Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Downpipes

Questions...

I am considering putting on some downpipes. I currently have a Magnaflow Sport system and have removed my secondary cats. I'm looking for a bit more sound (and the added power would be nice, too).

My question(s) are...
1. How risky is this as far as my warranty is concerned?
2. If I took them off (apparently they are bolt on/ bolt off, would BMW be able to tell they were ever even there?
3. Will they throw CEL's?
4. What downpipes are everyone running/ average cost for parts/install? (I have been given a decent quote from SSR performance for their downpipes-- its a reputable shop her in southern CA).

I know pretty much ANYTHING can void my warranty. I know it's best to have a service writer that is "mod-friendly" which I currently do. However, that being said, I'd rather not have to go down that road.

Anyone's thoughts/inputs are much appreciated.

Cheers!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

1. It's only risky if the installer doesn't know what they're doing and they damage something. Also, if you take it to a dealer don't bring it in for a check engine light bc they'll most likely deem the downpipes the culprit; which it probably is.
2. Any reputable dealership should be able to tell that the catalysts have been molested. There will be tool marks, possible rerouting of the oxygen sensor lines, orientation of the clamps, etc.
3. It most likely will throw CEL if you don't have equipment installed to nullify them or lie to your DME.
4. Most people run the downpipes that cost in the $800-$1200 range bc apparently everyone here is ballin'. But you can find some $350 VRSFs that do the same job and apparently have great build quality. You can research the brands on your own quite easily; just hit the search button.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr006rbc View Post
1. It's only risky if the installer doesn't know what they're doing and they damage something. Also, if you take it to a dealer don't bring it in for a check engine light bc they'll most likely deem the downpipes the culprit; which it probably is.
2. Any reputable dealership should be able to tell that the catalysts have been molested. There will be tool marks, possible rerouting of the oxygen sensor lines, orientation of the clamps, etc.
3. It most likely will throw CEL if you don't have equipment installed to nullify them or lie to your DME.
4. Most people run the downpipes that cost in the $800-$1200 range bc apparently everyone here is ballin'. But you can find some $350 VRSFs that do the same job and apparently have great build quality. You can research the brands on your own quite easily; just hit the search button.

Great info! Thank you. I don't have anything nullify/ lie to the DME. The CEL would def bother me.

I have faith the shop would do a nice job on install but I suppose it makes sense that there would be evidence of tampering in that area.

Decisions... decisions... so tempting but that fear of what could happen... lol
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Most popular for us are the VRSF and AR Design
Other really good options, Active Autowerke and Evolution Racewerks

Phone number 702-494-9435

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 06-17-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Most popular for us are the VRSF and AR Design
Other really good options, Active Autowerke and Evolution Racewerks

Downpipe will throw a code unless you have a JB4, BM3 or O2 spacers

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't really thought about that until now reading people's replies. I guess I'd have to tune it if I'm going down the downpipes road which makes sense in hindsight.

The JB4 does sounds pretty solid from many people's reviews...

So damn tempting. Warranty shmarranty. lol
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

You're at risk if anything actually does go wrong, cars are flagged at the dealer ship if they're ECU is flashed and if it is plugged into their command unit. Typically, cars are never plugged in, if they are doing maintenance or service - Brakes, Oil Change, etc.

2. If I took them off (apparently they are bolt on/ bolt off, would BMW be able to tell they were ever even there?

No, they would not be able to tell. Most dealerships actually do not have any problems with downpipes. They do throw a CEL though if you do not opt for a tune (JB4 or ECU flash) or the Macht Schnell EVC.

It's typically a 2 hour job for the downpipes, prices vary with shop labor rates.

Yes

4. What downpipes are everyone running/ average cost for parts/install? (I have been given a decent quote from SSR performance for their downpipes-- its a reputable shop her in southern CA).

A lot of people are running a VRSF, ER, Gintani, FI, and Akrapovic. These are the most common brands that we see come through our shop.

I know pretty much ANYTHING can void my warranty. I know it's best to have a service writer that is "mod-friendly" which I currently do. However, that being said, I'd rather not have to go down that road.

Charlie@McKennaBMWService is pretty close to you. I've known Charlie for years and can vouch that he will take care of your car, stock or modded.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post

You're at risk if anything actually does go wrong, cars are flagged at the dealer ship if they're ECU is flashed and if it is plugged into their command unit. Typically, cars are never plugged in, if they are doing maintenance or service - Brakes, Oil Change, etc.

No, they would not be able to tell. Most dealerships actually do not have any problems with downpipes. They do throw a CEL though if you do not opt for a tune (JB4 or ECU flash) or the Macht Schnell EVC.

It's typically a 2 hour job for the downpipes, prices vary with shop labor rates.

Yes

A lot of people are running a VRSF, ER, Gintani, FI, and Akrapovic. These are the most common brands that we see come through our shop.

Charlie@McKennaBMWService is pretty close to you. I've known Charlie for years and can vouch that he will take care of your car, stock or modded.

Thanks man. I actually take it to Charlie. I text him just now inquiring his input...

Thanks so much for the input!!
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't really thought about that until now reading people's replies. I guess I'd have to tune it if I'm going down the downpipes road which makes sense in hindsight.

The JB4 does sounds pretty solid from many people's reviews...

So damn tempting. Warranty shmarranty. lol
Just remove it before your dealership visit, totally worth it

Appreciate 1
RockinPA4848.00
      06-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Im getting Downpipes put on in two weeks and I thought the CEL would bother me but its prob just as annoying as the MDM/TC light?

I have the JB4 and dont feel like messing with the MAPS just yet but maybe Ill throw it in to Clear the DP Code.

Dumb question but I have AA Full exhaust will adding DPs give me any more HP? (doing it for Sound anyway)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 05:57 PM   #10
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Im getting Downpipes put on in two weeks and I thought the CEL would bother me but its prob just as annoying as the MDM/TC light?

I have the JB4 and dont feel like messing with the MAPS just yet but maybe Ill throw it in to Clear the DP Code.

Dumb question but I have AA Full exhaust will adding DPs give me any more HP? (doing it for Sound anyway)
Nice, which did you go with?

What exhaust set up do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinPA View Post
Quote:

Nice, which did you go with?

What exhaust set up do you have?
ER Downpipes and I currently have the AA Midpipe As well as their Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Downpipes will add a little bit of power, and a lot more sound. The stock cats are huge. AA with stock dp is around 105 decibels, adding downpipes will bump it up to around 115-116.

You'll feel a bit more throttle response as well.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Downpipes will add a little bit of power, and a lot more sound. The stock cats are huge. AA with stock dp is around 105 decibels, adding downpipes will bump it up to around 115-116.

Ok thanks, not unbearably loud is it? Its my daily and dont want an obnoxiously loud/drone type of sound
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]http://www.supersprint.com/public/img/2_59447.jpg[/IMG]
Ok thanks, not unbearably loud is it? Its my daily and dont want an obnoxiously loud/drone type of sound
I don't think it's too loud. It picks up sound on throttle. Cruising isn't bad at all

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think it's too loud. It picks up sound on throttle. Cruising isn't bad at all
Ok perfect, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #16
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ok perfect, thanks
No problem
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #17
mquatro
Rep
Drives: Hellrot BMW M4

Go for it! DP+JB4 is a perfect combo
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #18
Dwdrums00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Any negligible reduction in 1/4 time if you add DP's to a car already running JB4 MAP 2 w/ 100 Octane? I am running 11.34's and wonder if I can shave a tenth with DP's?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I have never experienced a CEL with my VRSF DPs. Though my mechanic is knowledgeable enough to run a spark plug non-fouler ✔️
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #20
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwdrums00 View Post
Any negligible reduction in 1/4 time if you add DP's to a car already running JB4 MAP 2 w/ 100 Octane? I am running 11.34's and wonder if I can shave a tenth with DP's?
Absolutely. I ran a 11.25 with ER downpipes and 3gal E85 on JB4 map2, stock mpss, and stock everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
I have never experienced a CEL with my VRSF DPs. Though my mechanic is knowledgeable enough to run a spark plug non-fouler ✔️

I didnt throw a code with my ER downpipes until like 3k miles later
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquatro View Post
Go for it! DP+JB4 is a perfect combo
+1

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #22
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

How are you guys living with the CEL. It would really annoy me! But I do want to make ZCP exhaust louder
Appreciate 0