EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Think the dealer screwed me, anyone know how to loosen up metal brace?

So for some reason lately, every time I have the JB4 on any map but map0, I am getting a drivetrain malfunction error message and car sputters. So I figured I would take the JB4 off. I go to take it off today.. after unhooking all the harnesses I realize that all the JB4 harness wires are routed UNDER the metal strut brace on the passenger side. So, there's no way to get the JB4 out of the car unless I either lift the metal brace up or cut the wires.

I know for a fact when I installed the JB4 I of course routed the wires along that rubber area over the metal brace since there's obviously not even room to go under the metal brace.

Last week I had taken the car in for an oil change and brake fluid flush.

Why would do the dealer go through the hassle to do this????

And anyone have a DIY on lifting the metal brace? Not the CF strut brace, but the metal one it's attached to.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
So for some reason lately, every time I have the JB4 on any map but map0, I am getting a drivetrain malfunction error message and car sputters. So I figured I would take the JB4 off. I go to take it off today.. after unhooking all the harnesses I realize that all the JB4 harness wires are routed UNDER the metal strut brace on the passenger side. So, there's no way to get the JB4 out of the car unless I either lift the metal brace up or cut the wires.

I know for a fact when I installed the JB4 I of course routed the wires along that rubber area over the metal brace since there's obviously not even room to go under the metal brace.

And anyone have a DIY on lifting the metal brace? Not the CF strut brace, but the metal one it's attached to.

Need a pic to further help but removal of the rear aluminium strut brace is very straight forward.

You'll need a E12 and E14 socket and I think a 16mm socket (maybe a 13mm...been a while since I removed mine ) for the rear bolts in the middle. Careful though because the E12 and E14 fit pretty close. Remove the rubber covers on the strut towers held on by a few pop rivets (i think 6 in total) and you're good from there. Pop the circular covers off with a flat head that are on the middle of the center cowl and that'll expose the two bolts that need to be loosened.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

It should come out without issue....I have the alum enclosure and can get mine in and out with a little work. Please post a picture
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hopefully this photo makes sense.. but note all the wires from the harness going under the brace and the JB4 is on the other side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Bizall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0

Check out this video...about 4-5 mins in.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Quote:

Need a pic to further help but removal of the rear aluminium strut brace is very straight forward.

You'll need a E12 and E14 socket and I think a 16mm socket (maybe a 13mm...been a while since I removed mine ) for the rear bolts in the middle. Careful though because the E12 and E14 fit pretty close. Remove the rubber covers on the strut towers held on by a few pop rivets (i think 6 in total) and you're good from there. Pop the circular covers off with a flat head that are on the middle of the center cowl and that'll expose the two bolts that need to be loosened.
Took this advice, removed the brace, removed the JB4. Thanks guys!

Can't believe I spent so much time yesterday trying to finangle it under that area.... Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
Montreal M2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: LCI F87 AW 6MT MPE/FBO

Quote:

Interesting enough, I recently reinstalled my JB4 and Im getting the same sputtering/rough idle, mainly on startup/cold start.

Im going to try updating the firmware this weekend but did you figure out why this was happening to you?

I had it installed last year without issue but now, engine light comes on every so often and sputtering!

Any insight would be helpful!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal M4 View Post
Quote:

Interesting enough, I recently reinstalled my JB4 and Im getting the same sputtering/rough idle, mainly on startup/cold start.

Im going to try updating the firmware this weekend but did you figure out why this was happening to you?

I had it installed last year without issue but now, engine light comes on every so often and sputtering!

Any insight would be helpful!
Not sure. Reinstalled and now everything is fine. Only thing I can come up with is bad gas. I had it off and ran the tank down to almost empty, filled back up, reinstalled and it's been fine ever since.
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2017, 02:02 PM   #9
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

The instructions say to run the wiring under the metal brace and not over. You sure it wasn't always under the brace?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
The instructions say to run the wiring under the metal brace and not over. You sure it wasn't always under the brace?
It's physically not possible to run it under the metal brace from the engine bay.

I spoke with BMS and they had suggested I unplugged the JB4 from the board and that harness doesn't even fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #11
Montreal M2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: LCI F87 AW 6MT MPE/FBO

Quote:
Not sure. Reinstalled and now everything is fine. Only thing I can come up with is bad gas. I had it off and ran the tank down to almost empty, filled back up, reinstalled and it's been fine ever since.
I thought the same, ran mine down to empty on Map 0 and filled back up with 94 octane... didn't help

Might try uninstalling and reinstalling

Thanks for the info
Appreciate 0