R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

Can anyone help me identify this squeaky sound. I cant pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. It sounds like a loose idle pully or something but then again it also sounds like shaving metal. I honestly dont know, maybe someone can help me.

Car only has 2800 miles and it recently just started to doing it. I hope its nothing major. Below is a recording, around 15 to 37 seconds into the video, its very apparent. Please ignore the movement as I was trying to pinpoint the sound.

Can anyone check theirs and see if this is normal? After driving for awhile, I cant really hear anymore but its there.

Please help, thanks.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Is it just when cold? I had the similar noise and it turned out to be a water pump belt, then the delaer replaced it and it came back again thwy they replaced the camshaft pully with all the gear and it was fine since.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well car is finally in the shop and said its the water pump. Barely 2800 miles and needs a replacement. Oh well, glad I caught it early.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

i also had similar noises/squeaks on my 2015 M4. i brought it in for service and it also turned out to be water pump. After i had the water pump replaced the noise was still accruing on cold starts. Brought it back to the dealer and had the idler pulley replaced. Again car was fine for couple weeks then when i started it up after sitting for couple days the squeaking noise is back. i have an appointment in couple days and will report back ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpm3 View Post
i also had similar noises/squeaks on my 2015 M4. i brought it in for service and it also turned out to be water pump. After i had the water pump replaced the noise was still accruing on cold starts. Brought it back to the dealer and had the idler pulley replaced. Again car was fine for couple weeks then when i started it up after sitting for couple days the squeaking noise is back. i have an appointment in couple days and will report back ASAP.
Thanks for your input. I should be getting my car back today so I will keep an ear out for other noises after replacement. This kinda of sucks knowing mine only had 2800 miles but oh well, I guess I threw the short end of the stick.

Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0