Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

DME replace

So my DME was damage during the unlocking process. I have to get a new DME. Any members on here have to go through this painful process? Please chime in for any help. Thanks
      05-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting, what happened?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
Interesting, what happened?
Not sure. Got my DME back install it and car won't start got fault code 119404 something about fuel pressure rail malfunction.
      05-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Again, as many people informed you in the other thread. This COULD NOT have resulted from the "unlock process". It seems you are convinced or your installer is convincing you that this is the case, but its not. You could always have your DME restored to its original state to see for yourself
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
Again, as many people informed you in the other thread. This COULD NOT have resulted from the "unlock process". It seems you are convinced or your installer is convincing you that this is the case, but its not. You could always have your DME restored to its original state to see for yourself
Yeah thanks I've been informed that the unlocking is not the problem. Something was damage. hardware, wires etc. is the case. Just wanted to get some sleep this week that's all. Never had to replace my DME or heard about it on this forum. So just wanted experience members on here to chime in. Once I get the new DME everything on my old one gets transfer to the new one right? Since my original full readout files already happened. Iam sure and hoping this can be done. And I won't lose anything during this while process.
      05-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFlight81 View Post
..... Waiting to figure out what's the next step to do. The shop that did the unlocking offer to pay for another old/new DME. Iam just concern if he can re write all my old map to the new DME and that nothing is lost along the way. Hopefully all the functions in my car recognizes the new DME. And one member on here said all my services and Miles are store in the kombi so this won't be a problem. My warranty for the car is screw once I decided to get my DME unlock so this is not the problem. Just wanted to get my car up back and running without losing anything. Of course I will get the new one flash to bootmod3 tune. New to this whole flashing tuning stuff so just concerned if my car will be the same
Now to answer your other questions on the other thread. Before rushing into deciding a new DME is needed, I'd start by checking that the connectors are installed in the right place. Like mentioned by many, there are two connectors that look identicle. Next check if any of the pins on the DME (where the connectors slide in) is damaged (could have happened during shipping or install/uninstall).

Worse case scenario if you need a new DME you don't need to worry about anything. Especially that the shop has promised to cover the cost, there is nothing you should be stressing about. Nothing to worry about other functions not working or "things being lost on the way".

And yes, mileage and service info are stored in KOMBI. I know because I wanted to change my KOMBI as I had a US-spec car with MPH on the tach and wanted to switch it with a euro-spec KOMBI with KM/H on the tach. From my research on doing that I discovered that mileage and service are stored in KOMBI (and how easy it is to alter your mileage for that matter, which was shocking to me).
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thanks I've been informed that the unlocking is not the problem. Something was damage. hardware, wires etc. is the case. Just wanted to get some sleep this week that's all. Never had to replace my DME or heard about it on this forum. So just wanted experience members on here to chime in. Once I get the new DME everything on my old one gets transfer to the new one right? Since my original full readout files already happened. Iam sure and hoping this can be done. And I won't lose anything during this while process.
The new DME will get flashed and activated for your VIN. You will still need to unlock the new DME. I don't believe (could be wrong) that you can simply "transfer" your old data from your old DME.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
..... Waiting to figure out what's the next step to do. The shop that did the unlocking offer to pay for another old/new DME. Iam just concern if he can re write all my old map to the new DME and that nothing is lost along the way. Hopefully all the functions in my car recognizes the new DME. And one member on here said all my services and Miles are store in the kombi so this won't be a problem. My warranty for the car is screw once I decided to get my DME unlock so this is not the problem. Just wanted to get my car up back and running without losing anything. Of course I will get the new one flash to bootmod3 tune. New to this whole flashing tuning stuff so just concerned if my car will be the same
Now to answer your other questions on the other thread. Before rushing into deciding a new DME is needed, I'd start by checking that the connectors are installed in the right place. Like mentioned by many, there are two connectors that look identicle. Next check if any of the pins on the DME (where the connectors slide in) is damaged (could have happened during shipping or install/uninstall).

Worse case scenario if you need a new DME you don't need to worry about anything. Especially that the shop has promised to cover the cost, there is nothing you should be stressing about. Nothing to worry about other functions not working or "things being lost on the way".

And yes, mileage and service info are stored in KOMBI. I know because I wanted to change my KOMBI as I had a US-spec car with MPH on the tach and wanted to switch it with a euro-spec KOMBI with KM/H on the tach. From my research on doing that I discovered that mileage and service are stored in KOMBI (and how easy it is to alter your mileage for that matter, which was shocking to me).
Ok thanks man. Iam not educated on this whole flash/ tuning stuff so I just have a lot of questions for the experience members on here. We check all connectors on the DME itself and connectors on my car. Everything seem to be in working order. That's good to know that all my services and mileage are store on the kombi. I'll will keep this thread open to let other members know what happened next. And what to do if this happens to them.
      05-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Your first priority is to get your car up and running, tunes or no tunes...
If you decide to have your DME replaced, here's the BMW procedure from ISTA. Now in your post, you say that you are concerned with getting a new DME and getting your old maps onto it. What maps are you referring to?

Take things step by step:
1- who and how did the unlock (tools? ) of your DME? In this post, you say that you got that fault when the unlocked DME was put back in the car. You have not answered back if the connectors and pins were properly checked! Edit, you just did, are you 100% sure?

2- if you get a new DME, and the same mistake happens, guess what, you are back to square 1. So you need to understand what happened with your current DME. As you said above, the unlocked DME was installed back, car didn't start and DME didn't have bm3 tune. So focus on the operations that happened, removal, unlock, install.

3- does your shop have ISTA or what other tool are they diagnosing your BMW with? So I am provide more instructions. If ISTA, need to follow the lab measures.

Need to provide much more info (pics, details,...) so we can help you. Alles gute

PS: K333333 isn't my VIN.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Your first priority is to get your car up and running, tunes or no tunes...
If you decide to have your DME replaced, here's the BMW procedure from ISTA. Now in your post, you say that you are concerned with getting a new DME and getting your old maps onto it. What maps are you referring to?

Take things step by step:
1- who and how did the unlock of your DME? In this post, you say that you got that fault when the unlocked DME was put back in the car. You have not answered back if the connectors and pins were properly checked!

2- if you get a new DME, and the same mistake happens, guess what, you are back to square 1. So you need to understand what happened with your current DME. As you said above, the unlocked DME was installed back, car didn't start and DME didn't have bm3 tune. So focus on the operations that happened, removal, unlock, install.

Need to provide much more info (pics, details,...) so we can help you. Alles gute

PS: K333333 isn't my VIN.
I do not have any pictures of my DME and any wires . My car is sitting at at shop about two hours away. Forgot to mention iam in Germany so getting anything done in the weekend is almost impossible. My mechanic said he check everything to the wires and connectors.
- when I mention my old map back. I meant my original OEM map. The map that came with my car
- the shop that did the unlocking already did a full readout on my old DME, so hopefully if I get a new one he can flash my OEM map to the new DME.

I wish I had pictures and know more to clear things up
      05-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
The new DME will get flashed and activated for your VIN. You will still need to unlock the new DME. I don't believe (could be wrong) that you can simply "transfer" your old data from your old DME.
Yes, read linked doc above. There is injector adjustment data that can be transferred using ISTA, if not it is possible to re-enter it. It's an important step to do. (However flashing old DME readout on new DME is risky)

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-07-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #12
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
- when I mention my old map back. I meant my original OEM map. The map that came with my car
- the shop that did the unlocking already did a full readout on my old DME, so hopefully if I get a new one he can flash my OEM map to the new DME.
Wie geht's, no one can miss that flag
Ok no worries, if and when you get a new DME (let's hope old one is ok), it needs to be programmed using BMW tools (ESys or ISTA/P), all the tools and BMW firmware are widely available.

Flashing your new DME using your old DME readout and tools which were used to unlock/read your old DME is risky, why would you want to do that? Does your shop really know this stuff? You can always open a ticket with bm3 and ask them...

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-07-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wie geht's, no one can miss that flag
Ok no worries, if and when you get a new DME (let's hope old one is ok), it needs to be programmed using BMW tools (ESys or ISTA/P), all the tools and BMW firmware are widely available.

Flashing your new DME using your old DME readout and tools which were used to unlock/read your old DME is risky, why would you want to do that? Does your shop really know this stuff?
So if my old DME is damaged and can't be fix what can I do ? Should I go ahead and tell the shop just unlock the new DME and don't worry about my old map? Or bite the bullets and contact BMW directly to get a new DME from them, and have them code it to my car vin. What should I do?
      05-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
So if my old DME is damaged and can't be fix what can I do ? Should I go ahead and tell the shop just unlock the new DME and don't worry about my old map?
What is it that you think there is in your old DME readout that you keep on insisting that you don't want to loose ? I don't understand your point, maybe its a language thing.

Regardless, your shop should know the procedures to retrofit/replace this steuergerät ! So why are you worried ?

Quote:
Or bite the bullets and contact BMW directly to get a new DME from them, and have them code it to my car vin. What should I do?
Ok, that is a good point, programming an ECU to a VIN. FEM requires it and only done by dealer I think and most likely for DME too. These are advanced topics that I can't help with and if your shop doesnt know or have the tools to do so, then its best to deal with the BMW dealer ...

One last idea, how about you ask your shop with your current DME installed in your car, to flash the stock BMW DME firmware using BMW tools (Esys or ISTA/P), and see what happens ? Also, as I said, if they have ISTA+ they could diagnose the DME in place and see ISTA's recommendations (lab measure)

Last edited by aboulfad; 05-07-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So if my old DME is damaged and can't be fix what can I do ? Should I go ahead and tell the shop just unlock the new DME and don't worry about my old map?
What is it that you think there is in your old DME readout that you keep on insisting that you don't want to loose ? I don't understand your point, maybe its a language thing.

Regardless, your shop should know the procedures to retrofit/replace this steuergerät ! So why are you worried ?

Quote:
Or bite the bullets and contact BMW directly to get a new DME from them, and have them code it to my car vin. What should I do?
Ok, that is a good point, programming an ECU to a VIN. Unsure for DME if it is needed or not, FEM requires it and only done by dealer I think and most likely for DME too. These are advanced topics that I can't help with and if your shop doesnt know or have the tools to do so, then its best to deal with the BMW dealer ...

One last idea, how about you ask your shop with your current DME installed in your car, to flash the stock BMW DME firmware using BMW tools (Esys or ISTA/P), and see what happens ? Also, as I said, if they have ISTA+ they could diagnose the DME in place and see ISTA's recommendations (lab measure)
I will see if they can do this. The problem is that my car is at a shop in Germany while I had my DME ship to Belgium to get it unlock. My mechanic where my car is currently at does not want to do anything with my DME because he did not unlock it. I totally understand this. He diagnosed everything on my car and DME and all came down to the DME was damage some how during the unlocking process process. You are absolutely right important thing is getting my car up and running anything after can be deal with later. Just getting a whole new DME worst case scenario worry me that's all.
      05-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #16
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
There was another thread on here where the user had a fuel rail error and car would not start when his installer forced a connector into the wrong socket on the DME (also after removal for flash).... this required a few replaced sensors etc.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #17
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
You are absolutely justified with your worries, but you are not alone I know most of us worry about the smallest stupidest thing that happens with our cars, imagine replacing a DME! But sometimes we need to take a step back and think it's just money...

If your shop doesn't know how to use BMW tools, I am happy to point you in that direction.

Do you know how your shop pulled that code? Did you see any screens similar to the attached one here?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #18
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
There was another thread on here where the user had a fuel rail error and car would not start when his installer forced a connector into the wrong socket on the DME (also after removal for flash).... this required a few replaced sensors etc.
Maybe that's the one I am looking for, it had pictures with the connectors,... but I can't find it, darn search!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #19
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You are absolutely justified with your worries, but you are not alone I know most of us worry about the smallest stupidest thing that happens with our cars, imagine replacing a DME! But sometimes we need to take a step back and think it's just money...

If your shop doesn't know how to use BMW tools, I am happy to point you in that direction.

Do you know how your shop pulled that code? Did you see any screens similar to the attached one here?
No I did not see any pictures from the shop that pull my DME or the one that did the unlocking. It's weird because the shop that did the unlocking did mine and my buddy at the same time. Unfortunately mine was screw. He told me done this plenty of times and never had this problem. My DME will be sent back to him on Monday to see if he can figure what went wrong. After I find out about this while painful process I will post it on the forums so who ever encounter this will have an idea what to expect. In meantime please feel free to chime in. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. This is a whole new learning experience
      05-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #20
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I think this is the best action for now, get the unlock shop to check the DME and go from there. Btw, why not ask the mechanic to take some pics of the DME pins before shipping it to Belgium and treat him to few beers
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #21
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I think this is the best action for now, get the unlock shop to check the DME and go from there. Btw, why not ask the mechanic to take some pics of the DME pins before shipping it to Belgium and treat him to few beers
Will do. Just didn't want to hurt his feelings asking him for pictures is like slapping him in the face. He's a very knowledgeable mechanic. He does all our members car. He use to work directly for BMW now have his own shop. So I trust his opinions. Iam sure if any pins were damage he would said something instead of sending it back to Belgium to have the other guy take a look at the DME. He did all ring out check, ohms check through all wires. He even swap my rail fuel sensor cable out with my buddy M. It work on his car, his cable didn't work on mine. So this cable is out of the question. He mentioned that my DME might be damage from the inside or during the unlocking process, but he does not want to lean toward that since he don't want to talk bad to the guy in Belgium, and I understand this.
      05-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
oh in that case, he sounds like a nice chap, so still treat him for few beers and don't ask for pics I think your approach to dealing with this is very mature and appreciated

If you are curious to learn, maybe helps you further diagnose and help your issue, here are two interesting threads from su_root on unlock and removal of DME:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1264155
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1272949

and you can find other videos on the removal process on youtube.
Appreciate 0