Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Nitrous on F80

What's up everyone, need some advice, was thinking of running a 50 shot of ZEX nitrous on my f80. Been doing some research but I can't find absolutely anyone who has done it anywhere on the web. Wondering how safe it is even though it's only a 50 shot? Would appreciate some legit opinions from people know of it or have done it! My car is FBO right now so I'm kind of tapped and looking for some more power without spending 6k+ for a turbo kit from PURE. Was going to go with port injection but reconsidered due to complexity of it and I already have meth installed anyway.

So please, some professional opinions on this subject. Really want to do this 50-75 shot asap

Thanks for taking time to read!
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Intentions View Post
What's up everyone, need some advice, was thinking of running a 50 shot of ZEX nitrous on my f80. Been doing some research but I can't find absolutely anyone who has done it anywhere on the web. Wondering how safe it is even though it's only a 50 shot? Would appreciate some legit opinions from people know of it or have done it! My car is FBO right now so I'm kind of tapped and looking for some more power without spending 6k+ for a turbo kit from PURE. Was going to go with port injection but reconsidered due to complexity of it and I already have meth installed anyway.

So please, some professional opinions on this subject. Really want to do this 50-75 shot asap

No. Stay away from nitrous on the stock bottom end.

The instantaneous additional torque caused by nitrous, especially during peak VE, is hell on the rotating assembly, particularly the connecting rods and piston wrist pin. If you had a built bottom end, it would be a different story.

You're asking for trouble with nitrous on the stock setup. Just save some money and go with a set of Pure turbos.

Are you using a back end flash at all?
Appreciate 1
Soofy209.50
      05-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Quote:

The instantaneous additional torque caused by nitrous, especially during peak VE, is hell on the rotating assembly, particularly the connecting rods and piston wrist pin. If you had a built bottom end, it would be a different story.

You're asking for trouble with nitrous on the stock setup. Just save some money and go with a set of Pure turbos.

No. Using JB4 don't want to get voided at the dealership
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Appreciate the input though. I thought a 50 shot wouldn't hurt anything much
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nitrous doesn't hurt anything, until it hurts something. Trust me, stay away, especially on a FBO with maxed-out stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nitrous doesn't hurt anything, until it hurts something. Trust me, stay away, especially on a FBO with maxed-out stock turbos.
I believe you. Will take your word for it and avoid any issues. I was getting ton of misleading info saying it'll be fine blah blah
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe you. Will take your word for it and avoid any issues. I was getting ton of misleading info saying it'll be fine blah blah
I bet. Everybody has an opinion as do I. But speaking from lots of experience, unless you have a built bottom end, I would not attempt it. The S55 is way too expensive to fix/replace should it give up the ghost.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
IBFreeman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Macan Turbo

Quote:
I bet. Everybody has an opinion as do I. But speaking from lots of experience, unless you have a built bottom end, I would not attempt it. The S55 is way too expensive to fix/replace should it give up the ghost.
Cary is right. NOS is such a turnoff IMO
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

with a 50 shot you may need to retard timing advance couple degrees.

many years ago I had a plate system spraying a 175 shot on an N/A engine.

it was fun but refills are a PITA.

with an S55 I would spray meth instead.
Appreciate 0