. With forums you typically get only the "bad" but not many of the good. 1000's of people out there enjoying their tunes without mentioning it once on the forums.
Appreciate 0