Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
YangEnterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BMW M4 - JAVA GREEN

AC Fabrication exhaust nightmare.

Hello all,

First off, I would like to point out that Mike @ X-PH is awesome. Communication between me and Mike were on point.

Alright...here comes the fun part. Oh, where to begin.....

Let's start by saying my experience with Burger Tuning (BMS) was good. Before my M4, I had a BMW 135i with a JB4. Car ran excellent and the communication was adequate.

I was in the market for an exhaust system for my M4. REMUS, AA, Akrapovic and BMS peaked my interests. I was specifically looking for a low deep sounding system and BMS caught my eye. I spoke to Mike @ X-PH and started asking questions on the BMS system. He informed me that they were running a special price on Burger Motorsports system.

So I took a shot and purchased it directly through X-PH. Shipping was fast, and packaging was again, on point....

Upon opening the system I noticed the axle back portion was dented as well as the tips being dented. I had my exhaust installed by a BMW Master technician / shop foreman of a major BMW dealership. He has been working on BMW's for 10+ years and he is a good friend of mine.

The install took about 1.5 / 2 hours with small breaks in between. After the install was finished, we noticed the axle back portion rubbing against the rear diff and the exhaust tips being extremely off.

When I started the vehicle, I noticed this rattling sound which we both thought was coming from where the exhaust was rubbing on the diff. We adjusted it the best we could and nope, still heard this annoying rattle.

Upon inspecting the rattle, my friend (shop foreman) noticed the inside of the driver side exhaust resonator having poor weld spots which is causing a vibration inside the chamber.

On April 24th, I took pictures, sound clips and sent them over to Burger Tuning as well as Mike. Mike responded right away apologizing for the damage and informed me the damage could've been from the shipping company. Mike then told me it does seem off and there shouldn't be a rattle. He then told me to wait until Burger Tuning emails me back.

Ando @ Burger Motorsports responds back apologizing for the damaged tips and dent but informs me there is nothing they can do and that I can adjust the tips since they are made of aluminum.

Ando then informs me that he isn't sure on the fitment of the exhaust system because a company called AC Fabrication makes them. So you guys are selling a system with YOUR company website but aren't sure on the fitment? Interesting....

Ando lets me know the rattle does seem off but for it to be a manufacture defect, I would have to send it back to X-PH (under my own expense aka pay for shipping), have them check it out, if they don't find anything wrong with it, I would have to pay for shipping just to get it back.

After that, Ando basically drops off the face of the earth and stops all communication. Not even a check up.

On May 24th, (yes, an entire month goes by without any form of follow up on how I am doing), I emailed Ando, Mike and AC Fabrication on getting a new system altogether from them because the rattling is unbearable at this point.

Mike does email me right away letting me know the only person who can help me is Ando and AC Fabrication. Okay, so I waited...and waited...and waited...

May 28th, I emailed Ando and AC Fabrication again asking if they received my last email and if they were going to help me out and if not, I am going to report them to the BBB. Ando and AC Fabrication emails me right away and responds with;

"What is your shipping address. I will send you a new driver side exhaust system and it will go out by Monday".

Fair enough. So Monday comes along, no tracking #. So I emailed them Monday night asking if it was shipped. No response. 8 days later, AC Fabrication emails me with the tracking information...8 freakin days later!?

Okay, well I just finished installing my new driver side system provided by AC Fabrication and Burger Tuning and oh my f*cking god...they cut the exhaust tips to short so the BMS 3.5 inch exhaust tips I purchased won't fit correctly. So I had to improvise and use the factory BMW tips which still don't fit right but better that the BMS 3.5 inch tips.

Do they not care about quality, customer service, reputation? This company has lost my business forever...It's a shame, exhaust sounds amazing but quality, fitment and overall communication is beyond sh*t.

Stay far away from this exhaust system. It will bring nothing but frustration and anger...

***Update (6/15/2017)***

Terry Burger and Mike @ Extreme Powerhouse took care of the issue. Terry Burger apologized numerous times and kept in contact with me throughout the entire process.

Quote Terry Burger;

"What a mess. Sorry no one told me what was
going on or I would have jumped in sooner. We're going to drop the ACF
exhaust all together I'm done with those guys. It works and sounds
good but the service is not where we expect it to be. We sold around 10 ACF exhausts, 7 guys loved it, 3 guys including you had fitment problems that we needed to engage ACF for. I love how it sounds and how light it is but its just not worth
it for us if 30% of the customers are not happy with the process".

Terry offered me a partial refund as well as an apology not only from him but his entire staff at BMS. I am glad BMS is dropping AC Fabrication.

Burger Motorsports has earned my business once again and I am glad this was resolved peacefully.

I would also like to give a big shout out to Mike @ Extreme Powerhouse. Not only did he keep in contact with me but made sure I was taken care of. I will continue being an Extreme Powerhouse client as well as give them nothing but high praises to fellow M / BMW owners.

Thanks for everyone who supported me. Love you Bimmerpost family!

Last edited by YangEnterprise; 06-15-2017 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
YangEnterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The basic problem is this isn't a Burger Motorsposrts part. The catback is made by AC Fabrication and Burger was simply a reseller of it, as is x-ph, myself, and other vendors. I'm sure they'll take it back for refund if you're not happy with it.

Keep us updated

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
YangEnterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

I already asked for a refund. Won't give me one. I'm more frustrated with the communication between AC Fabrication and BMS. I understand the exhaust is made by AC Fabrication but in a sense, BMS is representing them. To me, communication is key. I own a company and communication is probably the most important thing I inform my employees. Having a company fu*k up twice is no excuse...First, the rattle and dent, second time, exhaust tips cut to short and preventing there own tips not to fit. Unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

OP,
Thank you for the review, feedback and pictures.

Completely agree with you on the quality of the system you have received. It is not acceptable and you should not have to keep it if you are not happy with it.

This issue will be taken care of, i can promise you that.
You can either return it for a full refund (and get the shipping costs covered) or get a partial refund and keep the exhaust.

You should have already received an email couple minutes ago with the different options we are offering. Please let me know what you decide to do.

Thank you and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Kooch102.00
      06-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Woah.

That... might be the worse thing I have seen in a very long time. Good luck with this. Jeebus.
      06-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Between this fabspeed and MPE what is up with F8x exhaust market?! Just a bunch of lame duck exhausts and this is from an MPE owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #8
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Wow yeah I would send that back and have them switch it out with the AWE resonated exhaust. But, mike@xph is a great guy and he will take care of you even though it should be AC Fabs job since they are the ones who package it. I would post this on N54tech or email Terry.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Didn't have time to read through your whole post OP but posts like this always make me wonder why people don't just get exhausts that are well proven and well tested .. Like Akra (Most Expensive), Remus (Middle), Magnaflow (Cheapest)..
Appreciate 1
EALm43346.50
      06-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I get the feeling that after the fabspeed drama, this will be resolved quickly.

If not... well, better start paying attention to these posts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #11
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
Didn't have time to read through your whole post OP but posts like this always make me wonder why people don't just get exhausts that are well proven and well tested .. Like Akra (Most Expensive), Remus (Middle), Magnaflow (Cheapest)..
exactly. The AC fab exhaust looked like some ghetto corner muffler shop put together and the sound is just mehhh
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
exactly. The AC fab exhaust looked like some ghetto corner muffler shop put together and the sound is just mehhh
couldn't agree with you more. I'm shortlisting exhausts right now and the only ones that make the cut for me are:
1. Akrapovic [If I can afford it and get a used one maybe]
2. Remus with 102 carbon tips [Most likely]
3. Magnaflow Sport Black [If I am feeling cheap]

Based on my research all three are top notch in build quality and great sound. The above exhaust looks like shit, OP why did you even select it??

Last edited by w00tw00t; 06-15-2017 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
M4RAUDR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AY M4

java green is dope af
2016 AY M4 : SB Full Leather : HRE P104 20" x 9.5" Front / 11.5" Rear : Pirelli PZero Nero GT 255/30/20 Front / 305/25/20 Rear : CCBs : KW v3's : Active Autowerke Full Exhaust & DPs : ESS Silicon Charge Pipes : VF HEX Stage 2 : VF TCU : Status Gruppe Rear Diffuser : M-Perf Side Blades : M-Perf Front Lip : Reus Audio System : Painted Side Reflectors : Black Grill Surrounds : Black Side Markers
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

+ 1 for Remus. Best customer service as well.
      06-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

You bought a s*** exhaust from a company best known for boost controllers, I think its great and used it plenty on my m4/m5 when it was the only options, and some of the stuff is great alternative when their are no other choices, but you've got tons of great choices exhaust wise, than to settle for what they're offering.

I don't think you bare any responsibility for the sh* communication or s* craftsmanship, but I do think you get what you pay for in situations like this.
Appreciate 2
w00tw00t408.00
      06-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #16
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

Sorry to hear this I won't ever buy an exhaust that isn't built in house. When I was installing my Remus my installer stated it fit like a glove, usually he has to adjust some things to make other aftermarket exhaust fit but the Remus was a breeze.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
You bought a s*** exhaust from a company best known for boost controllers, I think its great and used it plenty on my m4/m5 when it was the only options, and some of the stuff is great alternative when their are no other choices, but you've got tons of great choices exhaust wise, than to settle for what they're offering.

I don't think you bare any responsibility for the sh* communication or s* craftsmanship, but I do think you get what you pay for in situations like this.
Burger Tuning are not the manufacturer of the exhaust. AC Fabrication is.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #18
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
Magnaflow sport is 1000x better than BMS for roughly the same price
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #19
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Burger Tuning are not the manufacturer of the exhaust. AC Fabrication is.
Burger Tuning might not be the manufacturer but it's what they sell. What they sell is part of their reputation
Appreciate 3
Jaymax85714.00
M5Rlz248.50
      06-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
YangEnterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep

***Update (06-15-17)***

Terry Burger contacted me last night thanks to Mike@N54tuning forwarding the thread to Terry.

Terry apologized for the entire headache I've been through and he did agree that the exhaust looks like sh*t. He was completely unaware of the situation as Ando never told him.

He informed me that they've sold 10 systems and 3 out of 10 were defective like mine. So Terry told me this was the last straw and decided to pull the plug on AC Fabrication and will no longer do business with them.

Terry agreed to refund the BMS 3.5 inch tips ($200) since they don't fit the exhaust they sent me and agreed to partially refund me as well as keep the exhaust as a token of apology.

I will keep everyone posted on when I receive my refund.
Appreciate 1
M5Rlz248.50
      06-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangEnterprise View Post
***Update (06-15-17)***

Terry Burger contacted me last night thanks to Mike@N54tuning forwarding the thread to Terry.

Terry apologized for the entire headache I've been through and he did agree that the exhaust looks like sh*t. He was completely unaware of the situation as Ando never told him.

He informed me that they've sold 10 systems and 3 out of 10 were defective like mine. So Terry told me this was the last straw and decided to pull the plug on AC Fabrication and will no longer do business with them.

Terry agreed to refund the BMS 3.5 inch tips ($200) since they don't fit the exhaust they sent me and agreed to partially refund me as well as keep the exhaust as a token of apology.

Nice

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #22
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangEnterprise View Post
***Update (06-15-17)***

Should have just bought my Remus + AA midpipe that I had up for sale for 2 months. Decided to just buy another M3 and throw it on this one instead lol.

For someone w/ a java green M car I would've thought you would have gone w/ nothing less than Akra/Capristo or some other baller pipes.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8174.00