R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Obd2 scanner

Hi all quick question- what obd2 scanner are most people using here for their m3/4 - wanted to pick one up and figure I ask what's the best or most common one? Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

If you're looking for a portable handheld OBD scanner then I think most will do the same thing. If you are looking for something that is specific for BMW with detailed accurate explanations of the codes you should look into using Rheingold, which is what I use. However will require a laptop and an ENET cable (OBDII to Ethernet cable).
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
If you're looking for a portable handheld OBD scanner then I think most will do the same thing. If you are looking for something that is specific for BMW with detailed accurate explanations of the codes you should look into using Rheingold, which is what I use. However will require a laptop and an ENET cable (OBDII to Ethernet cable).
Thanks I was thinking of this one? Don't need something super complicated but enough so that I can see what's happening and not rely on a dealership telling me in case of an issue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4R5Z4L..._BZWdzbE0R4KW5
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Get a OBDII wifi or Bluetooth dongle like the V-Link (there are others out there that work, but this is what I personally use) and buy the BimmerLink app for iOS. If on Android, I've heard the Carly app works decent on BMW's as well.

Me personally, I use ISTA/D (aka Rheingold) for most things and especially troubleshooting as this is the factory service software and does anything and everything you'd need. This requires a laptop and a ENET cable and of course the software.

If you ever decide to get tuned, there are several options (piggyback and flash tunes) that feature scan tools. I use BM3 to scan and clear codes, the OBDII scanner is part of the flashing suite and works great for quick scans and clearing and also has an option for clearing DME adaptations. The JB4 piggyback also has a decent OBDII scan tool as well.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      05-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post
Thanks I was thinking of this one? Don't need something super complicated but enough so that I can see what's happening and not rely on a dealership telling me in case of an issue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4R5Z4L..._BZWdzbE0R4KW5
Honestly don't have much experience with handheld scanners. Before Rheingold I used Bavarian Technic Tool for my E92, which I don't recommend for the F80. But I hear that Autel makes decent scanners, you can find different versions of them on Amazon and see which suits your needs.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0