GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Question Not another "will this void my warranty" question

Simply put, I plan on doing a stage 1 DME tune (HEX if you are curious). My car is leased. If I have a repair bill I will pay it if I have to with no complaints.

However, when I turn my car in at the end of the lease, if my car is flagged between now and then, i was told today by my SA that BMW cannot warranty the car to whomever purchases it after me.

Thus I can be forced to buy the car upon lease termination. I have not have time to read my lease agreement to see if there is a provision in there for this but why read the documents I signed when I can ask the internet?

Anyone have any feedback?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
There is likely something in the lease contract that says you are not allowed to modify the car.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 4
      06-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Simply put, I plan on doing a stage 1 DME tune (HEX if you are curious). My car is leased. If I have a repair bill I will pay it if I have to with no complaints.

However, when I turn my car in at the end of the lease, if my car is flagged between now and then, i was told today by my SA that BMW cannot warranty the car to whomever purchases it after me.

Thus I can be forced to buy the car upon lease termination. I have not have time to read my lease agreement to see if there is a provision in there for this but why read the documents I signed when I can ask the internet?

i have never heard this? buy the car after lease completion. you can legally fight that to no end. Have u looked at the full contract?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Quote:

At the end of my lease, my dealer's 'used car guy' and my salesman were pleased at the mods I had done on my e92M3, Dinan: engine and transmission software... I was concerned, as you are, that they could refuse the return of the car but perhaps leasing another vehicle from them, the minor nature of the 'tunes,' and that they sell Dinan products made a difference. Despite legal lease agreements, I think it comes down to the individuals involved and what they plan to do with the car. All this to say it's a risk if you do not return the car in the same condition it was purchased in, excepting wear and tear... Just my 2 cents. Read you contract...
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLOimJ View Post
i have never heard this? buy the car after lease completion. you can legally fight that to no end. Have u looked at the full contract?
Have not so far. it is at home and I went from the dealer straight to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
It should be a closed-ended lease....you're under zero obligation to buy the car at the end of the contract. That said, I think you're on the hook to return the car in the same condition, less normal wear and tear. BMW offers lease protection for the people (i.e. Me) who don't want to deal with the BS on turn in.

I'm also not one to make a bunch of performance changes to a vehicle that technically isn't mine. I'm renting it from BMWFS for 36 mos. At the end of that, I can buy it and do whatever I want to it
      06-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
scott13
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 | BSM | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
There is likely something in the lease contract that says you are not allowed to modify the car.
^^^
This.

There's definitely language in a standard lease agreement that clearly says you're not allowed to modify the car. IIRC, the way it's written you aren't supposed to even make minor cosmetic changes (without BMW's consent?). That said, I doubt the "punishment" is that you have to buy out the car, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's some steep penalties they could enforce.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:

Lease = not your car, you are renting it. How are you supposed to modify a company's car man?

If you want to modify it or are thinking of buying it at the lease end, just finance it.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
mhjeep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yes, at the end of BMW lease, you are required to return it in same condition as when you bought it, i.e., black 19 inch wheels, etc.

That said, there are plenty of forum members that modify their cars out the wazoo even if they are leasing. Towards the end of the lease, they go through the hassle of parting out what they modded. Now there are some things you can do such as "official" bmw accessories that will likely not get you dinged if you decide to turn the car in that way but then you basically just gave back a BMW part to BMW that you paid for. This is why I'd recommend that if you decide to mod, big or small, that you save all the original parts. With things such as a flash tune, you are taking a gamble since you are tampering with a "stock" part instead of merely exchanging it. I think this is why most, if not all, people who lease and mod use piggybacks.

In light of this, I am curious as to why you would use a flash tune if all you plan is a stage 1 when there are plenty of stage 1 piggybacks that give you similar gains. Heck, I have an ESS tuning piggyback that I'll let you have for $200 if you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 05:15 AM   #10
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjeep View Post
Yes, at the end of BMW lease, you are required to return it in same condition as when you bought it, i.e., black 19 inch wheels, etc.

That said, there are plenty of forum members that modify their cars out the wazoo even if they are leasing. Towards the end of the lease, they go through the hassle of parting out what they modded. Now there are some things you can do such as "official" bmw accessories that will likely not get you dinged if you decide to turn the car in that way but then you basically just gave back a BMW part to BMW that you paid for. This is why I'd recommend that if you decide to mod, big or small, that you save all the original parts. With things such as a flash tune, you are taking a gamble since you are tampering with a "stock" part instead of merely exchanging it. I think this is why most, if not all, people who lease and mod use piggybacks.

In light of this, I am curious as to why you would use a flash tune if all you plan is a stage 1 when there are plenty of stage 1 piggybacks that give you similar gains. Heck, I have an ESS tuning piggyback that I'll let you have for $200 if you want.
You can bench flash the Hex back to "locked stock". Cannot resell it to recoup some costs though.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #11
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

You can resell BM3 though. Only flash that can do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:12 AM   #12
mhjeep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Exactly. Hard to sell flash tunes as they are usually coded to the VIN, with exception of BM3.

They do still require you to tamper with the ecu, just like if you were to say, repaint your stock wheels or brake calipers. BMW may not care or notice under terms of the lease but it's a gamble.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:15 AM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:

Because flash > then piggy by a large margin
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #14
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:

Hey Frankie can we meet up after you do the "deed"? I want to check out the Hex in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #15
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

Just to play devil's advocate, how can BMW force you to buy the car? Just say you legitimately do not have the cash on hand to do so. I can't see how BMW would have any means to force you to buy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #16
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, how can BMW force you to buy the car? Just say you legitimately do not have the cash on hand to do so. I can't see how BMW would have any means to force you to buy it.
They can litigate. they have done so in the past to a friend of mine who modified his car by installing an exhaust valve controller. He ultimately prevailed.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Hey Frankie can we meet up after you do the "deed"? I want to check out the Hex in person.
IF i do the deed I would be happy to meet up with you brother.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:39 AM   #18
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I am just as interested in the acoustics of the tune, i.e., burbles, as I am the increase in power. Piggyback doesnt accomplish that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #19
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

I had read somewhere on these forums that someone tuned their car and had it un-tuned and traded it back in at BMW. The car was flagged (no more BMW warranty) but they just added a 3rd party warranty onto the flagged car and sold it like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Your lease contract prohibits you from modifying the car.

It's line 35 if I recall. You can be charged back for modifying/altering the vehicle.

If they flag your car as modified, and I assume if BMW FS is notified they could immediately terminate your lease as you would be in default of the terms. They could and probably would require you to purchase the vehicle or have you cover the wholesale loss if they auction a vehicle with no warranty.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18183.50
      06-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #21
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Your lease contract prohibits you from modifying the car.

It's line 35 if I recall. You can be charged back for modifying/altering the vehicle.

If they flag your car as modified, and I assume if BMW FS is notified they could immediately terminate your lease as you would be in default of the terms. They could and probably would require you to purchase the vehicle or have you cover the wholesale loss if they auction a vehicle with no warranty.
This is the credited answer. You can't mod a leased car, even cosmetics, or you've violated the contract and all penalties apply. It is 100% in the BMWFS contract you signed: you mod you broke the contract.

Lots of people do modify leased cars and then just reverse the mods - technically that's a violation but nobody looks too close ... unless your dealer decided to tell BMWFS.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #22
Daxos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Though my car is financed and not leased I've had my car appraised by my dealership during routine maintenance. It has a tune, full Akrapovic exhaust and DP's, heat exchanger, chargepipes etc.
I was given a fair quote (upper KBB value) from my dealership under the condition I'd remove the mods before selling back to them.

I believe it depends on your relationship with your dealership on what they are willing to do for you.
Appreciate 0