Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

05-19-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
M4YHEM
hokage
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Exhaust Laws in NYC.

anyone know them? will they really mess with you? i understand totally if your just being obnoxious. but does anyone have any solid info been googling and finding mostly honda talk
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 03:32 AM   #2
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4YHEM View Post
anyone know them? will they really mess with you? i understand totally if your just being obnoxious. but does anyone have any solid info been googling and finding mostly honda talk
As long as u are not louder than Ferrari u are good
      05-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #3
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

In NYC? I doubt you'll get pulled over unless you have gunshot burbles. NYC cops don't care much for that. I've even had a few pull beside me and ask me to rev my car, which is extremely loud and awesome of them. I'm sure there's a law, but it's never enforced.

That being said, the same does NOT apply outside of the city. I've been pulled over twice while in Dobbs Ferry for my exhaust. Apparently the loud pop after pushing it hard to 4k RPM then letting off the accelerator is unsafe
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Right now the cops in NY care more about window tint then loud exhaust notes.

They just passed a ridiculous tint law here. Fuckin NY State. The land of NO.
Appreciate 2
m4282118.50
      05-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
tommy94gt
Captain
Rep
Drives: SMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

This.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Turbo1204
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2024 bmw   [0.00]
I'll tell you what happened to me last year. I have an awe non resonated. It was on cold start and the first few minutes of driving the exhaust will be very loud. Cops pull me over in queens NY and ask me if it's modified in anyway. I said no it's open close valves and I told them it's a cold start the exhaust is extra loud first few minutes. Long story short he said I don't believe you and the law it that you are not allowed to modify your exhaust noise in anyway. I received a criminal ticket and had to appear in court. If I did not appear a court I would have a criminal record. Basically a misdemeanor. My lawyer happens to have an M4 and he explained to the judge that it was a ridiculous summons. Judge laughed and said must have been a rookie cop. But I did check the law it does exist. Just don't ticket high horsepower vehicles because they are usually loud. That's what he meant by rookie cop.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

The only thing ridiculous is you! Why don't you do a traffic stop when you can't see inside. Sorry but a cops life and safety is more important than your vanity!
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing ridiculous is you! Why don't you do a traffic stop when you can't see inside. Sorry but a cops life and safety is more important than your vanity!
Wah Wah Wah. It's ok little cry baby. All that needed to be done was to make a law that everyone has to roll down their windows in a stop. I do this anyway as to ease little piggy's trigger finger. It's all bullshit politics. Idiot Democrats want to pretend they care about cops in NY.

Don't become a cop if you can't handle it!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeM4 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Wah Wah Wah. It's ok little cry baby. All that needed to be done was to make a law that everyone has to roll down their windows in a stop. I do this anyway as to ease little piggy's trigger finger. It's all bullshit politics. Idiot Democrats want to pretend they care about cops in NY.

Don't become a cop if you can't handle it!
Not sure who you are calling cry baby but I was a cop for 25 years. A roll down windows law wouldn't work! Criminals don't follow the law! And yes, I'm an expert on this situation. I'd be dead right now due to tinted windows if a driver's pistol had not malfunctioned.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Everybody settle down...

My exhaust is loud, it's a full turbo back unresonated/no cats Remus race unit....I don't have cop trouble because I don't drive like a dick...don't drive like a dick and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 2
pgviper277.50
M4YHEM261.00
      06-25-2017, 10:25 PM   #11
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Saw your car today at West Street and Bank Street in Manhattan. Nice looking M4 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:16 AM   #12
M4YHEM
hokage
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glina View Post
Saw your car today at West Street and Bank Street in Manhattan. Nice looking M4 👍
Haha small world and thank you went to see the freedom tower and spend some time with the family.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Motorocycle that had by far the most obnoxious straight pipe I have ever heard drove directly next to NYPD (two officers sitting in their car) in a residential area.

Absolutely nothing happened.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

99% don't care, they actually admire a nice sounding exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
gqambitions
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Audi S5

I think it is all about how you act really. If you are down shifting and revving like an a**hole then yea they will take notice. But if you are regular driving and your exhaust is just naturally loud I do not think they will bother you. I live in Upstate NY so might be a little different than the city.
Appreciate 0