Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
Venere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Exhaust system "resonance" at 3K RPM

I tried searching forum but couldn't find threads on the same issue as mine, so here goes...

I've had my 2018 M4 Coupe for a month now. Very happy with car in every way, but there seems to be an odd sort of hollow exhaust resonance and/or induction sound when under moderate to heavy acceleration as engine passes thru the 3K - 4K RPM range. Above that the exhaust note becomes more typical high pitched sound one would expect. It almost sounds like a harmonic with the body's fundamental frequency, not even part of the exhaust note itself. My friend's M2 has none of this resonance at all, just classic sports car exhaust note. My question is...is this normal for M4? Is it part of the silly artificial engine sound thru the speakers, or just the nature of the car itself?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
I tried searching forum but couldn't find threads on the same issue as mine, so here goes...

I've had my 2018 M4 Coupe for a month now. Very happy with car in every way, but there seems to be an odd sort of hollow exhaust resonance and/or induction sound when under moderate to heavy acceleration as engine passes thru the 3K - 4K RPM range. Above that the exhaust note becomes more typical high pitched sound one would expect. It almost sounds like a harmonic with the body's fundamental frequency, not even part of the exhaust note itself. My friend's M2 has none of this resonance at all, just classic sports car exhaust note. My question is...is this normal for M4? Is it part of the silly artificial engine sound thru the speakers, or just the nature of the car itself?
I don't recall my car having had this issue with the stock exhaust, and it doesn't now with the Akrapovic exhaust either. Can you provide a soundclip of what it sounds like?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

DCT and sound/noise is much more noticeable in 4th gear?

I hear a "whine" in my DCT in that RPM range while in 4th gear. I thought it was turbo noise but I also notice it when dethrottle and rpm's are dropping in that same range so I think it is more likely noise from the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Welcome to F8X shitty exhaust sound ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

I always expect the 'drone' to be at 2k but in the 2017 CP M4 the 3k 'range' seems to bring it out, that's when I get the "hollow" 'drone like' sound in the exhaust. BTW I had the 'audio' enhancement removed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
Venere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
I always expect the 'drone' to be at 2k but in the 2017 CP M4 the 3k 'range' seems to bring it out, that's when I get the "hollow" 'drone like' sound in the exhaust. BTW I had the 'audio' enhancement removed.
So does coding out the "audio enhancement" make much difference in the drone (or in general), and are your comments related to before or after the de-coding?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venere View Post
So does coding out the "audio enhancement" make much difference in the drone (or in general), and are your comments related to before or after the de-coding?
Don't know, had it removed before I ever drove it, just worth noting it's there even without the audio enhancement... I hate the idea of it....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
lewz4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: shopping cart

I thought the same thing at first when the car was new, along with having 2 different sets of midpipes. I think you just need the exhaust to break in a little more and it'll go away!