BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, M3, California, 911T

Can I ignore tickets I receive while doing European Delivery?

I have a general question for all that have taken European delivery and traveled with their new car to Italy. So I am picking up an individual m4 convertible next Tuesday. Trip will include driving Germany, Austria, Switzerland and all around Italy. In several articles I have read there are plenty of restricted driving areas within towns like Rome or Florence, Italy. They are called ZTL zones. Tickets generally are mailed to the car owner who it's registered to. Now I get it for rental cars, if a ticket is issued the rental car company will probably pay your ticket using your on file credit card. But in my case my m4 belongs to me and will be shipped back to the USA. So my question is, do I simply ignore any parking / driving zone tickets I might get? Does not sound like the foreign authority has any legal teeth for cars in the USA? Thanks for responses for all that have gone thru this.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

The temporary Munich plates will have your USA address on the registration. You will get likely get the tickets.
Appreciate 1
stormlv932.00
      09-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
I have a general question for all that have taken European delivery and traveled with their new car to Italy. So I am picking up an individual m4 convertible next Tuesday. Trip will include driving Germany, Austria, Switzerland and all around Italy. In several articles I have read there are plenty of restricted driving areas within towns like Rome or Florence, Italy. They are called ZTL zones. Tickets generally are mailed to the car owner who it's registered to. Now I get it for rental cars, if a ticket is issued the rental car company will probably pay your ticket using your on file credit card. But in my case my m4 belongs to me and will be shipped back to the USA. So my question is, do I simply ignore any parking / driving zone tickets I might get? Does not sound like the foreign authority has any legal teeth for cars in the USA? Thanks for responses for all that have gone thru this.
I'd suggest parking your car at the hotel and move around the congested cities using alternate methods. Less hassle having to deal with parking and narrow city streets.

As far as tickets go, I've read on the forum that the authorities keep it on record and you can be confronted at immigration the next time you fly into the Eurozone. I've driven Italy a lot and my advice would be to err on the side of caution.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10816.50
      09-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Don't know about the other countries, but don't fuck around with tickets in Switzerland either
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 2
04RC51950.50
      09-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #5
CenCal X3M Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
When I did my ED, I would drive under the posted speed limit in the cities; typically the locals around would do that too.

Do you plan to do your drop off in Italy?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal M4 View Post
When I did my ED, I would drive under the posted speed limit in the cities; typically the locals around would do that too.

Quote:

No. Back in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Quote:
I'd suggest parking your car at the hotel and move around the congested cities using alternate methods. Less hassle having to deal with parking and narrow city streets.

As far as tickets go, I've read on the forum that the authorities keep it on record and you can be confronted at immigration the next time you fly into the Eurozone. I've driven Italy a lot and my advice would be to err on the side of caution.
Quote:

Don't plan on driving around. Only point A hotel to point B hotel but I will be forced to drive thru these ZLT zones in Italy.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Jsimon
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Meaning pay the tickets from the U.S.?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

If you ever have any interest in visiting Europe again, you should take care of the ticket.

I received one years ago, with correspodense sent to me entirely in Dutch. That was fun. They WILL keep track of that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 10:55 PM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
If you don't pay EU tickets, they can hold you at the border and prevent you from entering next time ... will they? Depends on if you want to take the risk.

The Swiss ... well they can take your car amongst other shit.

I got tickets last time from lots of countries: italy, france, switzerland, germany, belgium. I paid all of them except Belgium, and only not them because after following all of their instructions they never got back to me and I've checked 3 times since then and they have no clue.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-10-2017 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
stormlv932.00
      09-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
I've clocked over 4000 miles on two ED's and a rental in central EU and not once received a ticket.... I was _very_ surprised since I was sure the Polizei tagged me on the A10 south of Salzburg this last ED and I was moving at a pretty good clip. Anyhow, just drive smart on the A-roads, don't speed on the B-roads -- the speed limit info displayed on the HUD/instrument cluster isn't there for the heck of it....use it

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
Thescout134947.00
      09-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post

Anyhow, just drive smart on the A-roads, don't speed on the B-roads -- the speed limit info displayed on the HUD/instrument cluster isn't there for the heck of it....use it
Or ...
just drive however the fuck fast you want and pay the tickets as part of the experience knowing that it won't hit your US insurance

But be a little careful in Switzerland and Austria
Appreciate 3
Ibiza3611.50
      09-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

My true story . . . I was driving my buddy's ED M6 vert between Milan and Chamonix. I had just finished a stretch driving between 140 and 150 mph on the Autostrada where the speed limit was 130km/h (about 80 mph). No problems. As a matter of fact, I was passed by several exotics and one massive RR. Then I entered the Mont Blanc tunnel and I dropped my speed way down. The speed limit in the tunnel was 70 km/h. About half way thru, I saw a flash of light and knew it was a speed camera. As I exited the tunnel, two officers - a French gendarme and an Italian polizia stradale - are in the middle of the road waiving me over. It turns out I was driving 76km/h - 6 (six!!!) kms over the speed limit. And that was following a stretch in Italy that I was driving nearly 2x the limit!

Well, it was a 50 Euro fine that I had to paid on the spot at the station just outside the tunnel. I have to admit, my buddy and I were having a hard time controlling our laughter at the whole incident. The gendarme/polizia were pretty friendly and even gave me a photocopy of the picture from the speed cam. It was a great ED souvenir worth the 50 Euro!

Last edited by hinckley; 09-09-2017 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50
      09-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #14
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
My true story . . . I was driving my buddy's ED M6 vert between Milan and Chamonix. I had just finished a stretch driving between 140 and 150 mph on the Autostrada where the speed limit was 130km/h (about 80 mph). No problems. As a matter of fact, I was passed by several exotics and one massive RR. Then I entered the Mont Blanc tunnel and I dropped my speed way down. The speed limit in the tunnel was 70 km/h. About half way thru, I saw a flash of light and knew it was a speed camera. As I exited the tunnel, two officers - a French gendarme and an Italian polizia stradale - are in the middle of the road waiving me over. It turns out I was driving 73km/h - 3 (three!!!) kms over the speed limit. And that was following a stretch in Italy that I was driving nearly 2x the limit!

Well, it was a 50 Euro fine that I had to paid on the spot at the station just outside the tunnel. I have to admit, my buddy and I were having a hard time controlling our laughter at the whole incident. The gendarme/polizia were pretty friendly and even gave me a photocopy of the picture from the speed cam. It was a great souvenir worth the 50 Euro!
Wow, that was actually a cool story bro!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 04:01 PM   #15
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Wow, that was actually a cool story bro!
Thanks, and no word a lie - although I did edit my post because I messed up km's and miles. It was 6 km or about 3.5 miles per hour over the limit. A great ED story that my wife would never have been able to appreciate had she been with us!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #16
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
My true story . . . I was driving my buddy's ED M6 vert between Milan and Chamonix. I had just finished a stretch driving between 140 and 150 mph on the Autostrada where the speed limit was 130km/h (about 80 mph). No problems. As a matter of fact, I was passed by several exotics and one massive RR. Then I entered the Mont Blanc tunnel and I dropped my speed way down. The speed limit in the tunnel was 70 km/h. About half way thru, I saw a flash of light and knew it was a speed camera. As I exited the tunnel, two officers - a French gendarme and an Italian polizia stradale - are in the middle of the road waiving me over. It turns out I was driving 76km/h - 6 (six!!!) kms over the speed limit. And that was following a stretch in Italy that I was driving nearly 2x the limit!

Well, it was a 50 Euro fine that I had to paid on the spot at the station just outside the tunnel. I have to admit, my buddy and I were having a hard time controlling our laughter at the whole incident. The gendarme/polizia were pretty friendly and even gave me a photocopy of the picture from the speed cam. It was a great ED souvenir worth the 50 Euro!
Doesn't really surprise me.

Presumably they wanted to make sure that you pay the fine since your buddy was on temporary plates.

Also, they take these things really seriously after the Mont Blanc tunnel accident in '99 (35 dead).

In addition to the speed limits you also have to obey a 150m distance between the cars. You can also get fined for that if you don't pay attention.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
In addition to the speed limits you also have to obey a 150m distance between the cars. You can also get fined for that if you don't pay attention.
Umm, that's over 1.5x the length of a football (American) and futbol (soccer) field between cars.... you sure that's correct?

Cheers,
      09-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Umm, that's over 1.5x the length of a football (American) and futbol (soccer) field between cars.... you sure that's correct?

Cheers,
Positive

https://www.chamonix.net/english/tra...t-blanc-tunnel

"The minimum speed limit is 50km/h and the maximum speed limit is 70km/h. In addition, vehicles are expected to maintain a distance of at least 150m between each other.

There is a time delay on cars leaving the péages (toll booths) and signs to remind drivers to respect the speed limits and to maintain safe distances. Failure to respect these limits will incur severe, on the spot, fines or even a suspension of the driver's licence."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #19
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
Positive

https://www.chamonix.net/english/tra...t-blanc-tunnel

"The minimum speed limit is 50km/h and the maximum speed limit is 70km/h. In addition, vehicles are expected to maintain a distance of at least 150m between each other.

There is a time delay on cars leaving the péages (toll booths) and signs to remind drivers to respect the speed limits and to maintain safe distances. Failure to respect these limits will incur severe, on the spot, fines or even a suspension of the driver's licence."
LOL, damn! At least they're trying to do some pacing at the toll booth. I bet enforcing the distance is fun for them....
      09-09-2017, 10:44 PM   #20
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley

I had a similar experience like yours. It was back in 2009, and I was doing ED and driving in Italy. I got flashed on the autostrada. An Italian polizia stood in front of me after a toll booth and waving me to pull aside to the road. He showed me the speed reading and asked for around 35 euro fine. I told him I did not have any cash o me and there wasn't any gas station or atm around the toll booth station. He told me there is a gas station in about 50km from the toll booth, so I asked him if he let me drive to there and get cash. At first he wouldn't let me go, instead asked my wife to go while I waited at the toll booth, but my wife didnt know how to drive MT, so we were just standing there and figuring how to pay the fine. In about 30 min later, he just let us go without paying the fine.
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #21
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't plan on driving around. Only point A hotel to point B hotel but I will be forced to drive thru these ZLT zones in Italy.
If you're staying at hotels inside the ZTL, email the hotels once you know your license plate number. The hotels should help you register your car with the agency that enforces the ZTL.
Some localities have barriers or gates that control access to the pedestrian zones, like Bellagio and Sirmione. When stayed inside the pedestrian zone we were given a code to punch in at the gate or the police checked to make sure we were in the hotel guest list.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:31 AM   #22
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Don't ignore the tickets, like others said, they can hold you at the border. I got flashed three times in France last year and I still haven't received any tickets from France. I didn't remember any flashes in Italy, but back in April, 9 months later, I received a ticket in the mail from Florence with a pic of me flying down the autostrada and a link to it online....lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0