ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
braunthalf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Dinan Stage 3 install, Drivetrain malfunction

Had my 2016 M3 nonCP with 15,000 miles have a stage 3 Dinan tune installed along with Dinan Cold air intake, Dinan High Flow X-Pipe, and Dinan High Performance Heat Exchanger installed yesterday. Once it was installed a Drivetrain Malfunction warning comes on every time i start the car. It dose not feel like its in limp mode and the car seems to be running fine but what could have caused this issue. I am taking it into the dealer on Monday to see what they think but if anyone has any input of how to clear this would be helpful. Also i took it to my buddy who used a reader and no error messages come up....
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunthalf View Post
Had my 2016 M3 nonCP with 15,000 miles have a stage 3 Dinan tune installed along with Dinan Cold air intake, Dinan High Flow X-Pipe, and Dinan High Performance Heat Exchanger installed yesterday. Once it was installed a Drivetrain Malfunction warning comes on every time i start the car. It dose not feel like its in limp mode and the car seems to be running fine but what could have caused this issue. I am taking it into the dealer on Monday to see what they think but if anyone has any input of how to clear this would be helpful. Also i took it to my buddy who used a reader and no error messages come up....
Likely your reader can't read BMW codes.

We are an authorized Dinan dealer. Bring it by, we can read codes for you and let you know what the errors are.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braunthalf View Post
Likely your reader can't read BMW codes.

We are an authorized Dinan dealer. Bring it by, we can read codes for you and let you know what the errors are.
Pmd
      04-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #4
packet.pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Resetting adaptations after an install like that is a good idea.

What's with all the blanked out posts?
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Sorry about the Post with .'s on them, I made them by mistake and could not delete them on my phone. I will have my shop try that tomorrow and see if it fixes the problem and i will repost back.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
packet:pilot
Banned
Rep

It may be worth considering purchasing an ENET cable (around $20 on Amazon) and getting ISTA/D so you can do this yourself, as well as read codes. Interested to hear what comes of this!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:37 AM   #7
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet.pilot View Post

Yea resetting the fuel/timing adaptations is a must on an install like that. Is your cel light on?

For get getting a cable I got a icom on eBay the best money I ever spent. It gives you engineer level access. The icom is the factory bmw scan tool you just need a compatible laptop works awesome. I programmed my injectors on my old 135i I can do just about to program myself a key for my new M4
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #8
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is the icom
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:47 AM   #9
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

+1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #10
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

How is this done?, disconnecting battery and driving it relatively easy for a bit once reconnected?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
How is this done?, disconnecting battery and driving it relatively easy for a bit once reconnected?
i'm interested as well although I have a feeling it will be through Rheingold / Ista / Esys
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Dinan sells an reader that can delete codes.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...ries&mid=1178/
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Dinan sells an reader that can delete codes.

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...ries&mid=1178/
Thank you so much Ian1973 I'm going to pick one up today just incase.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
Banned
Rep

Deleting codes is *not* the same as resetting adaptations, and will not do this.

Also, an ICOM cable is unnecessary, as an ENET cable for a fraction of the price ($20) will do the job perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

What are your codes ?
Maybe something was not installed correctly.
The Dinan package you installed is very straight forward installation.
Did you clean the connectors on the factory ECU harness and the Dinan harness ?
The kit comes with a contact solutions spray and it is highly recommended to use anytime the connectors are removed.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #16
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Quote:

As for the messed up posts I got some sort of error on my phone while using the app. Disconnecting the battery is not a good idea. With more expensive scan tools there is a selection for resting adaptive settings.

By the way if you plan on doing your own repairs and/or putting modifications on your car getting an icom is so worth the 250 bucks and a old laptop I had laying around.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #17
braunthalf
Private
Rep

Update from today. Yeah install had a leak on one of the coolant hose's. When they filled with coolant the error stopped, they took the bumper off and are working to get it fixed. Hopefully I will have my baby back tomorrow!!
      04-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkite View Post
As for the messed up posts I got some sort of error on my phone while using the app. Disconnecting the battery is not a good idea. With more expensive scan tools there is a selection for resting adaptive settings.

By the way if you plan on doing your own repairs and/or putting modifications on your car getting an icom is so worth the 250 bucks and a old laptop I had laying around.
I'm confused: why ICOM over an ENET cable, especially for diagnostics?

I'm unaware of a single thing that requires ICOM, and have carried out numerous software update flashes over ENET.

Thanks for any info you can share, as I'd imagine there's some reason as to why a 10x expenditure seems warranted to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet:pilot View Post
Quote:

I'm confused: why ICOM over an ENET cable, especially for diagnostics?

I'm unaware of a single thing that requires ICOM, and have carried out numerous software update flashes over ENET.

Thanks for any info you can share, as I'd imagine there's some reason as to why a 10x expenditure seems warranted to you.
I used the icom to program my injectors on my last car (135i) the car had tons of upgrades like Rb Turbos,clutch,flywheel,larger intercooler, ect. So whenever I had a problem it was super easy to fix. I was able to give myself updates, make extra keys. So the icom @250 more then paid for itself. Being that this is The the icom is factory BMW tool there is nothing better to have. So why play with things that only do some of the stuff when u can do everything u need with the icom. Especially if you plan on keeping the car or plan on staying with bmw for your next car.

It uses a Ethernet cable as a way to connect to the computer to the icom that's all
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #20
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I used the icom to program my injectors on my last car (135i) the car had tons of upgrades like Rb Turbos,clutch,flywheel,larger intercooler, ect. So whenever I had a problem it was super easy to fix. I was able to give myself updates, make extra keys. So the icom @250 more then paid for itself. Being that this is The the icom is factory BMW tool there is nothing better to have. So why play with things that only do some of the stuff when u can do everything u need with the icom. Especially if you plan on keeping the car or plan on staying with bmw for your next car.

It uses a Ethernet cable as a way to connect to the computer to the icom that's all
All the things you mention are things an ENET cable is perfectly capable of handling. As far as I know, there are zero things (on an F/G/I chassis) that an ICOM can do that an ENET cable cannot.

I'm not trying to be argumentative fwiw, I'm just literally hoping that those who are reading don't needlessly shell out 10x more money than they need to. The extra $200 could go toward mods. :-)

I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong; I'm here to learn, like we all are. ..?

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #21
Hellkite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet:pilot View Post
Quote:

All the things you mention are things an ENET cable is perfectly capable of handling. As far as I know, there are zero things (on an F/G/I chassis) that an ICOM can do that an ENET cable cannot.

I'm happy to be shown that I'm wrong; I'm here to learn, like we all are. ..?

Hey if you think the factory bmw scan tool isn't worth it that's your view. I'm just telling you as a mechanic for over 20 years experience that the factory scan tool for any car is the best to use. I can reprogram/install/ and code any key or computer to the car. It's super easy to use unlike those old basic programs out there that kinda work.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #22
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey if you think the factory bmw scan tool isn't worth it that's your view. I'm just telling you as a mechanic for over 20 years experience that the factory scan tool for any car is the best to use. I can reprogram/install/ and code any key or computer to the car. It's super easy to use unlike those old basic programs out there that kinda work.
ENET with ISTA is perfectly fine; I'm not arguing over the tool (ISTA is great, for many things, and I use it regularly), I'm just asking you to name one thing that the ICOM interface can do (with ISTA or anything else) that an ENET cable cannot, on an F/G/I chassis car.

If the ENET cable can do everything an ICOM cable can (and, like I said, maybe it can't! and I'm happy to hear why), then it stands to reason that ICOM not being worthwhile at 10x the cost of an ENET cable wouldn't just be my view, it'd be objective fact. But, my understanding is incomplete, and I'm only pleading with you to help fill in my blanks.

If you don't know, that's fine. Nobody's forcing you to say so. Not everyone is comfortable talking about the limitations of their knowledge, especially if they're citing decades of experience in the field.
Appreciate 0