BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Spacers for Irma

We're as ready as we'll ever be for (I'm told again and again) the biggest, baddest hurricane in recorded history. What are we supposed to do until Irma gets to Tampa? My wife and four South FL refugees apparently want to drink beer and stare at the Weather Channel. No! Instead, I just installed a pair of 12mm Apex spacers on my rear wheels.

After I cleaned the hub and mounting points, the install went smoothly until I realized I don't have a 17mm socket that fits my torque wrench. So torqued them as evenly as I could with a tire iron.

My son loves the stance, and so do I. "Mean," he said. The Apex spacers appear precisely engineered to fit my Apex EC-7s like a rifle bolt. I wanted a completely flush look to match the fronts, although 12mm was cutting it very thin with only 13mm between the fender lip and fattest part of the 295/30-19s.

My son and I just got back from a 30-mile loop in what passes for hills north of here -- a surreal twilight drive with virtually no traffic. I did my best to compress the suspension on the tight turns and got no rubbing at all (we'll see what happens with rear passengers and luggage). No vibration whatsoever up to 85 coming back on I-75.

So, a success and a welcome reprieve from the non-stop deluge of hyped-up over-sharing on TV. Now for another beer.

Before and after:
Attached Images

Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Looks great! I'd say go for some 15mm's.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

The new stance looks great! Glad the 12mm spacer worked well for you. Stay safe this weekend sir!

-Matt
      09-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
Megabrode
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Matt. We've been through a few of these, and wll do our best to get through this one. And thanks for the advice on the purchase.

Another question for you. What's the recommended wheel bolt torque with these 12mm spacers? Information online is mixed, most saying the normal 88 ft-lbs, a few saying ~105 to compensate somehow for the spacers. Torque may not be all that critical, but I might as well get it right.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Hey Megabrode, not sure how I feel about you staying but I'm certain Irma doesn't have the balls to mess with you and your friends.

Bimmerpost member Theodore is getting a ride going in the General area over there next Sunday. Not sure if you saw his thread or not but maybe it's something you may consider depending on the effects of Irma.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
Thanks, Matt. We've been through a few of these, and wll do our best to get through this one. And thanks for the advice on the purchase.

Another question for you. What's the recommended wheel bolt torque with these 12mm spacers? Information online is mixed, most saying the normal 88 ft-lbs, a few saying ~105 to compensate somehow for the spacers. Torque may not be all that critical, but I might as well get it right.
Sure thing! I would recommend sticking with BMW specifications when it comes to torque spec. Anywhere between 85ft-lb to 90ft-lb will be fine for you. Sounds like 88 is right on the mark

-Matt
      09-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #7
blue-mw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nice stance! Congrats on the upgrade and stay safe my friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #8
Megabrode
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Hey Megabrode, not sure how I feel about you staying but I'm certain Irma doesn't have the balls to mess with you and your friends.

Bimmerpost member Theodore is getting a ride going in the General area over there next Sunday. Not sure if you saw his thread or not but maybe it's something you may consider depending on the effects of Irma.
Boof, it weakened significantly. No issues for us.

Thanks for the tip about Saturday. I checked out the thread, sounds like fun, and will PM Theodore if I can make it. I'd love to meet some fellow owners. This is my favorite of three M3's I've owned over the past 15 years. The other two, both gone:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #9
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Yes I'm very happy it has weakened a bit. The ride is Sunday not Saturday.

I have been thinking about spacers but I try to draw as little attention to my wheels as possible as I only picked up my car a little over a month ago and the wheels need to be re-powder coated. First world problems as they say.
I evacuated to Atlanta (not by choice) and I won't be able to sleep until it passes quietly over the St Pete/Tampa area. Stay safe Mega.
Appreciate 0