Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

So I did some research on this, but couldn't find an answer. I previously had an e92 and everyone used to say the jb4 was untraceable by the dealer as long as it was removed and the codes were cleared. I had the jb4 for the entire time I had a warranty and never had a problem. On the f80 forum people seem to be saying that even if the jb4 is removed and the codes are cleared the dealer can still tell it was tuned. My question is did bmw make some sort of software change that allows them to detect tune in a way that they couldn't on the e90 platform? I'm not trying to get into a debate about whether a dealer can or can't detect a tune I just genuinely want to know if something changed from the way the dealer detects the jb4 from the old 335i. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
      05-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Seems there has been lots of info on this subject lately in tuning threads!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

BMW knows every knows all. even when u go to the bathroom. u cant hide

Appreciate 1
NOLATom104.00
      05-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092 View Post
Seems there has been lots of info on this subject lately in tuning threads!
I have seen listed over and over again that bmw can detect that you had a tune through a fasta report if they wanted to, but were they not previously able to do this?
      05-28-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

BMW just seems to care more about tuned cars now then they used to a few years back. I had a Cobb tuned N54 335is and had zero issues also. They are currently "flagging" tuned cars and will most likely deny warranty claims if they feel the broken part is tuned related.

Life is a full of gambles. No risk no reward!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #7
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
BMW just seems to care more about tuned cars now then they used to a few years back. I had a Cobb tuned N54 335is and had zero issues also. They are currently "flagging" tuned cars and will most likely deny warranty claims if they feel the broken part is tuned related.

Thank you that is what I wanted to know! Seems that they have really upped their interest in detecting tunes, I just wasn't sure if there was something specificity that they weren't previously able to do in their detecting efforts.
      05-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Quote:

Thank you that is what I wanted to know! Seems that they have really upped their interest in detecting tunes, I just wasn't sure if there was something specificity that they weren't previously able to do in their detecting efforts.
I think they are paying more attention. From what I understand so are the other manufactures (Audi, VW, etc etc...)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
Quote:

I think they are paying more attention. From what I understand so are the other manufactures (Audi, VW, etc etc...)
Well I think they must be since several years ago on e90post everyone used to say that the if you just remove the tune and clear the codes the dealer wouldn't be able to detect anything, but that seems to have changed